Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mixing Tips (and Tricks)
mobile9 Forum > Competition Arena > Ringtone Challenge
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
pantoflica
LETS TALK ABOUT MIXING

Host for this thread is Kewlone

Tell us what mixing software you are using, what sites or programs you use for download music, ask questions about your mixes, how to improve mixing skills and everything else about that.
We expect you all to join the discussion - help, ask or give advice or link.

Hopefully, we all will learn from eachother and have more fun in and around Ringtone Challenge.

Thanks in advance for the help from you all notworthy.gif

thump_rockstar
I'm currently using Wavepad Sound Editor as my mixing software smile.gif

Plus point: Easy to use, better control on sub windows smile.gif
Drawback: Lacks some effects compared to Audacity smile.gif

Trick: Be patient and remember that the next transition could sound even better wink.gif

heshambassel
i am using audacity and sometimes i use Virtual DJ with it

i like audacity so much because it's easy to use and have alot of options smile.gif smile.gif
reed31
-I Use FL STUDIO
but i dont know plus and minus point this software because i never use another software surrender.gif

-does anyone know link for sound effect? surrender.gif
i only have from mp3 cd unsure.gif byebye.gif
p.snp
am also using audacity for sound mixing ...and also used Nero wave editor,Sound Forge 9.0 for cut mp3 songs......... smile.gif

lonelyboyiran
thanks a lot for opening this thread.
i use Acoustica MP3 Audio Mixer, and ulead video studio 11 for cutting mp3s.
thump_rockstar
Awesome wow.gif We have already had so many softwares exchanged wow.gif Great idea Curt and great work guys thumbsup.gif
ronaldo23
I use Audacity for the actual mixing of the tracks and Virtual Dj for the effects smile.gif
btw great idea Curt thumbsup.gif
Defil3d
First and foremost, Thank you to Jas for opening this thread, I tried, but didn't have permission dry.gif and thank you to everyone so far that has already participated in sharing your wonderful knowledge. smile.gif

So far, there has been 8 different software programs that you all have mentioned! That's amazing clap.gif I didn't know their are so many different programs out there. Here's a list so far of programs mentioned:

1. Audacity
2. Nero Wave Editor
3. FL Studio
4. Wavepad Sound Editor
5. Virtual DJ
6. Sound Forge 9.0
7. Acoustica MP3 Audio Mixer
8. Ulead Video Studio

Personally, I use Audacity, and for those of you interested in Audacity, you can learn more and download Here..

I've also tried Mixxx, which is Free Virtual DJ Software. However, I didn't care for it as much as Audacity, so I had stopped using it.

For those of you interested in Sound Effects, there are quite a few website out there that offer free Sound Effects. A lot of times, they'll be in WAV formats, which when I use with Audacity, I have no trouble with. There are also the MP3 Sound Effects (sometimes you have to pay a small fee for). Personally, I don't know a lot of great sites with free Sound Effects, but for the ones I do know, I will share with you.

1. I Love Wavs
2. WavSource
3. The Free Sound Project (Personally my favorite) smile.gif

Now for my first mixing tip. smile.gif
When I select parts for any of my mixes, I search for the parts that have the best "Transitioning" capabilities. Transitions are from where the end of one part comes together with the start of another. I try to make the transitions as smooth, and as less noticeable as I can. Most of the time, techno songs have the best capabilities for transitions.

Let me give you an example from a mix I made, with slow songs. Romantic Love Mix This mix was made by Two artist, "Boyz II Men" and "KC & JoJo". Out of these two artist, there were 4 parts to this mix. Can you notice the transitions? Not really huh? So you see, transitioning is very important in making your mixes.
lonelyboyiran
yup, i think transitioning is the most important things that we should pay attention to when we wanna mix, this is the most important thing for me when i wanna choose tracks and parts, as my mix groove-RC Week 124. the first part is a mix. as u all know there are two parts from a music, that i mixed them but u can't easily diagnose that it's a mix smile.gif
Defil3d
You are absolutely right Lonely. Your mix is another perfect example of smooth transitions. And because the mix is such excellent quality, people have noticed that, and you have close to 50,000 downloads in just 2 weeks! clap.gif Excellent work Bro! 10.gif
pantoflica
I luv when mix sounds like its whole song. Specially if I "work" with words - they have to have some "thought". (example: Let me love you - 6 different parts of same song and still sounds like one). Its hard to get words and beats together. So, if you want to do it and transitions are still not-so-good then use sound effect as "cover" . At least i am doing that. wink.gif
Beside Audacity (which is popular in here as i can see) i am using Acoustica Mixcraft 4 .
Its easy to use, specially for those who are new in mixing because it:
# Automatically detects beats points, keys and tempos of imported songs.
# Import WAV, AIF, OGG, WMA, and MP3 files
# has 18 powerful, built-in, effects including reverb, delay, EQ, compressor, flanger, chorus, distortion, auto filter, master limiter, phaser and a guitar amp simulator.
Put 2 songs (or part of songs) in one line and program will make transition wink.gif

@ reedy

I have FL for a long time on my computer - still didnt get how to use it. Looks very complicated for blonde like me.
surrender.gif
Any tips how to start.. how to save as mp3... how to mix at all? unsure.gif
Defil3d
How bout that, yet another mixing software program! clap.gif That puts the list to 9 different programs!

1. Audacity
2. Nero Wave Editor
3. FL Studio
4. Wavepad Sound Editor
5. Virtual DJ
6. Sound Forge 9.0
8. Ulead Video Studio
9. Acoustica Mixcraft 4

Jas, that is a brilliant idea. Taking one song with words, and rearranging the words to form a sentence, and yet, keep the same beat and tone! clap.gif
pantoflica
You could give people tasks in here... to put 2 part of songs together .. and lets see "what program" will win the best trasition wow.gif
lonelyboyiran
QUOTE (Defil3d @ Aug 19 2009, 12:36 PM) *
You are absolutely right Lonely. Your mix is another perfect example of smooth transitions. And because the mix is such excellent quality, people have noticed that, and you have close to 50,000 downloads in just 2 weeks! clap.gif Excellent work Bro! 10.gif

thanks bro, reason of 50,000 downloads is that it was in first page for a week, not that it's a good mix haha.gif
and really good mixes by you and jas, both are great and amazing clap.gif
Defil3d
QUOTE (pantoflica @ Aug 19 2009, 03:15 PM) *
You could give people tasks in here... to put 2 part of songs together .. and lets see "what program" will win the best trasition wow.gif

That's a great idea Jas clap.gif

For those of you who wish to participate, Take one part from each song, and mix them together. smile.gif

The two songs were chosen at random. Please state which program you used in making the mix.

DJ Bobo - Love is All Around (1).mp3 :
http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=..._Around__1_.mp3
DJ Splash - Ring Dinge Ding.mp3 :
http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=..._Dinge_Ding.mp3

@ Lonely, believe me, Bro, that is a terrific mix!

Update: Their are 10 Software Programs. I forgot to add one I had mentioned laugh.gif

1. Audacity
2. Nero Wave Editor
3. FL Studio
4. Wavepad Sound Editor
5. Virtual DJ
6. Sound Forge 9.0
8. Ulead Video Studio
9. Acoustica Mixcraft 4
10. Mixxx
reed31
@ to Jas...

i want to explain clap.gif ,but i dont know how to explain with my poor english unsure.gif tongue.gif
but i'll try....

@to start
-there six icon right on top,click open(new) audio editor,and will show EDISON MASTER and click on icon file(left)..and load file u wanna open..

@to mix it
-if u wanna mix file ,just right click on ur mix, go to edit and copy on file already there,and click again icon file(left) and load another tune, copy and paste insert... and will show two tune,u can load again another tune.(i'm not sure with this words sad.gif ) now u can cut file u want after that..

@to save
-click on icon file (left),click on save as,then save as "microsoft compressed wave file",dont save as another because it will not work.
it can't save as mp3,i use another sofware if i wanna save as mp3.. (MP3 Magix Maker)

thats my explanation,i hope ur understand,i already try best i can crybaby.gif crybaby.gif

-i think u right, this program very complicated,i need 2 week to understand this software(not all)
-maybe that reason make me feel lazy to try another software,because i don't want spend my time to learn more software.. wacko.gif tongue.gif byebye.gif
reed31
QUOTE (Defil3d @ Aug 20 2009, 03:36 AM) *

For those of you who wish to participate, Take one part from each song, and mix them together. smile.gif

The two songs were chosen at random. Please state which program you used in making the mix.

Update: Their are 10 Software Programs. I forgot to add one I had mentioned laugh.gif

1. Audacity
2. Nero Wave Editor
3. FL Studio
4. Wavepad Sound Editor
5. Virtual DJ
6. Sound Forge 9.0
8. Ulead Video Studio
9. Acoustica Mixcraft 4
10. Mixxx

what i must to do after remix both song? upload? and placed here? surrender.gif
sorry bro didnt understand... surrender.gif
srimunnamunna
i am using Adobe Audition for cutting and for mixing i am using Audacity
pantoflica
@ reedy

First of all - thanks a lot for tips. notworthy.gif (Till today with your help i didnt find way how to load tune lol)
Now i have a question:

QUOTE (reed31 @ Aug 20 2009, 09:40 AM) *
@to mix it
-if u wanna mix file ,just right click on ur mix, go to edit and copy on file already there,and click again icon file(left) and load another tune, copy and paste insert... and will show two tune,u can load again another tune.(i'm not sure with this words sad.gif ) now u can cut file u want after that..

If i load another tune - i get something like this:

How do you move parts to mix them? Coz they are now one after another. unsure.gif and i want (for example) to merge them together (end of the first part and begining of the second part).
reed31
QUOTE (pantoflica @ Aug 20 2009, 03:41 PM) *
@ reedy

First of all - thanks a lot for tips. notworthy.gif (Till today with your help i didnt find way how to load tune lol)
Now i have a question:

QUOTE (reed31 @ Aug 20 2009, 09:40 AM) *
@to mix it

If i load another tune - i get something like this:

How do you move parts to mix them? Coz they are now one after another. unsure.gif and i want (for example) to merge them together (end of the first part and begining of the second part).

just cut again on ur left or right mix ( u must cut entire mix) and paste insert to other mix, u can placed that mix where u want to place( i really not sure again with this word,hope u understand unsure.gif tongue.gif ) byebye.gif

how to upload that image?unsure.gif
pantoflica
Hm.. im not sure i understand that unsure.gif .... if i cut that parts - then they would not be mixed together.

You have print screen button on your keyboard. Press print screen button and then open some image editing program (i have photo shop) , open new blank image and press paste - you will have your desktop as image in there.
diabolical
Maybe I could also try to give some tips and trick, but let's see... smile.gif

wow.gif So many software in use for making mixes... but I'm not using any of those wacko.gif my personal favourite software for mixing (and my choice for it also) is Reaper

It gives me more control over transitions because it has different transition "curves". It also has (like most multitrack software) automated transitioning, just drag two parts into same track and overlap them and you have a transiton smile.gif but it isn't that simple, with that "technique" you most probably will end up with a crappy transition wink.gif So yes... I think (and agree with Curt, thumpy and Jasmina) when it comes to mixing, it's very important to have smooth transitions. And sometimes it takes patience to find where the beats match... so it sounds at least decent enough.

So the software I use is:
#Maybe hard to use at first glance for beginners (but it has alot of functions and buttons wow.gif and I like it that way wow.gif wow.gif )
#Not that hard to use when you get used to it wink.gif
#It has almost endless possibilities when it comes to effects (phaser, flanger, chorus and so on) since it can use: VST, VSTi and DX plug-ins and internet is filled with free plug-ins
#You can import e.g. MP3, WAV, OGG etc.

Screenshot of my last weeks mix with VST plug-in
pantoflica
Looks like complicated Audacity laugh.gif
I think i'll try to download it and bug you for tips, Harri! thumbsup.gif wink.gif
HamitShala
Thank you so much Curt bro! for the softwares smile.gif clap.gif
diabolical
QUOTE (pantoflica @ Aug 20 2009, 12:44 PM) *
Looks like complicated Audacity laugh.gif
I think i'll try to download it and bug you for tips, Harri! thumbsup.gif wink.gif

laugh.gif I'm ready Jasmina mf_type.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif
pantoflica
Looking at that screenshot actually reminds me on mixcraft. It is downloading now. Cant wait to try it. I luv when its complicated. Then at least i have the reason to bug people to help me haha.gif
reed31
QUOTE (pantoflica @ Aug 20 2009, 04:24 PM) *
Hm.. im not sure i understand that unsure.gif .... if i cut that parts - then they would not be mixed together.

You have print screen button on your keyboard. Press print screen button and then open some image editing program (i have photo shop) , open new blank image and press paste - you will have your desktop as image in there.

i mean not entire mix, but cut one of ur mix and paste insert near other mix already there ( u can put ur mix anywhere u want) byebye.gif

- i can't explain better:surrender: surrender.gif
lonelyboyiran
well, i think i mixed up wacko.gif
haha.gif
reed31
i mean not paste insert,cut again one of ur mix and then paste mixto other mix clap.gif
i'm sorry about my mistake notworthy.gif ...... tongue.gif haha.gif byebye.gif
nick222
Although reed seems to be making a cake mix (laugh.gif) I think he's trying to say there is an option called "paste mix"... I use another program called GoldWave, and it has 4 pasting options:

- The normal 'paste' option, which inserts the contents of the clipboard on another sound file where you indicate it to do it
- 'Paste new' option, which creates a separate sound file with the contents of the clipboard, which can be a portion of a larger sound file
- 'Paste replace' which replace the original sound with the contents of the clipboard
- 'PASTE MIX' which would mix the contents of the clipboard with your sound file starting at the time you indicate.

Probably Edison has a similar option... I think...

reed31
QUOTE (Defil3d @ Aug 20 2009, 03:36 AM) *

1. Audacity
2. Nero Wave Editor
3. FL Studio
4. Wavepad Sound Editor
5. Virtual DJ
6. Sound Forge 9.0
8. Ulead Video Studio
9. Acoustica Mixcraft 4
10. Mixxx

Hello curt Bro,i'm finished mix with that two song,i use FL Studio:

Love is All Around vs Ring Dinge Ding unsure.gif byebye.gif

@nick, thanks for explain byebye.gif
lonelyboyiran
well i've just mixed sth, but not really good transitions, you know the songs were not match
'love is all around'
love is all around
i was moving tracks and suddenly i pressed space and acoustica played the mix, and i suddenly decided to save it and post here tongue.gif
love is all around - ding dingi
pantoflica
All 3 sounds cool. My favorite is last one, lonely thumbsup.gif
lonelyboyiran
really? haha.gif
thump_rockstar
@Reed-Sounds great clap.gif clap.gif
@Arsam-There is still some scope for improvement wink.gif
diabolical
Made something... just quick'n'dirty laugh.gif tongue.gif Love ding using Reaper

laugh.gif Just couldn't help myself laugh.gif... I made another one with somewhat more parts than the first one smile.gif Love ding take 2

@reed wow.gif Great work 10.gif
@lonelyboyiran Liked the last one most smile.gif
ronaldo23
Boyiran - My favourite is the last one to thumbsup.gif
Reed - Great mix bro thumbsup.gif
Harri - Awesome mix clap.gif thumbsup.gif
Defil3d
Hi all! byebye.gif Sorry it took me so long to get back, was at work last night, than came home and went to bed laugh.gif Almost time to go to work again surrender.gif

The Software list is updated with 3 more programs!!! clap.gif
1. Audacity
2. Nero Wave Editor
3. FL Studio
4. Wavepad Sound Editor
5. Virtual DJ
6. Sound Forge 9.0
8. Ulead Video Studio
9. Acoustica Mixcraft 4
10. Mixxx
11. Adobe Audition
12. Reaper
13. Gold Wave

@Hamit, you're very welcome Bro. smile.gif

Thank you Reed, Lonely and Harri for participating in the mixing program challenge. I'm still waiting for others whip.gif including you Jas whip.gif tongue.gif

When I come home tomorrow, I will post these mixes together, to keep track, and when the challenge is over, we'll all vote on what we think which software program makes the best mixing solution. Please don't forget to rate and leave comments on everyones mix smile.gif

Until tomorrow, take care everyone. wub.gif
lonelyboyiran
sorry all, forgot to say, i used Acoustica MP3 Audio Mixer smile.gif
and defy, have a good night work.
let me see, what is your job that u have to work at night, busted_cop.gif r u a bank robber? gun_bandana1.gif
well, if u share the money with me ( 60% me and 40% you happy.gif ) i won't tell any one that u r a bank robber locked.gif and maybe sometimes i will help u with my rifle rifle.gif
haha.gif just kidding
Defil3d
QUOTE (lonelyboyiran @ Aug 20 2009, 05:00 PM) *
and defy, have a good night work.
let me see, what is your job that u have to work at night, busted_cop.gif r u a bank robber? gun_bandana1.gif
well, if u share the money with me ( 60% me and 40% you happy.gif ) i won't tell any one that u r a bank robber locked.gif and maybe sometimes i will help u with my rifle rifle.gif
haha.gif just kidding

laugh.gif I'll share the money with you Bro, but only 50/50% tongue.gif

Hmm... only 3 ppl has participated in the Software Program mix contest dry.gif Jas? whip.gif Where's yours?

I'm thinking about adding an addition to Mixing Tips. There will be 2 positions opening up for MT Counselors. After thinking and debating, I will release an application for everyone to fill out and apply, along with description. smile.gif

I'm also thinking about having a "Transition Mix Contest" every week, and I will try to have the winner from each week, have their mix featured somewhere where everyone can see the mix.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for "Mixing Tips", and would love to see it improve, please post them.

Btw... this is what i do when I'm bored...

laugh.gif j/k
reed31
thats good idea bro, 10.gif clap.gif clap.gif
thump_rockstar
@Harri-Superb mixes bro, 2nd one is definitely my pick clap.gif clap.gif

@Curt-TMC sounds a cool idea bro thumbsup.gif
Defil3d
QUOTE (reed31 @ Aug 21 2009, 01:18 PM) *
thats good idea bro, 10.gif clap.gif clap.gif

QUOTE (thump_rockstar @ Aug 21 2009, 01:26 PM) *
@Curt-TMC sounds a cool idea bro thumbsup.gif

Thank you guys wub.gif
christina86
QUOTE (Defil3d @ Aug 21 2009, 12:49 AM) *
The Software list is updated with 3 more programs!!! clap.gif
1. Audacity
2. Nero Wave Editor
3. FL Studio
4. Wavepad Sound Editor
5. Virtual DJ
6. Sound Forge 9.0
8. Ulead Video Studio
9. Acoustica Mixcraft 4
10. Mixxx
11. Adobe Audition
12. Reaper
13. Gold Wave

blink.gif I didn't even know there are so many softwares. wow.gif

QUOTE (Defil3d @ Aug 21 2009, 07:43 PM) *
Hmm... only 3 ppl has participated in the Software Program mix contest dry.gif Jas? whip.gif Where's yours?

I guess that will help too bash.gif bash.gif Comon people, post your mixes. Don't be shy. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Defil3d @ Aug 21 2009, 07:43 PM) *
I'm also thinking about having a "Transition Mix Contest" every week, and I will try to have the winner from each week, have their mix featured somewhere where everyone can see the mix.

That would be great idea. 10.gif
Defil3d
Thankies Christina wub.gif Maybe you can post a mix too whistle.gif tongue.gif
melmex59

I am useing 2 software programs for mixing wink.gif

1.) Acoustica MP3 Audio Mixer
2.) Gold Wave

sorry i don't like Audacity sad.gif
pantoflica
Acoustica Mixcraft mix:

Ring 4 Love
Defil3d
Looking for people to fill these positions.

Position Applying For: DJ Instructor

Postion Overview:

The DJ Instructor shall be helpful, suggestive. informitive, and willing to help. The DJ Instructor shall help those in need one-on-one in a professional manner. When new participates enter Ringtone Challenge, or any other Mixing Challenge, the DJ Instructor shall advise them, and help them with any problems they may face, and to make sure the new participate is aware of the rules.

Application

User Name:

How Long Have You Been On M9?

# of RC Mixes:

# of RC Mixes Won (Gold, Silver and Bronze):

How Often Do You Visit M9?

How Often Do You Visit M9 Forums?

Do You Love To Help People?

Are You Dependable?

Please Add 2 of Your RC Mixes:

**You must be willing to have a logo added to your signature**

***Please copy the Application, fill it out, and post it in this thread. Thank you.***
lonelyboyiran
User name: lonelyboyiran
How long have you been on M9? 1 year and six months and 10 days
# of RC mixes: 5 mixes
# of RC mixes won (GOld, Sliver and Bronze):2 mixes, both gold
How often do you visit M9? i'm always here on M9 (except when i'm sleeping tongue.gif )
How often do you visit M9 forum? every time i check M9
do you love to help people? i enjoy this job
Are you dependable? yes. i asked three of my friends and they said a lot happy.gif
Please add 2 of your RC mixes: groove - RC Week 124 , being lonely - RC Week 126
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.