Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Member Opinion
mobile9 Forum > Competition Arena > Wallpaper Competition
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
boxieblue
this is the thread where i will ask u guys for your opinion on stuff regarding. please do not spam this topic, as it will not be tolerated.
but i would love to hear your opinion on things important to WPC....

my first question is.....
we have a LOT of entries this time. and voting for just 3 seems to less, and too difficult smile.gif
so i was suggesting you could vote for more. for example, this week you vote for 6 entries.
1. 8 pts
2. 6 pts
3. 4 pts
4. 3 pts
5. 2 pts
6. 1 pts

or you could suggest a different format of your own...let me know what u think

ahodarkar
in rc we give
1st 6pts
2nd 5pts
3rd 4pts
4th 3pts
5th 2pts
everybody else 1pt

this way...nobody ends up wid 0 points...t newcomers dont get disheartened...as they would wen they see a 0 in front of their name
i remember how distraught i was wen i participated in tmc for fun
3 tries later i still dint get 1 lousy point
never participated again

besides if u observe keenly...the 1 pt that everybody else get changes t dynamics of t vote
Gault
i agree with ahodarkar. still we should make the number of votes : 5

1 : 6 points
2 : 5 points
3 : 4 points
4 : 3 points
5 : 2 points

and all the rest 1 point. exactly what ahodarkar said.
pantoflica
I have changed a litle bit rules in RC, when it become so popular. Voting depends on number of participants.

If we have less then 7, we vote for 3 of them.
If we have 7-10, we vote for 5
If we have more then 10 - we vote for 7 of them.

By that system Ameya mention. (all others gets 1 point each)
davis-art
Why not? I agree with Jasmina thumbsup.gif
boxieblue
hmmmm....four opinions so far and each of them wants to give the non-voted guys 1 point each.....looks like i will have to go along with that laugh.gif
so this week you guys are going to vote for 5 or 7 people....will let you know in the voting thread itself wink.gif
boxieblue
ok...the issue of voting has been resolved for the time being, though i still welcome member comments on the issue smile.gif

but now, for my next question......

how would u guys like a non-stop WPC, where every week u will get TWO DAYS more then you are currently getting?!?!
the plan is thus:
every week, on Monday (GMT 00:01) i start the new thread for the week. BUT! the voting thread for the previous week also begins at the SAME TIME! the voting thread lasts till wednesday night. and the guy who wins will have his theme implemented next week.

and as for the normal thread, it will continue till Sunday night. so this way, you have a continous flow of WPC topics, and you won't have to WAIT for two days like u currently have to, since the "only-voting" days of Monday and Tuesday will be eliminated smile.gif so in all, you have SEVEN days to make something! but an important reason i am saying this is because it gives me more time to invite newbies over wink.gif
ahodarkar
innovative but a trifle confusing
boxieblue
confusing? oh no! u just get a new topic every monday...simple as that

and u can vote any time from monday to wednesday wink.gif
ahodarkar
people will have to wait one whole week to know f theyve won
boxieblue
not really! like i said the result will STILL come out the same day as before....so u will still find out on tuesday/wednesday like u did before. the only thing is that YOUR theme will be implemented one week late smile.gif
shalu2173
QUOTE (pantoflica @ Feb 1 2009, 01:11 AM) *
I have changed a litle bit rules in RC, when it become so popular. Voting depends on number of participants.

If we have less then 7, we vote for 3 of them.
If we have 7-10, we vote for 5
If we have more then 10 - we vote for 7 of them.

By that system Ameya mention. (all others gets 1 point each)

Completely Agree with @pantoflica..
I m first time in competition n if not even 1 point weightlift.gif

Sounds very disheartening!!

so lets follow what Rc manager has suggested 10.gif ..The fun will never end with newbies also n participation n not just winning will be important!! clap.gif

smile.gif
boxieblue
smile.gif okay okay guys! everyone get's atleast 1 point from each voter laugh.gif but Shalu, what are ur opinions on my second question above?
Gault
well i dont agree with it. 3 days for voting. OMG you've got to be kidding me. 72 hours.

i think 24 hours was enough.
boxieblue
ok fine. 48 hours for voting....but the more important issue here is the continous WPC weeks....no one is talking about it laugh.gif
Gault
alright i agree with continuous WPC but still only 48 hours for voting.
boxieblue
ok.... smile.gif
davis-art
I agree with continuous WPC, but I don't see any reasons for so long voting. 24 hours is more than enough for that...
shalu2173
QUOTE (boxieblue @ Feb 1 2009, 04:33 PM) *
smile.gif okay okay guys! everyone get's atleast 1 point from each voter laugh.gif but Shalu, what are ur opinions on my second question above?

Hmmm sounds confusing but we can give it a try if the change is flexible enough to change again if we get into a loop n surrender.gif confused..

U gota be more smart with ur efforts then Boxie..Will have to explain again n again what has to be done next! gathering.gif

unless n until we start with it ..it will remain confusing..so i feel I will Agree with u BOXIE!! clap.gif

boxieblue
ok....looks like i have got some supposrt on this

@Davis: well...i want to give members enough spcae. 24 hours would be too less. what if one member has to go out somewhere? after all, everyone here has a life outside of M9 laugh.gif i wouldn't want to disqualify any member for not getting time to vote wink.gif

the "loop", as Shalu calls it, will start from next week.......this time it will be a pure-vote 40-hour period
dLazaros
Back in the stone age when i was running the tmc there was a simple system. The winner chose the theme for next week after. That meant that when i opened the voting thread i opened the new topic aswell. Simple.
Gault
@Davis: well...i want to give members enough spcae. 24 hours would be too less. what if one member has to go out somewhere? after all, everyone here has a life outside of M9 laugh.gif i wouldn't want to disqualify any member for not getting time to vote wink.gif

this is just why i agreed with 48 hours for voting.
davis-art
QUOTE (Gault @ Feb 1 2009, 10:58 PM) *

this is just why i agreed with 48 hours for voting.

Well, maybe you're right. Once I lost my gold in WPC 14 because my internet connection was broken, and I didn't vote. Connection was restored in 8 hours after voting booth was closed... Ok, I agree with 48 hours thumbsup.gif
boxieblue
@DL: laugh.gif sounds too simple laugh.gif well...let's give this system a shot wink.gif
DJ_Dubb
On the topic of 'POINTS': I agree with the introduction of the RC style point scoring method. It seems to work really well in that particular competition and I see no reason why it couldn't work the same here. It would also be GR8 to see more regular competitors each week, I know that I personally will be a regular competitor in the RC and WPC.

On the topic of of 'VOTING': What everyone needs to take into consideration here, is the fact that a lot of our votes come from general members, not competitors as such. I personally feel that this entire competition could be run in the same manner as the RC. Yeah 3 days is a long time to wait for results, but I'd prefer to get as many votes in, as I can. So I say make it 3 days VOTING period.

The only thing that I'm not too sure about is the'Continuous Weeks'. Not too sure if it would achieve much!! As I've said, it would be much better if this competition could be run in a similar manner to the RC. So I'll just leave you with that thought.

@ boxie..... you did a brilliant job in running this competition this week and I'd like to thankyou for making it possible for all of us to join. GR8 job bro.
boxieblue
@DJ: first of all, thanks for your opinions..... smile.gif
secondly, thanks for the compliment wink.gif notworthy.gif

it's been said before that all competitions are different and we can't, and shouldn't, compare one to another. nor should one competition try to entirely copy the format of another. of course, it is nice to observe the other competitions and try to take the good points from them, like the hidden voting wink.gif
about the "continous weeks" it is so that members get the maximum possible of 7 days, and you dont have to wait for two days....that way you wont ever run out of time to make something smile.gif and it also makes it easier for me to scout for newbies, which i can't otherwise do in the two days voting period :D

thanks again for the suggestions smile.gif
ahodarkar
im still a lil puzzled bout t continuous thing.....well i guess an IQ of 149 wasnt adequate for me to grasp the concept laugh.gif ...i can see a spot of bother in t coming week...lets see....high probability that im wrong...
boxieblue
well, Ahodarkar, i can assure u that once it gets going it is going to be VERY simple wink.gif
Gault
Well we can see if this way it goes better. but if anyone has trouble. understanding it. we can change the method.
ArthurWill
QUOTE (dLazaros @ Feb 2 2009, 01:56 AM) *
Back in the stone age when i was running the tmc there was a simple system. The winner chose the theme for next week after. That meant that when i opened the voting thread i opened the new topic aswell. Simple.

Which one is you and which one is Mr. Elton? laugh.gif Btw, I'm still using your TMC running procedure dated May 23 2005. Good stuff! thumbsup.gif I would be lost without it.

QUOTE (ahodarkar @ Feb 1 2009, 02:20 AM) *
in rc we give
1st 6pts
2nd 5pts
3rd 4pts
4th 3pts
5th 2pts
everybody else 1pt

this way...nobody ends up wid 0 points...t newcomers dont get disheartened...as they would wen they see a 0 in front of their name
i remember how distraught i was wen i participated in tmc for fun
3 tries later i still dint get 1 lousy point
never participated again

besides if u observe keenly...the 1 pt that everybody else get changes t dynamics of t vote

Ah ha! Some food for thought. We do have lots of zeros in TMC.

QUOTE (boxieblue @ Feb 1 2009, 03:53 PM) *
the only thing is that YOUR theme will be implemented one week late smile.gif

I don't see any problem in having the winner's topic one week late. But you might want to consider letting them know when their topic is up & running (via PM / profile shoutbox) as some people always participate in their own topic & will help participants who might have some questions about the topic etc.
boxieblue
yea...will do smile.gif
Gault
@ Boxie : good job putting up that F.A.Q thread...

that will surely help once i use its link as my siggy...
boxieblue
yea...i had a lot of members asking me basic questions such as those and i wasted a lot of time typing out the same answer multiple times laugh.gif
now i just have to copy-paste that link everywhere
AashirAzeem
GREAT job ......

BOX

ie.....

means

boxie....
AXR
Faqs
What/where is final thread?
What is voting thread?
What is layered file?
How to show layered file?
How do I post images?
How do I upload a PSP wallpaper to the gallery?

lithomateo
just a suggestion regarding on the FINAL THREAD..can we add RATIONALS to our final entry?...i mean, it's not only images or compositions that will be posted on the final thread but an explanation or a short story behind the final entries...paintings has this...so y not in our wally's as well!

thumbsup.gif
boxieblue
sure. there is no rule saying you cannot. smile.gif
but it will remain in the final entry thread only, not in the voting booth....at least not at the moment

i will have to see what the other members say smile.gif
boxieblue
QUOTE (AXR @ Mar 2 2009, 01:37 AM) *
Faqs
What is voting thread?
What is layered file?
How do I post images?

clapping.gif thanks a lot AXR! i will answer most of these smile.gif

byebye.gif

EDIT: done thumbsup.gif
brave-heart
QUOTE (boxieblue @ Mar 2 2009, 01:04 AM) *
QUOTE (AXR @ Mar 2 2009, 01:37 AM) *
Faqs
What is voting thread?
What is layered file?
How do I post images?

clapping.gif thanks a lot AXR! i will answer most of these smile.gif

byebye.gif

EDIT: done thumbsup.gif

guyes i have a same questine.
please ...
DeZal
@ Brave-Heart - Boxie has posted the answers here.
boxieblue
@Brave-Heart: welcome to WPC notworthy.gif great to have you here

the FAQs are located here:
http://www.mobile9.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=62291
suola
Hi, I've a problem. I wanna start in competition, but I don't know how. Can you tell me something about it? ( I wanna have more "stars" too )
Please, help me.
rhtz
@ suola :: HERE is your answer
Mevicky
I'm glad that each newbies gets 1point 2 each when participanting, as they wont get dishearted.M also 1 of them.So, thanx 4 thinkin of every1..thumbsup.gif
Piratekid
I think Lith's Suggestion is gr8!! wow.gif
but at the same time.. it wont b easy for me.. coz half of my work just happens.. so i cant explain how it went exactly!! tongue.gif

Btw.. nice thread! tongue.gif
boxieblue
now you come and comment on how nice this thread is?? tongue.gif
well, thanks laugh.gif
Piratekid
Haha!!.. thumbsup.gif
Better Late than Never!! tongue.gif
your_mother
I got another question: I would really like to see the original images before I have to vote. Wouldn't it be possible to make it kind of a rule to post the originals before voting starts? Doesn't have to be every detail, but the main stuff. It would be helpful to decide wich one should be the winner. 'Cause if you use a great image and just put some kind of writing over it it may look great, but I don't think it deserves to win, 'cause it's kinda cheap...
Of course that rule wouldn't apply if the image's made from scratch!

What do you think? unsure.gif

Other than that I think the wallpaper competition's great fun and Boxie, you're really doing a great job!
AXR
QUOTE (your_mother @ Apr 24 2009, 03:29 PM) *
I got another question: I would really like to see the original images before I have to vote. Wouldn't it be possible to make it kind of a rule to post the originals before voting starts? Doesn't have to be every detail, but the main stuff. It would be helpful to decide wich one should be the winner. 'Cause if you use a great image and just put some kind of writing over it it may look great, but I don't think it deserves to win, 'cause it's kinda cheap...

Other than that I think the wallpaper competition's great fun and Boxie, you're really doing a great job!

+1
I think it is a good idea, it would be easier to vote and to get fair results.
boxieblue
QUOTE (your_mother @ Apr 25 2009, 02:59 AM) *

QUOTE (AXR @ Apr 25 2009, 02:16 PM) *
+1
I think it is a good idea, it would be easier to vote and to get fair results.

as this actually does sound like a very good idea. let's take the opinion of all members and if the feedback is positive, we can implement this from Week 101 itself
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.