Here's a quick and easy tutorial for creating elements for your themes. Just follow these simple steps and you're all set.
- Download Deziner's --> Ultimate Web 2.0 Layer Styles <--
For newer versions of Photoshop (CS series) get this one instead -->220 Amazing Free Photoshop Layer Styles <--
*Don't forget to give him thanks by posting a comment if you can.
The file is in a compressed Zip file, so you have to extract it to a folder on your computer using WinZip or any file compression utility.
- Open Photoshop
- Under the Edit menu, select Preset Manager. This opens up the preset manager window.
- For preset type, select Styles from the list.
- Click on Load... and go to the folder where you extracted the file. The file name is "web20layerstylesv1.asl"
- Click on Done
Ok, now that the styles are loaded, the next part is where the fun begins...
- Create a new document, with the settings below.
*240 x 30 is the standard softkey dimensions for SE themes version 4.5 to 4.9.
- Press Ctrl + A on your keyboard to select the entire document. A selection marquee will appear along the boundaries of your document.
- With the layer selected, press Ctrl + Delete keys to fill the layer with the current background color, or Alt + Delete keys to fill it with the foreground color.
- Press Ctrl + D to remove the marquee.
- Make sure the Styles Dock is active, if not, go to the Window menu and check Styles.
- Now you're all set. Select the layer and click on any of the style thumbnails from the Styles dock.
- ...aand there it is! your softkeys are done.
Feel free to play around with the softkeys you've created, double click the layer to open the Layer Styles window. Here you can add drop shadows, bevels, etc... to your existing style or make your own from scratch. Stay tuned for the Intermediate and Advanced versions of this tutorial.
For discussions/feedback regarding this or any of my tutorials, post them on Wolfpack HQ <--