Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Taj Mahal
mobile9 Forum > Beyond Mobile > Lounge
kewlone
The Taj Mahal - is the topic i chose for informative speech in my communication class!
i decided to speak on this topic becoz i believe i have more Indian friends wub.gif and i honestly wanted to explore more about Indian History and to begin with i decided to speak on the most beautiful buildings in History wub.gif

so what i want is a little more information on Taj Mahal from Indian Community here, please dont google and leave a passage here laugh.gif , i want you to share something interesting you know about Taj Mahal or if you have a book on it , then please mention the title, author's name along with the passage you would love to share wub.gif and i will include your name in the speech wink.gif thanks in adv. for any knowledge you may contribute thumbsup.gif
AMDOMINATOR
Ah Enna wub.gif

I'll Be Happy To Share My Knowledge With You.

So Here's Something

Taj Mahal Is One of the Seven Wonders of the World. It is considered to be A mark Of Love. Its a monument with immeasurable beauty even words are to less to describe. The Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan erected the Taj Mahal in the memory of his beloved wife Mumtaz Mahal. Shah Jahan met Mumtaz Mahal at the age of fourteen and fell in love at the first sight. She was a Muslim Persian princess and Shah Jahan was the son of the Mughal Emperor Jehangir. In The Year 1612 they got married. Mumtaz Mahal was an inseparable companion of Shah Jahan. She died in year 1631, while giving birth to their 14th child. Some people believe that during her last moments, Mumtaz Mahal obtained a promise from Shah Jahan that he will build world's most beautiful monument in her memory. But this is not proven till date. Regardless of the beliefs Shah Jahan did build a magnificent monument as a tribute to her wife, which we today know as the Taj Mahal. Shah Jahan himself also lies entombed in this mausoleum along with his wife.

Taj Mahal Situated In The State Of Utter Pradesh Was Constructed On The Banks Of The River Yamuna In The City Of Agra.
Its Construction Started In The Year 1631. It Took Around 22 Years To Build This Monument. Its Is Made Completely Out Of White Marble Which At That Time Was Imported In India From Central Asia. It Took Around 20,000 Laborers And Around 800-1000 Elephants. The Expenditure Of The Whole Construction Approximately 32 Million Rupees Which Would Probably Be Around 68000 USD. The Construction Was Completed In The Year 1653.
raj_1627
Wow amdo bro gave u full information 10.gif but i know something that i sud share.people say that shah jahan planed to make to two taj mahal one for his wife and 2nd for himself.he planed that 2nd taj would be opposite to taj mahal but in black colour.but he couldn't make it possible cause the lack of money(he spent alot money on real taj mahal) and also before he make it possible he was died. crybaby.gif
AMDOMINATOR
Actually There have been many disputes over the question that "Was there a Black Taj Mahal". Some ruins of a black marble structure are said to have been found across the river. These ruins are believed to be those of the alleged Black Taj Mahal. However, later, it was discovered that the marble that was used had become black from staining and was not originally white.

---

Some people also beileve that the craftsmen who had taken part in the construction of the Taj were disfigured after its completion. It is said that Shah Jahan got the hands of his architects and sculptors cut off so that they may never be able to build a monument as magnificent as the Taj again in their lifetime.

--

Well This Is All I Could Think For Now.

Enna I Hope You Find It Useful smile.gif
Raindeer123
At enna wub.gif amdo gave u complete brief of Taj Mahal in short smile.gif but sharing knowledge is good so here is mine wub.gif

Taj Mahal stands in the city of Agra, in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, on the banks of the Yamuna River. It was built in the memory of the beautiful Arjumand Bano Begum, who won the heart of a Mughal prince. She was married at 21 to Emperor Jahangir’s third son Prince Khurram and stayed loyally by his side through good times and bad: in the luxurious royal palaces of Agra as well as the transient tents of war camps. In AD 1628, Khurram became king after a bloody battle of succession: he took the name Shahjahan or “King of the World” and showered his beloved begum with the highest titles. She became Mumtaz Mahal, the exalted of the palace and Mumtaz-ul-Zamani, the exalted of the Age. But Mumtaz Mahal was not destined to be queen for long.

In 1631, Shahjahan went on an expedition to the south and, as always, Mumtaz Mahal accompanied him. But she died in childbirth at Burhanpur. She had borne Shahjahan fourteen children, of whom four sons and three daughters survived. When Mumtaz Mahal died, she was just 39 years old. Shahjahan was inconsolable and contemporary chronicles tell of the royal court mourning for two years. there was no music, no feasting, and no celebration of any kind
kewlone
wow guys you are just wonderful wow.gif wow.gif wow.gif i love the black taj mahal's info too, something unique and interesting thumbsup.gif

also about the workers i heard they were killed surrender.gif well how can i testify this , any book its mentioned unsure.gif

guess what i found 3 newspaper clips from 1800s from New York Times and The Washington Post about it, i was so thrilled by looking at the date wow.gif wow.gif wow.gif

@ raindeer wow.gif thanks buddy great piece of info notworthy.gif
Raindeer123
You are welcome anytym smile.gif
rohan89devil
Wow!!!

Dom has explained most of the stuff that I know of laugh.gif

Great job bro thumbsup.gif

I'll give some basic facts smile.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taj Mahal is situated on the bank of Yamuna river which flows right behind the monument.

It is said to be the finest example of Mughal architecture which shows the influence of Persian, Turkish and Indian architectural styles.

Mumtaz Mahal actually died in Burhanpur, Madhya Pradesh and was buried there for a temporary period of time and later on shifted to the Taj Mahal after its completion.

Death of his beloved wife was a major set back for Shah Jahan. Shah Jahan went into depression and was ill for quite a long duration due to which Dara, his and Mumtaz's eldest son, took the rule in his hands causing a rift amongst his brothers. Although Shah Jahan had recovered, his son ,Aurangzeb, put him under house arrest in the Agra Fort regarding him as inept to rule anymore. Shah Jahan was kept in a room through which he could see the Taj Mahal daily.

After his death, Shah Jahan was buried next to Mumtaz Mahal's tomb. The tomb of Mumtaz Mahal is aligned centrally with the structure. Hence, the tomb of Shah Jahan is said to be the only asymmetrical part of the Taj Mahal.

Due to the dome structure of the Taj Mahal, it does not have any pillars. The actual graves of the couple are beneath the main chamber which contains the replica of the original ones. The ornate designs and the mosaic patterns were made by inlaying the most exquisite and the most exotic jewels of that time.

There have been various claims and controversies surrounding the Taj Mahal. It was claimed that the Taj Mahal was originally a Shiva Temple built by an Indian king which was taken over by the Mughals and converted into a tomb. But all such speculations are regarded as empty claims.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this was helpful smile.gif
kewlone
here's what i found about black taj mahal http://english.ntdtv.com/ntdtv_en/ns_asia/...6911744868.html

thanks Rohan wow.gif wow.gif wow.gif
rohan89devil
QUOTE (kewlone @ Feb 22 2011, 12:05 AM) *
also about the workers i heard they were killed surrender.gif well how can i testify this , any book its mentioned unsure.gif

These occurrences are unaccounted. They never kept any records of such events back then.

Some say that the hands of the workers were cut off, some say they were blinded but there is no record relating to this deed.
rohan89devil
Read this about the Black Taj Mahal -> Click Here
kewlone
Thanks Rohan wub.gif

as i can see in these websites that these are myths thumbsup.gif so it could be added in the speech about the myths of Black Taj Mahal clap.gif
and that the workers hands were cut off wow.gif

i am getting excited now to start with this speech wow.gif
rohan89devil
The mystique of the Taj Mahal is due to the fact that there are no evidences of these events. There is a possibility of such occurrences happening, but due to no record they are considered as myths. smile.gif

You can end your speech by leaving the audience in the mid air about these facts. Leave it to them to imagine what's true and what's not. Ending it in a mysterious fashion will give the speech a magical touch. Just a thought. smile.gif

By the way, Glad that I could help wub.gif
kewlone
omgosh thanks Rohan wow.gif wow.gif i was lost with ending but yes now i know how to end my speech wink.gif

my first speech about the occasions celebrated in Arab countries was messed up in the end laugh.gif i forgot my speech and all that time i was holding the piece of paper in my hand , my legs were shaking and hands were cold laugh.gif anxiety /stage fright , which i think i will never overcome laugh.gif
rohan89devil
Stage fright is a common phenomenon. laugh.gif

To tell you the truth, I too get that alot. laugh.gif

The thing is to channelize this fright into confidence and orate clearly and confidently. Also, interact with the audience, not the ceiling laugh.gif

A handy tip - You'll find some people in the audience you are not that intimidated by. Keep changing your focus to such people whom you feel relaxed with. Don't stare at them the whole time but shift your focus to them whenever you start to feel conscious. thumbsup.gif

Before the speech, try practicing it on an audience like family members or friends. Keep your head calm, take deep breaths before entering the podium cuz lack of oxygen to brain also causes anxiety. smile.gif

Final word of advice, if ever you get stuck at a point or fumble with words, don't let that take you down completely. Move on with the rest of the speech. Keep telling yourself that you are doing great. Do not think about what others might be thinking. smile.gif

Best of luck with the speech thumbsup.gif

Hit me if you need any more help. smile.gif
topmanner1
Some interesting points are well noted by rohan,amdo,raindeer.smile.gifthumbsup.gif

I have a different view of it, I believe shahjahan is great in his love but Tajmahal is neither love palace nor a mausoleum.

In 1983, the Taj Mahal became a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Contrary to what visitors are made to believe the Tajmahal is not a Islamic mausoleum but an ancient Shiva Temple known as Tejo Mahalaya which the 5th generation moghul emperor Shahjahan commandeered from the then Maharaja of Jaipur. The Tajmahal, should therefore, be viewed as a temple palace and not as a tomb.

Taj Mahal alias Tejo Mahalaya, is an ancient Hindu temple complex in Agra. For the last 300 years the world has been fooled to believe that this stupendous edifice was built by the 5th generation Mogul emperor Shahjahan to commemorate one of his dead wives--Mumtaz.

From the well inside the Tajmahal, each and every view such as the frontal view and dome with the lotus flower cap, Hindu horizontal crescent and the coconut top at the pinnacle,the red lotus at the apex of the entrance, Vedic style corridors clearly suggest that so called Tajmahal is an altered version for Tejo Mahalaya.

Shahjahan might have been a true lover but Tajmahal is never his construction, he unfairly modified the place of divine and portrayed it as his own love palace fooling all the world leaving a mark of disgrace to the society. He was also so stingy as not to want to spend much even on converting a robbed Hindu temple into an Islamic mausoleum. Historic evidences make us understand that Tajmahal is originally a temple built long time ago by Tejaji.

Some of the evidences:

* Carbon dating of samples taken from the doorway of the Taj Mahal from the side of the Jamuna rivers revealed that the door was 300 years older than the period of Shah Jahan. The carbon dating was arranged by Marvin Miller, an economist in New York.

* Johan Albert Mandelso, a European traveller who visited Agra in 1638, seven years after the death of Mumtaz Mahal, vividly described the life of the city in his memoirs, but makes no reference to Taj Mahal or any large construction activity going on to build it.

* Peter Mundy, an Englishman, visited Agra within a year of Mumtaz’s death. From his writings, it appears that the Taj Mahal was already a noteworthy building well before Shah Jahan came to power.

I hope this information helps you in the preparation of your speech enna, I wish you the best.smile.gifthumbsup.gif

rohan89devil
Top manner, yep this was said to be a theory but it was rejected by the academic community widely as well as the Justice court of India smile.gif

As I already pointed this out in my previous post :

QUOTE (rohan89devil @ Feb 22 2011, 12:12 AM) *
There have been various claims and controversies surrounding the Taj Mahal. It was claimed that the Taj Mahal was originally a Shiva Temple built by an Indian king which was taken over by the Mughals and converted into a tomb. But all such speculations are regarded as empty claims.

If you want more info on this check this out -> Click here

This was the guy who proposed all that stuff and he was highly discredited for it worldwide. smile.gif
Star_Santa
its god thread kewlone thumbsup.gif

i no something about tajmahal i don't like to copy from google information & paste it here laugh.gif

Shahjahan build tajmahal after the death of his wife Mumtaz death , she was his 7th wife . she took promise from him that he should not marry any one after her death thumbsup.gif it was bulid over 20 years its true thumbsup.gif
rohan89devil
First of all one can not put a number on how many wives did Shah Jahan have, since, back in those days, kings used to marry quite frequently and used to have many courtesans. And the sole reason for marriage was either an agreement between the kings or just for pleasure. But still he was said to have 10 wives at least.

However rosy it may sound, but it ain't the reality. There is no account of him promising Mumtaz Mahal about not marrying again. Whereas, there are records showing that he did in fact marry after her death.
manjuraja
Hi Enna

About Taj..Here are some unbelievable incidents....

British Lords decided to dismantle Taj mahal to reassemble it in a Marvellous garden in England..Fortunately Lord Carson rejected this stupid idea and he bought a wall hanging light made in bronze from Cairo and we can see this light above the tombs of Shah jahan and Mumtaj..

After the death of Mumtaj, that is after a year,Shahjahan decided to build the Taj. Her dead body was buried in Bharhaanpur..But after six months it was brought to Agra with glory in a long procession.

A wonderful garden was selected by Shah jahan to build the Taj..It was belonged to King Jai singh..Shah jahan decided to pay 2 crore at first but decided to present 4 palaces to Jai singh to convey his love..

There was a rumor that the Plan(map) or blueprint was prepared by Vaeroniyo a wellknown sculptor from Venice, Usthath iza hahpandy from Greece and Usthath Ahmed from Lahore.

Holy Quran was printed allover the Tajmahal by Amanaath khan and we can see his signature in the Taj..

Due to the order of Aurangzeb, Shahjahan's dream of BlackTaj Mahal was still remain a dream and the dead body of Shahjahan was too buried very near to Mumtaj and this is the only thing we can find miserable and uncomfortable thing in the perfectly planned structure of the Taj..

I will be back with some other facts if possible..

For reference I recommend

1. Taj Mahal by Bikram Grewal
2.The Taj and Fatehpur Sikri by R.Ian Lloyd
3. Agra and Delhi by Leila Ghosh
4. Anecdotes of Aurangzib by Jadunath Sarkar
5. The crescent of India by S.R. Sharma
topmanner1
@Rohan - Yeah bro I checked it out, but when I saw the old images of Tajmahal I got into confusion. I think you are right becuase your view has the majority acceptance.smile.gifthumbsup.gif
rohan89devil
Well yeah, the Taj Mahal had a touch of Indian architecture too. But that P.N. Oak guy made such absurd claims about all that smile.gif

At first I too gave this thing a thought when I received this email about all that nonsense a few years back but then it all turned out to be baseless smile.gif

Its alright bro, mistakes happen thumbsup.gif

Also, I think that, the continuous raids and invasions on India might have lead to the loss of all the records that must have existed at one point of time. Hence, due to lack of valid evidences, our history is so obscure smile.gif
kewlone
topmanner , manjuraja , star santa thanks a million guys notworthy.gif notworthy.gif it will be really helpful wub.gif

@ manju great resources , definitely will take a look at them wink.gif thanks wub.gif

@ topy , just great evidences , it will support my speech notworthy.gif thanks wub.gif

@ rohan ..def. i will knock at your door laugh.gif thanks wub.gif
archerx99
Bravo guys!! I can see ur kind efforts and good team working of knowledge sharing. thumbsup.gifwow.gifwub.gif I will sure read the every reply/word of this thread soon.... wub.gif

Btw how many of you have been there...?? ...for how many times in real?? ...would you like to share any pic of ur sweetest memories??

kewlone
yeah first you share your pic Archy devil2.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif
rohan89devil
Yepppp... I was there in the year 2000 thumbsup.gif

Just once, but it was one amazing experience wub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

The aura of the place is just entrancing. It was breathtaking. It can not be expressed in words or depicted in pictures or videos, one needs to be there to experience the beauty. smile.gif
pankajdaddy77
sorry bro
rohan89devil
Whoaaaa!!! 29 Deliveries??? ohmy.gif

That is not even possible. I think.

Now, let's get back to reality, Mumtaz Mahal died giving birth to the 14th child. Out of these 14, 7 died and only 7 survived.

Also, explain me this, when she died she was only 38 years old, now how do you give birth to 29 children when you died at an age of 38. Mathematically, you mean to say that Mumtaz Mahal started giving babies since she was 9 years old. Are you freaking out of your mind????

Dang!!! People please get your facts straightened out. Do not post such bulls***. PLEEEEEEAAAAAASE.

EDIT :

Oh... and by the way, "disfingered" is not even a word tongue.gif
AMDOMINATOR
Hahaha laugh.gif

@ Pankaj

You're Crazy Man laugh.gif

@ Enna

You Can Refer To What I Had Typed In There For I Know Its Right And Also No S*** wink.gif

As For The Others

Well You Guys Did Great Too smile.gif

rohan89devil
Hey Dom bro byebye.gif

Well check out what Pankaj wrote, I just missed this thing previously laugh.gif

QUOTE (pankajdaddy77 @ Feb 23 2011, 09:57 AM) *

she was mother of 28 son

Whooooaaaaa ohmy.gif

28 children and all of them male ohmy.gif

What was she??? A machine or something??? laugh.gif
pankajdaddy77
i think that if Osama bin laden have 51 bro and sis than why do not have mumtaz
but seriously i had a message on my mobile saying something like that only so i had written
rohan89devil
They were not from just one mother.

Osama bin Laden's father had married 22 times and Osama was his only son from his 10th wife.

Try searching some stuff on Google or Wikipedia.
AMDOMINATOR
QUOTE (rohan89devil @ Feb 24 2011, 12:37 AM) *
Hey Dom bro byebye.gif

Well check out what Pankaj wrote, I just missed this thing previously laugh.gif

QUOTE (pankajdaddy77 @ Feb 23 2011, 09:57 AM) *

she was mother of 28 son

Whooooaaaaa ohmy.gif

28 children and all of them male ohmy.gif

What was she??? A machine or something??? laugh.gif

Haha I Know.
Which Is Really Insane laugh.gif

And Speaking Of Machine Well It Only Seemed Like 1 Kind wink.gif

Know What I Mean tongue.gif

Anyways

Enna Wanted Infos Bout The Taj Mahal. So People Lets Stay Focused On That smile.gif
kewlone
yeah he meant by that : 28 sons are possible if she was the 7th or 10th wife wink.gif so def. not all from Mumtaz Mahal wink.gif ofcourse twins triplets count too angel_not.gif
i am trying to memorize names , dates , i need coffee guys, and its just not even the start of this speech laugh.gif

Amdo your Info is really valuable wub.gif wub.gif i will write a speech and let you know what part of your info was added, and yes i have to credit you for that smile.gif
murphy222
love 10.gif
archerx99
so... ur TAJ MAHAL speech....

btw have u prepared well or still making notes??? can we see what have u prepared til date and wht is still left?? would u like to show us ur TAJ MAHAL speech before u delivery it on the stage on March 15th??

Sorry sad.gif ...I just read the every reply/ post here. I feel very good to see a nice example of knowledge sharing. I can see guys are full of knowledge. thumbsup.gif some posts are true & based on fact, some are interesting and some are just a Masaala News (Masala News = Chit chat without proven facts).

Remember... I asked something earlier:
QUOTE (archerx99 @ Feb 22 2011, 08:54 PM) *
Bravo guys!! I can see ur kind efforts and good team working of knowledge sharing. thumbsup.gifwow.gifwub.gif I will sure read the every reply/word of this thread soon.... wub.gif

Btw how many of you have been there...?? ...for how many times in real?? ...would you like to share any pic of ur sweetest memories??

I was just waiting for getting more information form everyone..... wink.gif

sorry guys I'm not pointing on you for the concepts like Black Tajmahal and 14-28-100 children of him.
One question to everyone do u have a proven fact from the Government of India or Doordarshan (DD) News abt the black tajmahal? if not then google it more or I'd like to prefer you to come to AGRA City and see the reality and know the exact history. I wonder how could I not come to know abt it till date since I belong to this City and tourism?? :help: wallbash.gif

I still do remember tht when I was in school I just came to know abt only four children of Shah Jahan's. Here i don't have need to tell you tht All the course books in schools are approved by the government and delivers true knowledge on a flat platform. smile.gif
I just wanna say 'A little knowledge is a dangerous thing'

Prince Khurram,son of Jahangir, ascended the throne as Shah Jahan (King of the World).He had four sons, who grew up in an atmosphere of bitter rivalry.
They were---
-Dara Shukoh
-Shah Shuja
-Aurangzeb
-Murad Baksh

@ Everyone ›—› I am just telling here my views. I just believe on the true knowledge which is presented with facts. I don't care about the other private new channels or masaala news, where sometimes they modify the facts. well I watched Peepli Live (2010), wht abt you..?? wink.gif One thing we all can do...If something is not 100% sure then leave that information. thumbsup.gif

I've got some good links:
The Tajmahal
indohistory

I personally like the beautiful lines at the starting and the end......
The Taj Mahal India was first described as "a drop of tear on the cheek of history" by India's Poet laureate, Rabindranath Tagore, who was Asia’s first Nobel Prize winner.

The Taj Mahal India encompasses a tragic and enduring love story in the perfect symmetrical dream in marble that is one of the Seven Wonders of the World.

The Taj Mahal India was created by Shah Jahan, the fifth Mughal Emperor as a monument to his love for his second wife, Mumtaz Mahal. Her final resting place is located in the city of Agra, in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, on the banks of the Yamuna River.

In the words of his court historian Muhammad Amin Qazwini " It will be a masterpiece for ages to come, increasing the amazement of all humanity."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP-YhQPnuNI
Taj Mahal: An Eternal Love Story (2005)
shuvashisroy
there in bangladesh here's also a Taj Mahal which has been made as same as That. It's situated at SonarGAON.
thewrench
taj mahal is a man's greatest errection for a woman laugh.gif
Abhitheracer
clap.gif
sksahoozzz
It was Made by Mogal Emporer Sahajahn in the Memory of his Wife Mamtaj.
I & all wondering the wonderfull wub.gif
vprocks
i am glad and very pleased to see that you had such keen interest in our historical epics

well to start with, who better can know taj except me coz iam from the city of taj- agra
and i have visited it many times.
there are so many things about the taj that pushes me towards it and to praise it.
and not to mention its lovely wonder made by the shah jehan depicting his love towards his mumtaj mahal.
tanshipandit
ancient art
lalji1561
The Taj Mahal

incorporates and expands on design traditions of Persian architecture and earlier Mughal architecture. The construction began around 1632 and was completed around 1653

thecerebalassassin
QUOTE (kewlone @ Feb 21 2011, 08:33 PM) *
The Taj Mahal - is the topic i chose for informative speech in my communication class!
i decided to speak on this topic becoz i believe i have more Indian friends wub.gif and i honestly wanted to explore more about Indian History and to begin with i decided to speak on the most beautiful buildings in History wub.gif

so what i want is a little more information on Taj Mahal from Indian Community here, please dont google and leave a passage here laugh.gif , i want you to share something interesting you know about Taj Mahal or if you have a book on it , then please mention the title, author's name along with the passage you would love to share wub.gif and i will include your name in the speech wink.gif thanks in adv. for any knowledge you may contribute thumbsup.gif

All i know is The Taj Mahal is a white marble mausoleum located in Agra, Uttar Pradesh, India. It was built by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his third wife, Mumtaz Mahal. It is one of the 7 Wonders of the World (that means still standing from when it waz built to now or present) and its height is 171 metres high.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.