Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mobile9 Surfer Beta
mobile9 Forum > Beyond Mobile > Lounge
Pages: 1, 2, 3
AzureSephiroth
Would you guys like a program that manipulates internet browsing to do functions you normally have to scroll through 2-3 pages to get there?

A program that provides hot links to every single function in the forum, and acts as functional browser.

You will be able to upload a file, change your avatar, check your inbox, and anything else with a single click of your mouse.

Would you like program that does this?
rubg

Sounds nice, but it will hard to convince me to leave FireFox
adonisdemon
@Azure Browser for PC or mobile? If it's for Mobile, it's a great idea!
AzureSephiroth
QUOTE(rub69 @ Jan 6 2008, 12:22 AM)
Sounds nice, but it will hard to convince me to leave FireFox
[right][snapback]460910[/snapback][/right]

The program should not be considered as a substitute for primary browsers like IE and Firefox, but as an independent software with browsing capabilities that are entirely focused on speeding up your browsing time on mobile9.
AzureSephiroth
QUOTE(adonisdemon @ Jan 6 2008, 12:25 AM)
[right][snapback]460912[/snapback][/right]

Sorry I wasn't clear on this point, it will be for Windows users thumbsup.gif
castleboyz
No Need wink.gif

Normal Browsers are quite enough!
boxieblue
hmmm...i don't know. if i have to download some huge program for it, then i would rather stick with firefox....
AzureSephiroth
QUOTE(boxieblue @ Jan 6 2008, 12:25 PM)
hmmm...i don't know. if i have to download some huge program for it, then i would rather stick with firefox....
[right][snapback]461039[/snapback][/right]

The size would range from 1mb-4mb, is that considered big nowadays?
castleboyz
So you are the software designer.

Sizerange is not important one bro.
writ4
May be this works http://www.sp-s.com/webcloner_9140-1.html (
AzureSephiroth
@Castleboyz - since you have figured it out, I'm working on this project codenamed surfer. I have experience with programming so recently I had trouble getting to certain pages on mobile9. Whenever I had to upload something I would have to go back to my bookmarks and select the page for uploads but then one time I said to myself, why can't I make this easier?

And this is the result:
user posted image

Surfer, my personal light weight browser specifically built for browsing mobile9. I'm currently using this as I'm typing this post.

I'm merely offering this if anyones interested.
vinnieza
This sound interesting. What language are you thinking of using to write it?

QUOTE(adonisdemon @ Jan 5 2008, 09:25 PM)

I agree wow.gif
AzureSephiroth
QUOTE(vinnieza @ Jan 6 2008, 02:53 PM)
This sound interesting. What language are you thinking of using to write it?

QUOTE(adonisdemon @ Jan 5 2008, 09:25 PM)

I agree wow.gif
[right][snapback]461086[/snapback][/right]

Visual Basic, easiest way of getting the job done. I've got the browser up and running, only need to add some major functions and iron out the link structure.
srk_ankit
so wud ur browser help in switchin between forums n the uploadin are, home site , etc ??
wat about the forum skins , i dunt think dey wud change , wud day ??
AzureSephiroth
QUOTE(srk_ankit @ Jan 6 2008, 03:47 PM)
so wud ur browser help in switchin between forums n the uploadin are, home site , etc ??
wat about the forum skins , i dunt think dey wud change , wud day ??
[right][snapback]461118[/snapback][/right]

Yes, the main concept behind it is easing up navigation between the forum functions, mainly:

1. Message Inbox, Friends List and Community Interactivity:all will be accessible through a single click of your mouse.

2. Forum Topics arranged in menu, so lets say if you would want to head to the announcement board, you will hover over the menu and it will be shown. You can easily switch boards without having to go through the forum index.

3. Forum settings like signature, avatar and blog will accessible through another menu, making them easier to change instead of having to go through your user control to get to them.

4. File uploading, you will be directed to the uploads page within the browser should you choose to do so.

5. Forum Stats like homesite, CP stat and uploads will all be organized into a menu from which you can also update your CP automatically.

The only specific draw back I have not been able to find a solution to is to actually get you to login to mobile9 from a form in the browser. That would require parsing strings and sending them over to the server for verification. I did not incorporate this into the browser for security reasons so I limited the browser's account to view your homesite only. You'll just have to login through the site for the browser to function properly, all this from within the browser without the need to exit or switch to IE or Firefox.

Edit: I do have to warn that the engine behind the browser uses IE's internet control OCX, meaning that you'll be essentially using IE with a different skin (program)
boxieblue
nice idea. tell me when you have designed it smile.gif
rubg

Is it going to write to W3C rules ?
by the way, why only for windows user ?
AzureSephiroth
@Boxie - This is the actual browser I'm talking about, at this stage its navigational functions have been completed along with a small portion of the forum links:
user posted image

QUOTE(rub69 @ Jan 6 2008, 05:07 PM)
Is it going to write to W3C rules ?
by the way, why only for windows user ?
[right][snapback]461153[/snapback][/right]

What are you trying to say?

VB does not support mac and Linux operating systems smile.gif

vinnieza
@rub, i think that's what azure meant by it'll use IE as an engine. So therefore it'll be display the same way IE does?

Presuming you are meaning how will it display the pages, will it follow the correct standards?
ahodarkar
good going azure

is ther a way to access ppls homesites????
u know 4 d ones whose links are not given in their sigs...kinda like u tongue.gif......its hard to find their homesites.......
srk_ankit
@azure..... i really liked ur effort , i appreciate it , i m sure it wud b very helpful to windws users like me smile.gif
hats off to u !!
shoutout
QUOTE(ahodarkar @ Jan 6 2008, 06:18 PM)
good going azure

u know 4 d ones whose links are not given in their sigs...kinda like u tongue.gif......its hard to find their homesites.......
[right][snapback]461277[/snapback][/right]

easy way to do it is to change the name in the homesite link like so

CODE
http://homesite.mobile9.com/name here/
AzureSephiroth
QUOTE(vinnieza @ Jan 6 2008, 09:24 PM)
@rub, i think that's what azure meant by it'll use IE as an engine. So therefore it'll be display the same way IE does?

Presuming you are meaning how will it display the pages, will it follow the correct standards?
[right][snapback]461263[/snapback][/right]

Yes, you will see the pages as if you were using IE. It will follow the standards set forth by other browsers if thats what your asking.

good going azure

u know 4 d ones whose links are not given in their sigs...kinda like u ......its hard to find their homesites.......

Yes, the browser will be equipped with a 'friends list' where you can add a member's username and check their profiles, send them PMs and open their homesites instantly from the list. It'll be a matter of choosing what you want to do:

user posted image
This picture shows the friends list in a very early stage, only the hide button (for debugging purposes) is available at the moment. You will be simply asked to input the username if the member you would like to add and it will be saved into the list. Think of it as your contact list in your phone.
AzureSephiroth
I would like to hear what other features members would like to see incorporated.
Ng_LC
No,cause some member I think will have 3 browser install in their PC (opera,firefox,IE),I think that would be enough...
AzureSephiroth
Then again, this program should not be treated as a complete browser. I'll term it the portal of mobile9.
vinnieza
portal of a portal smile.gif

So contacts:

*Send Friends PMs
*See Friend's homesites
*See friends Profile

See friends posts?
See friends uploads

Like m9 subscriptions, highlight if homesite has changed? Not sure if that can be done how m9 currently runs

How about book mark for favourite threads and forums?

If you know member id you can also use:

CODE
http://homesite.mobile9.com/index.php?act=detail&member_id=850

to access homesite. thumbsup.gif
RazBGD
nice job Azure thumbsup.gif don`t get me wrong,but there`s already something similar in the ff bookmarks toolbar folder..and I don`t like IE tongue.gif smile.gif
AzureSephiroth
QUOTE(vinnieza @ Jan 7 2008, 02:43 PM)
portal of a portal smile.gif

So contacts:

*Send Friends PMs
*See Friend's homesites
*See friends Profile

See friends posts?
See friends uploads

Like m9 subscriptions, highlight if homesite has changed? Not sure if that can be done how m9 currently runs

How about book mark for favourite threads and forums?

If you know member id you can also use:

CODE
http://homesite.mobile9.com/index.php?act=detail&member_id=850

to access homesite. thumbsup.gif
[right][snapback]461506[/snapback][/right]

Exactly, member's ID is essential to other pages as well, like the community blog which uses your ID to redirect you to your blog. But vinnie, I'm glad you're seeing what I'm trying to do thumbsup.gif

@Raz - is that right? well then, IE users will get another option to choose from smile.gif
RazBGD
good for them Azure notworthy.gif can you make IE faster? smile.gif
boxieblue
@azure-nice work so far

@raz-you are right! i never realised that before! thanks pal!
RazBGD
boxie wink.gif
AzureSephiroth
Progress Report

Implemented the friend's list, with internal file database as storage system. Completed all functions related to friends list including, View Homesite, Private Message. Thats all we need right?

Edit
: Browser is now fully functional. Ready for testing. anyone up for it?
ahodarkar
shoot doc
AzureSephiroth
Heres my proof that this is a light weight class software,

Estimated final download size: 69 KBs - 150 KBs
xXDarkieXx
I would like to tell you guys that i have just downloaded the file and i think it would make things more easier on m9 its a small file to download and well organized its also good to know that there will be changes to make it better,i find it useful because i have a hard time goin through the forums to get to a specifil thread,but with the program,things have become more easier. i would just like to add that i think the program is an amazing thing to add smile.gif
AzureSephiroth
Progress Report
Build: BETA (0.0.1)

* Switched to new GUI interface, having to start writing the source code all over again.

* Auto-Login feature limited to Surfer's internal browser. This may change in the future on members request.

* Implemented online help, with feedback and error reporting functions.

* Added the functions View Status and View Blog to the Friends List.

*Changed Surfer's start up dimensions and on maximize dimensions to better view the site.

*Added all Quick links covering every subforum in the forum.

*Added Status bar to better visualize what is happening within the browser window.

*Removed Surfer Icon in system tray for the annoying bug that loops. I will fix it before releasing Surfer.

*Added Forum options, Messenger options and profile options to forums menu.

Sorry about the long list, the project has come to the size of 75kb in zipped form. Thanks to Ahodarkar, when Surfer is run on any computer that does not have the VB Library components installed, the program won't run. To fix this, users would need to download the OCX related to the project and then register them in the command prompt. That is a long way and is too complicated. I will compile the project into an installer but it will jump from 100kb to roughly 3mb. The installer should install all the components needed.

Thanks to xXDarkieXx and Ahodarkar for testing. Anyone interested can PM me.

I still need to fix some things and then compile the project. Hopefully if all goes well, you'll be able to use Surfer this week! clap.gif
srk_ankit
hey azure , ur software is amazin , i hope it wurks out well widout ne bugs !!
AzureSephiroth
Surfer BETA Build

Just like I promised you all, I present to you the surfer BETA build in its new GUI;
user posted image

Features

* Browse the site twice as fast with the internal links to every single subforum.

* Messenger, Profile and Account functions are all under your disposable with a single click of your mouse.

* Add your friends to friends list to instantly send them PM's, View their Homesites, View their status and blog.

* Add your favorite topics to your list for even quicker navigation to your favorites.
* Simple Navigational buttons help put more focus on the site's contents.

* Only 129 Kbs for the stand alone package!!

Bugs

* The Internet Explorer JavaScript errors pop up every now and then since the browser uses the Internet Browser OCX as its core engine. (will switch to Mozilla Gecko engine in future updates)

* Popups are permitted due to error in OCX. (will be fixed)

* Partially compatible with Windows Vista. (Works but some buttons overlap)

To Come in version 1.0

* Shout Members on their homesites from the browser.

* Link system for all of the Galleries categories.

* Notify when you have new messages and shouts.

* Find Members topics and recent posts.

* Inclusion of the mobile9 forum search engine.

* Search all 7 major graphics site (eg. deviantart, google, yahoo...)

The program comes in two packages, select the stand alone package if you have the VB automation files. If you are unsure then you'll have to download the complete compiled package with the installer:

Standalone Package (129 Kb)
Contains the application and storage files.

2. Complete Installer Package (2.66 Mb)
Contains all the files needed for the application and an installer.
Edit: Due to an unknown error, the installer will not install the Data folder in the application's root folder. You will have to manually add the folder by downloading the Data Folder ZIP and extract it to the root folder where the EXE is. Sorry, I will try to fix this asap. If you do not do this, you will end up running a loop which will eat up your system resources real quick when you run the executable from the start menu.

So if you installed surfer in:
C:/Program Files/project1/
then you should place the DATA folder along with the REG text file there. It should be like this:
C:/Program Files/project1/DATA/

Again my apologies, hope this doesn't turn members from downloading surfer.

3. Required Data Folder for Installer Only (1 Kb)

Please use the feedback, error links in the help menu if you want something added or want to report an error.

Hope everything goes well, enjoy! clap.gif
devilmaycry_ub
Buddy i have downloaded and i`ll give comments soon smile.gif...
AzureSephiroth
QUOTE(devilmaycry_ub @ Jan 11 2008, 07:45 AM)
Buddy i have downloaded and i`ll give comments soon smile.gif...
[right][snapback]462756[/snapback][/right]

Looking forward to hearing them thumbsup.gif
dragon2590
bro this mess comes up when i run the program :
component 'TABCTL32.OCX' or one of its decencies not correctly registered : a file is missing or invalid
boxieblue
can i use this with firefox?
AzureSephiroth
@Dragon - Will add the files missing. Thanks for sharing.

@BoxieBlue - Yes you can use this alongside FireFox.
boxieblue
will check out later pal smile.gif
AzureSephiroth
Finally fixed the issue, added the missing dependency file. You still need to manually add the other files though. Click on the link below to download the installer:

Surfer BETA Installer

And then download the SurferData zip file,

3. Required Data Folder for Installer Only (1 Kb)

Then extract the Reg.txt and DATA folder from the surferdata zip file into the same directory as shown below after you have installed it again:

user posted image

Hope this works, really want to deliver this to you guys.

Edit: Confirmed working!
AzureSephiroth
Surfer BETA
Build: 0.9 Final (Stable Build)

user posted image

* Auto generate folders and storage files. (No more manual labor guys)

* Improved data loading time. (0.7ms @ P4 Centrino 1.73 Ghz)

Installation

Run the installer and enjoy, I mean it this time smile.gif

Download: Stable Build

If you like the program, want to make a suggestion, report an error or sue me, please use the help menu comment boards. You might as well thank me if you haven't laugh.gif

user posted image

Thank you all for your patience and cooperation. Happy surfing!

srk_ankit
thnx alot, azure , i m now downloadin the stable build smile.gif
AzureSephiroth
@srk_ankit - thanks. Hope everything works wink.gif
ssivic
Nice Azure...I will give it a try...thumbsup.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.