Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Monthly Challenge 7
mobile9 Forum > Competition Arena > Design Challenge
Pages: 1, 2
CrazEric
MDC - January 2012

Welcome to the Monthly Design Challenge
The challenge for those who are truly passionate about learning photoshop designing.
In short – this is a month long challenge where you will create something new and original, drawing & coloring every pixel yourself using Photoshop only.

After some consideration I'm going to try and keep the MDC going into 2012.
For the next 3 months we will focus on learning - therefore I will only be accepting Photoshop entries.
Your photoshop psd must contain the vector shapes you drew with the pen tool.
I hope that with the help of some tutorials we'll get a few more people to join us this month (and the 2 months after that).
This month we will focus on creating vector shapes with the Photoshop Pen Tool. At the end of the 3 months of "learning" (if we have enough participants) we will continue the MDC as usual.

So here's what we are doing this month ...

Topic: Bird wallpapers
Create, draw and color a bird character of your choice. The focus of this challenge is the creation of the bird character but after creating your character you will also create a background from scratch (a simple color or gradient or pattern background is all that you need) and then upload your wallpaper to the gallery.
It can be based on any kind of bird - owl, parrot, vulture, penguin, twitter bird, etc.
Remember that I want to see the vector shapes you drew with the Pen tool in your psd. If you need to convert the shape into a Smart Object and/or Rasterize is - copy the layer first and keep the original vector shape in your psd. You should be doing this anyway in case you need to make changes to the shape or size later on.

Dimensions: The bird character should be between 400 - 900px wide or high.
The wallpaper size will be 1024 x 1024px (Apple iPad gallery)
(please only post a smaller preview of 650 x650px here is the forum)

Closing Date: Sunday 29 January 2012

To help you get started I've posted some twitter bird tutorials here: Click
(you can also try the RoC bird tutorial I wrote in post #4)

If you get stuck with any tutorial then please ask about it here & we will try to answer your questions.
And remember it takes time and lots of practice to get good results with the Pen Tool - but you will get better!

I recommend that you look at this twitter icon video - he covers just about all the basic techniques you need to know about using the Pen Tool to create your own vector shapes Link

Participants:

- Aleena143
- mohamedali05
- sp0rtskiller03
- soumyadeepbshn
- anulubi
- your_mother
-
-
-
-
Aleena143
WOW,ths is really nice eric..i didnt even read the topic..but im really very very happy seeing mdc again...im was eagerly waiting for it.

add me eric.
mohamedali05
wow.gif Thanks Eric for this nice idea , i was learning to use pen tool from several tutorials in web (they say pen tool can be your best friend in PS) laugh.gif plz add me too , will try to come with something for this MDC , thanks notworthy.gif
sp0rtskiller03
only photoshop? no GIMP?
sp0rtskiller03
also, i have a feeling that we're going to have an ANGRY BIRDS M9 edition app here. hehehehe
soumyadeepbshn
Really great Intentions behind the topic , notworthy.gif honestly I'm terrible wid d pen tool , fryguy.gif I'll try my best 2 learn . sleep.gif
All the links are really helpful , going 2 download the video now . mf_type.gif
really really excited 2 learn something new . wow.gif
my speech is finished , Eric u can add me now . punk.gif
anulubi
hoooh thats tough! but i love to learn.. great to have mdc again.. clapping.gif
thanks you sooooooooooooooo much eric, you are very helpful wow.gif
CrazEric
Great to see you all here clap.gif I've added all 5 names? unsure.gif

I'm not sure why the Pen Tool seems so difficult at first ... after using it a while it really isn't difficult.
In fact it's now my favorite Photoshop tool!

Sporty - yes for the next 3 months I'm excluding gimp file entries. And yes I wont be surprised to see some AngryBirds laugh.gif
Aleena143
BENnGWEN
Hi! Happy New Year 2012 to u all once more wub.gif wub.gif
I thought I might not miss any challenge this year, but new year & new challenge rules whistle.gif dry.gif laugh.gif
No, actually, I hav no photoshop with me, I had once, but now, CS5 is not available to me, tried to download that too, but no success crybaby.gif
Never mind, I'll visit time & again may b in weekly challenges tongue.gif laugh.gif
Love U All Guyz winkiss.gif wub.gif
your_mother
Quick question:
I want to see the vector shapes you drew with the Pen tool in your psd.

Does that mean I can't rasterize the shapes?
Aleena143
Yes eric i too ve that doubt..whenever i draw thro pen tool..after i do ctrl enter to make it a selection...so we dnt see pen tool lines there...

is there anyother way????to keep it!!!!
CrazEric
Mostly done with my 1st bird - I probably wont enter this month but I'm still going to enjoy making something tongue.gif

Mother - right click on layer thumb and Duplicate the shape layer - set the bottom layer invisible then rasterize and continue to work on the copy layer instead.
I want to see both layers in the psd like this:

Aleena - I want you to work with the Pen tool set to Shape Layers instead of set to Paths and then do what I described to mother.

soumyadeepbshn
@ Eric , dancing Penguin , wonderful . 10.gif

I was making a bird like Roc with help of ur tutorial . I have some doubts as the bird needs really few use of the pen tool . do we need to make the bird shapes only with pen tool ? can't we use ellipse, polygon like tools ? unsure.gif
CrazEric
QUOTE (soumyadeepbshn @ Jan 2 2012, 10:05 AM) *
@ Eric , dancing Penguin , wonderful . 10.gif

I was making a bird like Roc with help of ur tutorial . I have some doubts as the bird needs really few use of the pen tool . do we need to make the bird shapes only with pen tool ? can't we use ellipse, polygon like tools ? unsure.gif

No ... I want you to use the pen tool whenever you can because the more you use it the better you will get at making the shapes you will need in future (like next months challenge tongue.gif ) but you dont have to use it if the Ellipse & Polygon shapes are all that you need thumbsup.gif If you look at last months winning mascot (Pillow) you can see that I made the entire panda from Ellipse shapes (head, body, eyes, ears, arm, legs) only the bamboo and flower was other shapes.
Aleena143
wow..eric awesome penguin.love it.

yes eric i understand ur steps. thanks
CrazEric
Well the penguin is not a very original idea ... it's based on this ice skating penguin http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-84775231/s...lustration.html

but thanks notworthy.gif
soumyadeepbshn
QUOTE (CrazEric @ Jan 2 2012, 01:55 PM) *
No ... I want you to use the pen tool whenever you can because the more you use it the better you will get at making the shapes you will need in future (like next months challenge tongue.gif ) but you dont have to use it if the Ellipse & Polygon shapes are all that you need thumbsup.gif If you look at last months winning mascot (Pillow) you can see that I made the entire panda from Ellipse shapes (head, body, eyes, ears, arm, legs) only the bamboo and flower was other shapes.

Well , thnx Eric , my doubts are cleared now smile.gif , I'll try to use the pen tool more as it is for our own good . weightlift.gif
your_mother
Hmmm.... ok... that might be a stupid question, but is it okay like that too?

Layers

Paths

Great work with the penguin, by the way!!
CrazEric
QUOTE (your_mother @ Jan 2 2012, 03:12 PM) *
Hmmm.... ok... that might be a stupid question, but is it okay like that too?

Great work with the penguin, by the way!!

Thanks wink.gif

I want to see at least 1 or 2 of these vector shape layers in the psd (depending on how complicated you birds shapes are)

so just keep 1 or 2 vector shaped layers and then you can use your paths + other techniques as much as you want.
All I really want to see is the everyone faces the "demon" of creating shapes with the Pen Tool (how much you use it then is up to you) laugh.gif
I don't want to stop you from using the techniques you already know altogether.

Everyone - I've added some more tutorials in the Introduction Thread link byebye.gif
(pen tool video at the beginning and bird tuts at the end of the last post)

EDIT: Some people say they learn more from looking at psd's than from reading tutorials ...
so here is a link to a couple of bird psd's LINK they dont contain vector shape layers so dont even try entering them as your work! tongue.gif
mohamedali05
My first bird using pen tool :i didn't created it,just practising on a pic .
CrazEric
QUOTE (mohamedali05 @ Jan 5 2012, 02:30 AM) *
My first bird using pen tool :i didn't created it,just practising on a pic .

Great result - I see you managed to get some nice smooth lines! wow.gif
your_mother
QUOTE (CrazEric @ Jan 2 2012, 02:44 PM) *
so just keep 1 or 2 vector shaped layers and then you can use your paths + other techniques as much as you want.
All I really want to see is the everyone faces the "demon" of creating shapes with the Pen Tool (how much you use it then is up to you) laugh.gif

But this paths are created by using the pen tool with this options activated:

They are basically the same as a vector shaped layer... Just that the vector is not visible in the layer, but in the path section. unsure.gif Sorry if I'm annoying, I just find it hard to change what I'm used to...
CrazEric
QUOTE (your_mother @ Jan 5 2012, 01:24 PM) *
QUOTE (CrazEric @ Jan 2 2012, 02:44 PM) *

But this paths are created by using the pen tool with this options activated:

They are basically the same as a vector shaped layer... Just that the vector is not visible in the layer, but in the path section. unsure.gif Sorry if I'm annoying, I just find it hard to change what I'm used to...

We'll be working with paths in next months topic & as you say they are basically the same so it shouldn't be hard to use the shape instead of the path?
I cant see your work paths when I download a psd - so for all I know it's a cutout or something from the many psd's available on the web but with a shape layer I can always see that it is something created by you.
your_mother
QUOTE (CrazEric @ Jan 5 2012, 04:21 PM) *
We'll be working with paths in next months topic & as you say they are basically the same so it shouldn't be hard to use the shape instead of the path?
I cant see your work paths when I download a psd - so for all I know it's a cutout or something from the many psd's available on the web but with a shape layer I can always see that it is something created by you.

Ok, no problem... smile.gif
CrazEric
i finished my wallpaper by i dont like it ... it looks so boring 1.gif

Aleena143
excellent wally eric love all the things,i wish i can do like u.wow.
your_mother
QUOTE (CrazEric @ Jan 5 2012, 09:34 PM) *

I like it very much!! 10.gif
Aleena143
Ali bro wonderful try

and here my try.

anulubi
eric your just amazing bro, great wall 10.gif wow.gif

aleena, wow wow superb work dear 10.gif wow.gif

well i didnt start yet, but i want to make sure, that i can imitate other birds cartoon pics from other sites ( with changing its color) unsure.gif
sp0rtskiller03
@eric - regarding the white thing overlaying sun, did u use brush for that and just masked it with a brush? or it is a shape then u masked it with a brush? (i wish u know what i mean)
CrazEric
QUOTE (Aleena143 @ Jan 8 2012, 12:30 AM) *
Ali bro wonderful try

and here my try.

great parrot aleena - love it 10.gif

QUOTE (anulubi @ Jan 8 2012, 02:12 AM) *
well i didnt start yet, but i want to make sure, that i can imitate other birds cartoon pics from other sites ( with changing its color) unsure.gif

dont wait to long before you start weightlift.gif whip.gif

QUOTE (sp0rtskiller03 @ Jan 8 2012, 05:13 AM) *
@eric - regarding the white thing overlaying sun, did u use brush for that and just masked it with a brush? or it is a shape then u masked it with a brush? (i wish u know what i mean)

you can read the sun tutorial here link

BUT I didnt even read that part I only wanted to see how the rays of the sun was made so ...
I did it the same way I always make a "glossy" or "reflection" effect (learned it from reading web button tutorials)
described in point 1.6 of my RoC bird tutorial link

CrazEric
looks like once again this months MDC is not going to be a success sad.gif

anyway ... another one from me
(i'll change the text if I can think of something better)

your_mother
QUOTE (CrazEric @ Jan 15 2012, 10:53 PM) *
looks like once again this months MDC is not going to be a success sad.gif

Yeah, sorry I just didn't find any time yet. But I will try to make something...

Great work Aleena & Eric, by the way. I don't think I will be able to top that... smile.gif
CrazEric
QUOTE (your_mother @ Jan 16 2012, 06:36 PM) *
Great work Aleena & Eric, by the way. I don't think I will be able to top that... smile.gif

thanks - whether you top it or not doesnt matter I'm just hoping everyone will learn some new skill or technique happy.gif

PS. Since we dont seem to have much interest I'll allow 1-2 entries per participant
also I'm only interested in the bird psd (I will trust everyone makes their own background)
Aleena143
i cant see ur last entry eric due to my slow connection..

but whatever u'll do great.

i'll try to do some more too.

i think let make banner for ths MDC too and invite all.

CrazEric
QUOTE (Aleena143 @ Jan 18 2012, 10:44 PM) *
i'll try to do some more too.

i think let make banner for ths MDC too and invite all.

Good I'd love to see another from you!

I also thought about a banner but I dont really want to advertise since it's an advanced competition compared to the others.
Aleena143
yes,..but lot may be there to learn more in photoshop that too like ths things...

and i dnt want to leave MDC. Have to do something.
Aleena143
here my first try

Aleena143
sorry.double post.
CrazEric
QUOTE (Aleena143 @ Jan 19 2012, 12:22 PM) *

lovely wallpaper aleena wow.gif wow.gif 10.gif

and since there's only a week left & you're the only entry ... congrats on winning gold tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Aleena143
Thanks eric...Oh Gold, wow thats nice..atleast i'll win gold like ths..haha.

hope entries will come at last min.
CrazEric
QUOTE (Aleena143 @ Jan 20 2012, 11:31 PM) *
hope entries will come at last min.

I hope so too surrender.gif

Entry thread is now open byebye.gif
Aleena143
eric here another bird,

how about ths??
CrazEric
QUOTE (Aleena143 @ Jan 23 2012, 04:18 PM) *
eric here another bird,

http://i44.tinypic.com/1053b86.jpg

how about ths??

yes yes yes I'm loving it clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif
your_mother
Awesome work, Aleena!! 10.gif

The only thing I have so far is one sketch:

I hope it's okay that I'm making a fantasy bird... It was inspired by a painting of a peacock, but it was getting too complicated, so I ended up painting something... ahm... don't know what it is...
CrazEric
QUOTE (your_mother @ Jan 23 2012, 10:02 PM) *
Awesome work, Aleena!! 10.gif

The only thing I have so far is one sketch:
http://www.dumpyourphoto.com/files3/92790/9Vpgw7hWdJf.jpg
I hope it's okay that I'm making a fantasy bird... It was inspired by a painting of a peacock, but it was getting too complicated, so I ended up painting something... ahm... don't know what it is...

that should make a good final image thumbsup.gif
doesn't matter if it's a "fantasy" bird ... I was actually thinking of making a phoenix (but didn't have the time to try).
anulubi
great works, i'll cmnt later for sure notworthy.gif
my POOOOOR work 1.gif 1.gif
Black Bird

Gallery Link
Bird.psd

CrazEric
QUOTE (anulubi @ Jan 24 2012, 08:29 PM) *
great works, i'll cmnt later for sure notworthy.gif
my POOOOOR work 1.gif 1.gif
Black Bird
Gallery Link
Bird.psd

No it didn't come out so "poor" at all laugh.gif and it's great to see something "dark" as an entry also - love the idea for your wallpaper! clap.gif

ok aleena you have some competition now - now you'll have to finish that second wallpaper tongue.gif
Aleena143
anu bro,urs is great not poor and ur wally is really awesome.

and yes eric im getting competition now,haha

here my another work..dnt how it looks...i feel like not good.

DOWNLOAD

BIRD psd
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.