Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [tod] Monday
mobile9 Forum > Downloads > Ringtones > Masters of Sound > Tune Of the Day
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
VanjaT630
Welcome to TOD [Tone of the Day] Monday.
--
Rock'd by VANJAT630
--
Where we Rock & Roll all night long...
--
If you believe in forever, then life is just a one night stand. If there's a rock and roll heaven, well, you know they got a hell of a band. user posted image
--

Rock'd by VANJAT630 is hosted by none other by VANJAT630. He likes Star Wars and Lord of the Rings (yes, he does), Rock, pop and dance music, Symbian SE Phones, Modern Technology and Gadgets, Cars... Lately he's gone into the web programming world, and apparently doesn't want to come out of there. His birthplace and homeplace is Varazdin, in Croatia. [GMT +1]. Current phone is a SE P1i, wouldn't change it for the world!

QUOTE(christina86 @ Oct 25 2008, 11:04 AM)
No comments to my TOD thread as!!!! I prefer to have all the comments at my tune!

Thank you! 

[right][snapback]526072[/snapback][/right]
VanjaT630
October 8th, 2007 - Tone Of The Day on Monday...

Here's my pick for the day:

AUTOGRAPH - Turn Up The Radio

Download ringtone:
--> Intro
--> Chorus
--> Solo

user posted image

# Audio CD (October 25, 1990)
# Original Release Date: 1984
# Number of Discs: 1
# Label: RCA
# ASIN: B000002W8F
# Also Available on: Audio Cassette

Sign In Please (1984.) Autograph's debut album.

In the late sixties, hard rock/heavy metal was virtually nonexistant. Bands were afraid of trying new things, so they just stuck to the stylings of the days. But then came the seventies, and bands like Judas Priest, AC/DC and Black Sabbath made the genres popular, and they began to enter the mainstream. By the time the eighties had rolled around, these so-called "hair rock" bands were around every corner, trying to make it big. To put it simply, a few of these bands made it - and were immortalized as rock icons. Unfortunately, a very large percentage of them were, for the most part, unsuccessful - despite the fact that their music was actually better than that of most of the popular bands. One of the best examples of this phenomenon was a band called Autograph. These guys weren't exactly a revolutionary band, but their music was still excellent. By fusing the sounds of a number of rock bands and incorporating keyboards into the mix, this band shelled out a number of great tracks. Their debut album, Sign In Please, was released in 1984.

Turn up the Radio - Autograph has gained a one-hit wonder status despite the fact that all three of their albums have gone platinum at least once. This is the song that gave them that status. The band had other songs that were equally good and better than this one, but I'm not complaining - this song ROCKS. It's straight-up eighties rock the way it was meant to be played, and it's worthy of being their biggest hit.
technokid1974
i like your Intro ringtone notworthy.gif clap.gif 10.gif
ssivic
Very nice...thumbsup.gif
shoutout
great stuff Vanja
antonis1978
well done vanja clapping.gif clapping.gif
VanjaT630
Thanks guys, I've already got a sweet one for the next week prepared... thumbsup.gif
VanjaT630
rockon.gif .... Wooo, this topic already has more that 100 views... Geez, guess I really rocked this place good... haha.gif ... wink.gif
antonis1978
wow.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif thumbsup.gif
devilmaycry_ub
Excellent work ... but i had to read a lot tongue.gif and i hate reading

a ver very long introduction sad.gif

just kidding it was really good....
chrisa21
nice song vanja 10.gif10.gif clap.gif
VanjaT630
@ dmc - The links to the ringtones came first... the text is optional, for those who would like to know more... wink.gif

@ chrisa - Tnx... notworthy.gif
VanjaT630
October 15th, 2007 - Tone Of The Day on Monday...

THE WHO - Won't Get Fooled Again

Download ringtone:
--> Intro
--> Intro 2
--> Chorus
--> Solo

user posted image

# Single by The Who from the album Who's Next
# B-side - "I Don't Even Know Myself"
# Released - 25 June 1971
# Format - 7" Vinyl record
# Recorded- Berkshire and Olympic Studios, London, April and May 1971
# Genre - Hard Rock
# Length - 8:32 (full-length version), 3:38 (single edit)
# Label Polydor Records (UK), MCA Records (USA)
# Writer - Pete Townshend
# Producer - The Who, Glyn Johns (associate producer)

History

The song originally appeared on the 1971 album Who's Next and has since appeared on various other recordings, including the live compilation soundtrack for The Kids Are Alright, the 1979 documentary film about the band. It is famous for its angular organ part set against guitar power chords, leading up to an extended synthesizer break into a drum entrance followed by a long scream. Townshend is playing block chords spread between the two keyboards of the 1968 Lowrey Berkshire Deluxe TBO-1 organ. The output of the organ is fed into the audio input of the EMS VCS 3 mk1 synth. The first bit of processing to be applied to the organ sound is a low-frequency oscillator (LFO) controlling the frequency of a voltage-controlled filter (VCF), using a sine or triangle wave shape. In other words, the synth is turning the tone of the organ from mellow to bright, up and down automatically. There are pictures of Townshend playing this instrument.

The song is quite long, ranging from eight to nine minutes depending on the version (The original album version being about 8:32). A heavily shortened and edited single (3:38) was also released for use on broadcast radio and appeared on some hit collections such as Who's Better, Who's Best.

Pete Townshend wrote this as part of his Lifehouse Project. He wanted to release a double-album and film about a world where the people are oppressed, but saved by a rock concert. Part of Townshend's wish was to show the power of music and how it reflects the people. "Won't Get Fooled Again" is about a revolution. In the first verse, there is an uprising. In the middle, they overthrow those in power, but in the end, the new regime becomes just like the old one ("Meet the new boss, same as the old boss").

This was the last song that Keith Moon performed with The Who on 25 May 1978 in Shepperton Studios. The song was performed both at Live Aid and 20 years later at Live 8. Townshend also collaborated on a celebrated, live, acoustic duet version of the song with leading classical guitarist John Williams for the 1979 Amnesty International benefit The Secret Policeman's Ball (1979). The Who's Next deluxe edition (released in 2003) contains an early session tape of this song with a different structure featuring Mountain's Leslie West on lead guitar. Numerous live versions of this song have appeared on albums. In addition to The Kids Are Alright soundtrack, the most notable ones are on the Who's Next deluxe edition from the 1971 Young Vic show and on the Live At The Royal Albert Hall album (from a 2000 show with Noel Gallagher guesting). The band's performance of the song at 2001's The Concert for New York City was considered the highlight of that show.

Roger Daltrey's climactic scream is often cited as one of the greatest moments in rock history. The song was covered by Van Halen on their live album Live: Right Here, Right Now in 1993. It eventually made it to #1 on the Rock Charts.

Extramusical history

The song was banned in South Korea until the emergence of democracy there in the early 1990s; copies of Who's Next sold there omitted it.

In an April 2006, editorial for Time magazine, retired Lieutenant General Greg Newbold referenced the song, calling it an "antiwar anthem" that "conveyed a sense of betrayal by the nation's leaders, who had led our country into a costly and unnecessary war in Vietnam."

In a May 2005, article for the National Review, political reporter John J. Miller chose the song as #1 on his list of "the greatest conservative rock songs," saying, "The conservative movement is full of disillusioned revolutionaries; this could be their theme song."

Media usage

"Won't Get Fooled Again" was featured in a commercial for the 2000 Nissan Maxima, and, later that same year, used on The Simpsons in episode BABF20 ("A Tale of Two Springfields"), in which The Who guest starred. It later became the theme song for the CBS television series CSI: Miami. It was also used as background music throughout the documentary Supersize Me by Morgan Spurlock.

This song is also used twice in the film Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny.

The beginning of the song, featuring the synthesiser solo, is often played prior to the 1st inning at Yankee Stadium, the home of the New York Yankees baseball team. It is also traditionally played at Alumni Stadium shortly before the Boston College Eagles football team takes the field. J.T. Snow used this song as his introduction music when he played for the San Francisco Giants. The Arizona Diamondbacks use the closing riff of the song when a home run is hit in Chase Field. The song was also used in commercials for the BBC's coverage of the 2006 FIFA World Cup. The song was used as intro music for the AFC Champions, the Indianapolis Colts, for Super Bowl XLI.The ending riff is used at Rutgers Stadium when the Rutgers Scarlet Knights football team scores.

Michael Moore requested to use the song over the end credits of his 2004 documentary Fahrenheit 9/11, as it tied in with both Moore's sentiments over George W. Bush's impending re-election, and the movie's last line, delivered by Bush — "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." However, permission was refused, and Neil Young's "Rockin' in the Free World" was ultimately used instead. Townshend later said that Moore "bullied" him about his refusal, and defended his decision by saying that he was "not convinced" by Moore's previous film, Bowling for Columbine. Philadelphia-based DJ Pierre Robert of WMMR regularly plays the song with the Bush clip preceding it on his radio show.

An excerpt of the song was used in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind when Chuck Barris (Sam Rockwell) and Jim Byrd (George Clooney) discussed over the music how there was a mole in their operation.

This song was used during the intro to Zero Skateboard's "Dying to Live" video.

The synthesiser part was used in the movie Blackball

This song was also used in an introductory video to CBC's Hockey Night In Canada in a NHL playoff game involving the Vancouver Canucks.

The song will also be featured as a master track in the upcoming video game, Rock Band.

The German guitar player Axel Rudi Pell covers this song on his 2007 Diamonds Unlocked album.
chrisa21
rockon.gif rockon.gif rockon.gif
nice vanja!
VanjaT630
Thanks, I almost thought it would go unnoticed... wink.gif ... thumbsup.gif
antonis1978
Nice Vanja clapping.gif 10.gif
And nice long post blink.gif haha.gif
VanjaT630
Do I have a treat for you today... tongue.gif ... A legendary Hard Rock song, and a lot of info about it as usual... wink.gif ... I'll upload it in the evening...

thumbsup.gif
devilmaycry_ub
ok i am waiting 4 it....
VanjaT630
October 22nd, 2007 - Tone Of The Day on Monday...

AC/DC - Thunderstruck

Download ringtone:
--> Intro
--> Intro 2
--> Chorus
--> Solo

user posted image

# Single by AC/DC
# from the album 'The Razors Edge'
# B-side - "Fire Your Guns"
# Released - 1990
# Format - CD
# Recorded - 1990
# Genre - Hard Rock
# Length - 4:52
# Label - ATCO
# Producer - Bruce Fairbairn

About

Thunderstruck is the first song on the 1990 AC/DC album The Razors Edge.

The song peaked at number #5 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks. It was released as a single in Germany, Australia and Japan. Shown is the cover of the German release of the "Thunderstruck" single. The song is said to be inspired by lead guitarist Angus Young's hair-raising experience when a plane he was on was struck by lightning.

Contrary to popular belief, Young does not play "Thunderstruck"'s main riff with one hand. Instead, he picks every note; one can hear the scraping sound that the plastic of his plectrum makes as it hits each note; additionally in all AC/DC live videos, Angus can clearly be viewed picking every note. The one-handed tapping technique can only be seen in the "Thunderstruck" music video.

The video which accompanied the single was filmed at London's Brixton Academy.

The song is a staple of Michigan State University football games. Prior to every home game, an electrified Sparty comes to life to the tune of Thunderstruck and slashes the opponents emblem in half.

The song is used for preliminary player introduction at Super 14 home games for the Wellington Hurricanes at Westpac Stadium in Wellington, New Zealand. It is also used prior to the beginning of Chicago White Sox games at U.S. Cellular Field,as well their NBA counterparts, the Chicago Bulls to spark rallies at the United Center and their NFL Counterparts, the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field and at tipoff of Seattle Storm games at KeyArena. The Houston Texans use it after they run onto the field or score a touchdown at Reliant Stadium. The University of Virginia Cavaliers men's basketball team uses the song in their pre-game introduction at the John Paul Jones Arena.

The song is also the unofficial theme song for the ECHL's Stockton Thunder and is played during shootouts at fellow ECHL team Las Vegas Wranglers games , the Marshall University Thundering Herd, the Tampa Bay Lightning of the National Hockey League, and the Wichita Thunder of the Central Hockey League. This song is also used when Atlanta Braves pitcher John Smoltz comes up to bat, and was also used as his theme song when he spent three seasons as a closer. Salomon Torres of the Pittsburgh Pirates also used the song during his duration as the team's closer. Another baseball closer, Seattle's J.J. Putz currently uses "Thunderstruck" as his theme song.

Australian NRL team the Melbourne Storm also use this song when running out onto the field. The song is played at the start of Texas Longhorn men's basketball games. Hypnotist and AC/DC fanatic, Mike Mandel uses it to get psyched-up for his marathon run of shows at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto. The song was also an unofficial theme song for the National Basketball Association player Dan Majerle. Majerle's nickname was "Thunder Dan"; thus, "Thunderstruck" would usually be played as an introduction, or after an exceptional Majerle play. This usage of the song was prominent during Majerle's home games as a member of the Phoenix Suns. The song is used for a commercial for the 2007 movie Hot Rod.

An instrumental version of the song is also played by BBC Radio Five Live during the formation lap in their Formula 1 coverage. The beginning of this song is also often played on the Lars Larson show.

The song has also spawned a drinking game popular among college students in which participants alternate chugging an alcoholic beverage every time the word "Thunder" is said during the song.[citation needed]

During the campaign of 2004, then Leader of the Opposition, now Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper named "Thunderstruck" as his favorite song.
silverbell86
nice tunes Vanja, i like it! thumbsup.gif especially intro 2 clapping.gif
antonis1978
ACDC wow.gif

I used to hearing them a lot thumbsup.gif

Nice choise wink.gif
VanjaT630
I won't be able to make a ringtone today for Monday.. I'll make it tomorrow sometime before noon...
chrisa21
ok vanja.....we'll waiting smile.gif
devilmaycry_ub
vanja i am still waiting smile.gif
VanjaT630
October 30th, 2007 - Tone Of The Day on Monday...

LED ZEPPELIN - Stairway To Heaven

ATTENTION - One very loooooong post... blink.gif ... haha.gif

Download ringtone:
--> Intro
--> Intro 2
--> Chorus
--> Chorus 2
--> Solo

user posted image

# Album - (Led Zeppelin IV)
# Released - November 8, 1971
# Recorded - December 1970 – March 1971
# Genre - Hard rock, Folk rock
# Length - 8:02
# Label - Atlantic Records
# Writer - Page/Plant
# Producer - Jimmy Page

Song construction and release

The song's instrumentals were written by Page "over a long period, the first part coming at Bron-Yr-Aur one night". Page always kept a cassette recorder around, and the idea for "Stairway" came together from bits of taped music. The opening guitar cadence took influence from a song called 'Taurus' by the band 'Spirit' with whom Led Zeppelin were acquainted in their opening days.

The first attempts at lyrics, written by Led Zeppelin vocalist Robert Plant next to an evening log fire at Headley Grange, were partly spontaneously improvised and Page claimed, "a huge percentage of the lyrics were written there and then". Jimmy Page was strumming the chords and Robert Plant had a pencil and paper. Plant later said that suddenly, "my hand was writing out the words, 'There's a lady who's sure, all that glitters is gold, and she's buying a stairway to heaven'. I just sat there and looked at them and almost leapt out of my seat." Plant's own explanation of the lyrics was that it "was some cynical aside about a woman getting everything she wanted all the time without giving back any thought or consideration. The first line begins with that cynical sweep of the hand ... and it softened up after that."

The recording of "Stairway to Heaven" started in December 1970 at Island Records' new Basing Street Studios in London. The song was completed by the addition of lyrics by Plant during the sessions for Led Zeppelin IV at Headley Grange, Hampshire, in 1971. The complete studio recording was released on Led Zeppelin IV in November 1971.

Live performances

The inaugural public performance of the song took place at Belfast's Ulster Hall on 1971-03-05. Bassist John Paul Jones recalls that the crowd was unimpressed: "They were all bored to tears waiting to hear something they knew". Bootleg recordings of this show, however, indicate that the Irish crowd gave a loud and long applause as soon as the last words were sung. Page stated about an early performance at the LA Forum that:
“ I'm not saying the whole audience gave us a standing ovation - but there was this sizable standing ovation there. And I thought, 'This is incredible because no one's heard this number yet. This is the first time hearing it!' It obviously touched them, so I knew there was something with that one."

Following the first performance, "Stairway to Heaven" was performed at almost every Led Zeppelin concert until the band's breakup after drummer John Bonham's death in 1980. Some sources state that the song was performed at every single show from its debut the Ulster Hall, but this is incorrect. In their later concert tours, the band chose to perform the song as their final number (before encores), and on rare occasions their concerts were cut short before they could perform the song (as for example at Tampa Stadium in 1977, when a thunderstorm caused the band to leave the stage early). The band's final performance of the song was at Berlin on July 7, 1980, which was also their final concert.

Live, filmed versions of the song are preserved on the band's concert film The Song Remains the Same, featuring a performance from Madison Square Garden in 1973, and on the Led Zeppelin DVD, featuring a performance from Earls Court Exhibition Centre in 1975. Official audio versions are also available on The Song Remains the Same's accompanying soundtrack, on Led Zeppelin BBC Sessions (a performance from London's Paris Theatre in 1971) and on How the West Was Won (a performance from the Long Beach Arena in 1972). There are also countless audio versions which can be found on unofficial Led Zeppelin bootleg recordings. When played live, the band would often extend the song to over ten minutes in length, with Page playing a lengthy guitar solo and Plant adding a number of lyrical ad-libs, such as "Does anybody remember laughter?" and "I hope so". For performing this song live, Page used a custom built Gibson EDS-1275 double-neck guitar so he would not have to pause when switching from a six to a twelve string guitar (although the studio version had been recorded on a Fender Telecaster).

By 1975, the song was installed at the finale of every Led Zeppelin concert. However, after their concert tour of the United States in 1977, Plant began to tire of "Stairway To Heaven":
“ There's only so many times you can sing it and mean it ... It just became sanctimonious.”

The song was played again by the surviving members of Led Zeppelin at the Live Aid concert in 1985; at the Atlantic Records 40th anniversary party in 1988, with Jason Bonham on drums; and by Jimmy Page as an instrumental version on his solo tours. Teasingly, the first few bars were played alone during Page and Plant tours, in lieu of the final notes of "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You." However, in November 1994 Page and Plant performed an acoustic version of the song at a Tokyo news station for Japanese television.

Plant cites the Live Aid performance as the most unusual performance of the song ever, "with two drummers while Duran Duran cried at the side of the stage - there was something quite surreal about that."

Success and influence

"Stairway to Heaven" continues to top radio lists of the greatest rock songs, as well as topping a recent Guitar World poll. As at 2000, the song had been broadcast on radio over three million times. It is also the biggest-selling single piece of sheet music clocking up an average of 15,000 copies yearly. In total, over one million copies have been sold.

The song's length precluded its release in full form as a single. Despite pressure from Atlantic Records the band would not authorize the editing of the song for single release, making "Stairway to Heaven" one of the most well-known and popular rock songs never to have been released as a single. It did, however, appear as a promotional disc in the United States, on an Australian acoustic EP, and in the 1990s as a 20th anniversary promo book.

In 2004, Rolling Stone magazine put it at #31 on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

Music

The song is a multi-movement suite. A quiet introduction featuring acoustic guitar and three recorders (ending at-2:15) gradually moves into to a slow electric middle section (2:16-5:33), before the faster hard rock final section (5:34-end). Page stated that the song "speeds up like an adrenaline flow".

Written in the key of A minor and mainly in common time the song opens with an arpeggiated, hybrid-picked guitar chord progression with a chromatic descending bassline A-G#-G-F#-F. John Paul Jones contributed overdubbed wooden bass recorders in the opening section (he used a Mellotron, and later, a Yamaha CP70B Grand Piano and Yamaha GX1 to synthesize this arrangement in live performances) and a Hohner Electra-Piano electric piano in the middle section.

The sections build with more guitar layers, each complementary to the intro with the drums entering at 4:17. The extended Jimmy Page guitar solo in the song's final section was played for the recording on a 1958 Fender Telecaster (an instrument he used extensively with the Yardbirds) plugged into a Supro amplifier although in a Guitar World interview Page also claims, "It could have been a Marshall, but I can't remember". Three different solos were recorded with Page agonizing about deciding which to keep. The other guitar parts were played using a Harmony acoustic guitar and Fender Electric XII (12-string); both can be heard on the left and right recording channels respectively. For live versions, Page switched to using a Heritage Cherry Gibson EDS-1275 6/12 Doubleneck guitar. The final progression is a i-VII-VI (natural minor) progression (Am G F), a mainstay of rock music.

The opening chord progression and verse in "Stairway to Heaven" are nearly identical to the 1968 instrumental "Taurus" by the group Spirit. In the liner notes to the reissue of Spirit's 1968 eponymous debut, songwriter Randy California mentions the fact that Jimmy Page took special interest in "Taurus". Prior to his death in 1997, Randy California was often asked about it in interviews, to which he typically responded that he did not consider the "Stairway" intro to be a rip-off, but simply a "reworking" of his song.

Led Zeppelin was the opening act for Spirit's 1968 tour. While nobody in Led Zeppelin has ever cited influence from the track, the band was known to incorporate bits of the Spirit song Fresh Garbage into their early concert medleys, and Jimmy Page has said that his use of a theremin was inspired by seeing Randy California use one.

Other versions

Covers

A few attempts at a straightforward cover have been made over the years, notably by glam metal band Great White. The supergroup Far Corporation was the first act to chart with a single release of the song, barely making the charts in the U.S., while becoming a top-10 hit in the UK in October 1985. Tiny Tim has a recorded version of the song, on his album Girl, where he is accompanied by the band Brave Combo, and it is played very jazzy and lounge, which is one of three times the song will be played as a lounge song. Frank Zappa recorded an original version of the song during his 1988 world tour, and it appeared on the 1991 live album The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life. In 1993, the band Leningrad Cowboys collaborated with the Red Army Choir to perform a cover of the song. Jewish rock musician Dan Torres recorded an acoustic version on Dan Torres's Greatest Hits clocking in at 8:21, featuring louder, longer verses.

The band Heart regularly performed this song in 1976 and a live version of this song by Heart appears as a bonus track on the CD release of 1976's Little Queen album

Singer Dolly Parton recorded a country-bluegrass version on her 2002 album Halos & Horns. Parton also used the intro chord progression from the song in her own 1976 single "We Used To," which reached the Top 10 on the Billboard country charts. Pop singer Pat Boone chose it to close out his 1997 album of heavy metal covers In a Metal Mood: No More Mr. Nice Guy.

Punk rock cover band Me First and the Gimme Gimmes covered this song on their 2004 album Ruin Jonny's Bar Mitzvah. Their version, which includes only the first three verses of the song, begins with a straightforward rendition and then kicks into an energetic pop 'punk' style.

Native American singer Jana recorded an electronic cover of Stairway to Heaven which won the Native American Music Award (Nammy) for Best Song in 2002.

The London Philharmonic Orchestra, under the direction of Peter Scholes, recorded an instrumental version of the song on the album Kashmir: The Symphonic Led Zeppelin. Jazz guitarist Stanley Jordan recorded an instrumental cover of Stairway to Heaven where he simultaneously played two independent parts on one guitar with no overdubs. Rodrigo y Gabriela recently recorded an instrumental cover of Stairway to Heaven for their self-titled album in 2006. An instrumental version has also appeared on the bluegrass album "Pickin' on Zeppelin: A Tribute".
"The Money or the Gun" "Stairways to Heaven" video tape (25 versions of the song includes the well-known version by Rolf Harris)
"The Money or the Gun"
"Stairways to Heaven" video tape
(25 versions of the song includes the well-known version by Rolf Harris)

Many other covers are ironic or intentionally humorous, notably Dread Zeppelin's reggae/Elvis-inspired version, Pat Boone's and Richard Cheese's lounge takes, and Rolf Harris's didgeridoo-and-wobble board interpretation (which reached number 7 in the UK charts in 1993). Rolf Harris's version was one of 25 different versions of the song that were performed live by guest stars on the early 1990s Australian chat show The Money or the Gun - each being a unique version of the song in the usually idiosyncratic style of performance of each guest star, following which the best 25 performances of the song were released on video tape for posterity (Rolf Harris' version would appear to be the only version that people are aware of). A compilation of these versions, titled Stairways to Heaven, was put out on the Atlantic label, featuring versions of the song by The Australian Doors Show, The Beatnix, John Paul Young, Kate Ceberano, Leonard Teale, Sandra Hahn and Michael Turkic (Grand Opera), The Ministry of Fun, Neil Pepper, Pardon Me Boys, Robyne Dunn, The Rock Lobsters, Rolf Harris, Vegimite Reggae, The Doug Anthony Allstars with Barry Crocker and others.

Harris is said to have received death threats from fans of the song for his version of this iconic rock anthem. The Foo Fighters's lead singer Dave Grohl also performed a humorous version of the song on The Late Late Show With Craig Kilborn, where he pretended to forget the lyrics (Grohl is an avid Led Zeppelin fan and has numerous tattoos representing the band across his body) and proceeded to improvise the electric guitar solo vocally.

A novelty song featuring the music and arrangement of the song combined with the lyrics to the "Theme from Gilligan's Island" (which has a similar chord progression) was recorded by the San Francisco band Little Roger and the Goosebumps and often featured on the Dr. Demento radio program. Singer Robert Plant has described this as his favorite cover "version" of the song.

The Tsindos experience had once performed their own version of the song, which was a WoW parody depicting a troll trying to get an item in the game.

In Guitar Hero II, a loading screen with a message states "Remember, NO STAIRWAY!" as a reference to fans who've demanded this song to be in the game, and to a scene in Wayne's World. It is said[attribution needed] that Harmonix wanted to acquire the rights to this song for the game but was unable to.

Parodies

A parody of "Stairway to Heaven" was recorded by the ApologetiX, a Christian parody band. "Narrow Way to Heaven" depicts their interpretation of the Christian path to Heaven.

Another parody by lampoonist Brockeim, "Stairway to Amazon," describes two book reviewers vying for the top spot at the popular online book retailer.

Also popular on Dr. Demento's program was "7-Eleven", a parody based on the title of the store, by Led Slurpee, a one-time-only pseudonym of the duo Icemark composed of Rob "Iceman" Izenberg and former KZZP disk jockey Mark Jonathan Davis.

Another interesting parody was 'Stairway to Gilligan's Island," that pairs the music of Stairway to Heaven to the lyrics of the theme song to the tv show 'Gilligan's island'

Perhaps more pun than parody, the Butthole Surfers' 1988 release was entitled Hairway to Steven.

In 2007, Andrew Hansen from the Australian comedy show The Chasers War On Everything wrote and performed a parody of the song entited "Stairway to Kevin" based around the upcoming Australian national election in which opposition leader Kevin Rudd will be contesting for Prime Minister.

Live performances

During live performances of their song Tribute, Tenacious D often plays the song with bits and pieces of guitar riffs and chord progressions from Stairway to Heaven. Also, they often sing the last few words of the song similarly to how the end of Stairway to Heaven is sung. On their HBO series version of Tribute, large chunks of the song use chord progressions and vocals reminiscent of Stairway to Heaven.

Backmasking controversy

Critics of rock and roll songs (and of Led Zeppelin in particular) have alleged that a backmasked message is recorded into "Stairway to Heaven." The message, which allegedly occurs during the middle section of the song ("If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now..."), is purported to contain Satanic references:

Oh here's to my sweet Satan.
The one whose little path would make me sad, whose power is Satan.
He will give those with him 666.
There was a little toolshed where he made us suffer, sad Satan.

– Most popular version of the lyrics to Stairway to Heaven played backwards

The controversy originated from a prominent Baptist, who, in 1982, preached on the radio that "Stairway to Heaven" contained subliminal backward messages. This theory was later primarily advanced by Michael Mills, Jacob Aranza, and Jeff Godwin, who offered detailed analyses of the hidden meanings of both the "backwards" and actual lyrics. In 1982, the Consumer Protection and Toxic Materials Committee of the California State Assembly held a hearing on backmasking in popular music, during which "Stairway to Heaven" was played backwards. William Yarroll, a self-identified neuroscientist, claimed that "Stairway to Heaven," when played backward, contains a similar message: "I sing because I live with Satan. The Lord turns me off — there's no escaping it. Here's to my sweet Satan, whose power is Satan. He will give you 666. I live for Satan." Other versions of the alleged message include "Here's to my sweet Satan, no other made a path. For it makes me sad. Whose power is Satan? Oh, my number, 666", and "Oh, here's to my sweet Satan. The One whose little path has made me sad. Whose power is Satan? Oh, my number, 666".

Led Zeppelin has for the most part ignored such claims; for years the only comment came from Swan Song Records which issued the statement: "Our turntables only play in one direction—forwards". Zeppelin producer Eddie Kramer confirmed this, calling the allegations "totally and utterly ridiculous. Why would they want to spend so much studio time doing something so dumb?" Robert Plant expressed frustration with the accusations in an interview: "To me it's very sad, because 'Stairway to Heaven' was written with every best intention, and as far as reversing tapes and putting messages on the end, that's not my idea of making music."

An informal experiment by scientist Simon Singh suggested that listeners only hear the message after prompting.
devilmaycry_ub
Oh my god sad.gif .... i am not reading this tongue.gif
chrisa21
as i can see every week you write more and more vanja tongue.gif:P

nice pick mate wink.gif 10.gif
pantoflica
10.gif clap.gif one of my fav songs ever!! clap.gif notworthy.gif thank you vanja
btw... can someone explain me in few words what was all that text about? wacko.gif
VanjaT630
November 5th, 2007 - Tone Of The Day on Monday...

CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL - Bad Moon Rising

Download ringtone:
--> Intro
--> Chorus
--> Solo

user posted image

# Album - Green River
# Released - August 3, 1969
# Recorded - 1969, Wally Heider's Studio, San Francisco, California
# Genre - Rock
# Length - 2:36
# Label - Fantasy
# Writer - John Fogerty
# Producer - John Fogerty, Saul Zaentz

"Bad Moon Rising" is a 1969 song by Creedence Clearwater Revival, written by John Fogerty. It was the lead single from their album Green River and the group’s breakthrough hit, reaching #2 on the Billboard hot 100 singles chart and #1 on the UK singles chart for three weeks in September 1969.

The lyrics utilize images of the bad moon rising and apocalyptic weather conditions while Fogerty sings of "rage and ruin" and hopes that "you are quite prepared to die".

A common mondegreen of the last line is "There's a bathroom on the right". The correct line is "There's a bad moon on the rise". Fogerty himself has been known to occasionally substitute the "bathroom" version of the lyric as a joke during his live shows, including on his 1998 live album Premonition.

In pop culture

* It was one of many "moon"-titled songs to feature on the soundtrack to An American Werewolf in London.
* It was featured on the soundtrack of Sweet Home Alabama.
* The season one finale of Supernatural featured the song playing on the radio of the characters' '67 Impala just as a semi driven by a possessed man hits them and nearly totals the car.
* The season three finale of Las Vegas features the song in the opening minutes.
* Ann Wilson, lead singer of Heart, recorded a cover version of this song for her 2007 solo release Hope & Glory with country music singer Gretchen Wilson.
* Other artists, such as Rolf Harris, Type O Negative, Lagwagon, Social Distortion, Rasputina, Rancid, The Reels, and Steel Train have also covered the song.
* The song was sung by Homer Simpson in The Simpsons episode Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington when Marge asked him to perform CPR.
* An innovative version appears on an album (COMD2009 On The Rise) that was released in 1986 by the Scottish traditional music group, The Battlefield Band (the group has a tradition of ending their first set with one or another of Creedence Clearwater Revival's hit songs). The first half of track 6 comprises an instrumental version of John Fogerty's Bad Moon Rising presented in a unique fashion (their version is usually introduced to live audiences as "a surfing song from the Outer Hebrides"), whilst the second half of track 6 comprises "The Rising Moon Reel", written by their piper, Dougie Pincock, which is a stirring reel.
* Sportscaster Chris Berman gave the nickname to former NFL receiver Andre Rison, "Andre 'Bad Moon' Rison".
* There is an episode of the TV show The West Wing titled "Bad Moon Rising."
* There is an episode of the TV show Everybody Loves Raymond titled "Bad Moon Rising."
* Manchester United fans have a song called "Stretford End Rising" based on the song.
* Rolf Harris covered the song. His version appears on the albums Can you tell what it is yet, Rolf Rules OK? and King Rolf.
* Nirvana (band) played this song live
* In Stephen King's book The Shining the character Jack turns on the radio to this song. Some take it as foreshadowing of future events at the Overlook Hotel in the film to the book.
* The song was covered by psychobilly band The Meteors; the cover can be found not only on their album Monkey's Breath, but on their best of album as well.
VanjaT630
November 12th, 2007 - Tone Of The Day on Monday...

GUNS N' ROSES - Sweet Child O' Mine

Download ringtone:
--> Intro
--> Intro 2
--> Chorus
--> Solo
--> Solo 2

user posted image

# Single by Guns N' Roses from the album Appetite for Destruction
# Released - 1988
# Format - Vinyl single (7", 12"), Cassette, CD
# Recorded - 1987
# Genre - Hard rock
# Length - 5:56
# Label - Geffen
# Writers - Axl Rose, Slash, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan
# Producer - Mike Clink

""Sweet Child o' Mine" is a power ballad by the hard rock band Guns N' Roses. It was released on their debut album Appetite for Destruction on July 21, 1987. "Sweet Child o' Mine" was Guns N' Roses' first number-one single on the Billboard Hot 100, spending two weeks at the top spot in September 1988.

Song

The song is credited as being written by Guns N' Roses as a band; more specifically it contains Slash's riff, Izzy's chords, Axl's lyrics, and McKagan's bass line. The subject of the song is generally thought to be lead singer Axl Rose's then-girlfriend and eventual wife, Erin Everly.

Former Guns N' Roses' lead guitarist, Slash, has been quoted as having a disdain for the song due to its roots as simply a 'string skipping' exercise and a joke at the time. In a VH1 special, it was stated that Slash played the riff in a jam session as a joke. Drummer Steven Adler and Slash were warming up and Slash began to play a "circus" melody while making faces at Steven. Adler asked him to play the riff again, and Izzy Stradlin came in with the chords. Axl became intrigued and started singing the poem he had written. In an interview with Hit Parader magazine in 1988, bassist Duff McKagan noted:
“The thing about 'Sweet Child,' it was written in five minutes. It was one of those songs, only three chords. You know that guitar lick Slash does at the beginning? It was kinda like a joke because we thought, 'What is this song? It's gonna be nothin', it'll be filler on the record.' And except that vocal-wise, it's very sweet and sincere, Slash was <swearword snipped>in' around when he first wrote that lick.”

The song has three guitar solos -- one after each of the three times the chorus is sung: The first is a short, simple one, the second is one of regular length, and the third a long, elaborate one, which is the most notable.

Music video

The "Sweet Child o' Mine" video depicts the band rehearsing in an abandoned theater, surrounded by crew members. Several of the band members' girlfriends were shown in the clip. The video was extremely successful on MTV, and helped launch the song to success on mainstream radio.

In an effort to make "Sweet Child o' Mine" more marketable to MTV and radio stations, the song was cut from 5:56 minutes to 4:20, with much of Slash's guitar solo removed. This move drew the ire of the band members, including Axl Rose, who commented on it in a 1989 interview with Rolling Stone: "I hate the edit of 'Sweet Child o' Mine.' Radio stations said, "Well, your vocals aren't cut." "My favorite part of the song is Slash's slow solo; it's the heaviest part for me. There's no reason for it to be missing except to create more space for commercials, so the radio-station owners can get more advertising dollars. When you get the chopped version of 'Paradise City' or half of 'Sweet Child' and 'Patience' cut, you're getting screwed."

On an interview on Eddie Trunk's New York radio show in May 2006, Axl Rose stated that his original concept for the video focused on the theme of drug trafficking. According to Rose, the video was to depict an Asian woman carrying a baby into a foreign land, only to discover at the end that the child was dead and filled with heroin. This concept was rejected by Geffen Records.

There is also an alternative video for "Sweet Child o' Mine" with different captures and the footage entirely in black and white.

Accolades

"Sweet Child o' Mine" placed #37 on Guitar World's list of the "100 Greatest Guitar Solos." It also came in at number three on Blender's 500 Greatest Songs Since You Were Born, and at number 196 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. In March 2005, Q magazine placed it at number 6 in its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Tracks. The introduction's famous D-flat based riff was also voted number-one riff of all-time by the readers of Total Guitar magazine. It was also in Rolling Stones 40 Greatest Songs that Changed the World. It places number 7 in VH1's "100 Best Songs of the 80s", and placed #210 on the RIAA Songs of the Century list.
The sign in a guitar store on Denmark Street, London: "Absolutely, under no circumstance at all are customers allowed to play Stairway to Heaven, Sweet Child of Mine, or Smoke on the Water while trying out guitars. Thank You."
The sign in a guitar store on Denmark Street, London: "Absolutely, under no circumstance at all are customers allowed to play Stairway to Heaven, Sweet Child of Mine, or Smoke on the Water while trying out guitars. Thank You."

Cover versions and re-recordings

The song has been covered by many artists including most recently (in bluegrass-style) Atlanta band Stop Drop & Roll, Texas, Sheryl Crow, Most Precious Blood, Akasha featuring Neneh Cherry, Schmoof, Flat Pack, Luna, Chester the Pup, Dead Tongues, DJ Dex & A, and The Aluminium Group. The song was also performed in many live concerts by country singer Carrie Underwood, opening with her alone on acoustic guitar and using her voice to reference Slash's intro guitar tones, before launching into a full band rock-out. Bonnie Tyler performed it on the for Charity DVD Rock for Asia in 2005.

It was partially performed by Linkin Park at Rock am Ring on March 6, 2001, and was also performed by them on September 5, 2004. The Manic Street Preachers also frequently play it as an introduction to their song "Motown Junk" in live concerts. The main riff is also replayed by Red Hot Chili Peppers at the end of the song "Punk Rock Classic". The intro is also sampled in a song on the Fort Minor mixtape, titled "S.C.O.M."(Sweet Child o' Mine). Avenged Sevenfold frequently use the opening riff as a segue between songs during live concerts.

In 1999, the song was covered by Sheryl Crow and re-recorded by the then-new Guns N' Roses members for the film Big Daddy. The new Guns N' Roses version which morphed into a live version half way through was not featured on the original soundtrack album of the movie, but can be heard during the movie's ending credits. The song was also featured in the 1990 film State of Grace, in a bar during a brawl.

It was performed on December 2, 2006 at the Nokia Theater in New York City by Jam Band Umphrey's McGee.

Black Eyed Peas usually performs the first verses of this song as well during their live shows. Turbonegro uses the intro as Introlick for the Song Bad Mongo played live.

It was also featured as a playable track in the video game Guitar Hero II.

Part of the song is featured at the beginning of the episode "Witch Hunt" of the hit CBS show NCIS.Part of the song is used in scenes of a little girl.The song ends when a sound of a gunshot is heard indicating that the girl in the scenes is the deceased daughter of the show's main character Leroy Jethro Gibbs.

Steve Morse from Deep Purple played the intro and interlude in Deep Purple's recent UK tour 2007.

Juelz Santana samples the intro riff in his song "From Bottom to Top"
silverbell86
you won't believe but i read that very very very long post wink.gif i love this song 10.gif great choice Vanja thumbsup.gif thumbs_up.gif
antonis1978
I used to hear them at high school wow.gif
One of my fav bands 10.gif
Nice pick thumbsup.gif

Go to my favs 10.gif
VanjaT630
Thanks guys and girls... haha.gif ... thumbsup.gif ...

@ silverbell - If you're so eager to read that much, I can make even longer posts... tongue.gif
silverbell86
Vanja don't think that nobody haven't noticed that... devil2.gif where's your tune and famous long post tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif smile.gif
gka3000
Nov 19th, 2007 Tone Of The Day - Monday - Rock - This Weeks Entry

Rock U Like A Hurricane By Scorpions

user posted image

History

Formation and early history (1965-1973)

Rudolf Schenker, the band's rhythm guitarist, set out to find a band in 1965. At first, the band was school-kind with beat influences and Schenker himself on vocals. Things began to come together in 1969 when Schenker's younger brother Michael and vocalist Klaus Meine joined the band. In 1972 the group recorded and released their debut album Lonesome Crow with Lothar Heimberg on bass and Wolfgang Dziony on drums. During the Lonesome Crow tour, Scorpions opened for upcoming British band UFO. At the end of the tour the members of UFO offered guitarist Michael Schenker the lead guitar job; an offer which he soon accepted. Uli Roth was then called in temporarily to finish off the tour.

The departure of Michael Schenker led to the break up of the Scorpions. In 1973, guitarist Uli Roth, a friend of the Schenker brothers, was in a band called Dawn Road. He had been offered the role as lead guitarist in Scorpions after Michael Schenker's departure but turned the band down. Rudolf decided that he wanted to work with Roth but did not want to resurrect the last Scorpions lineup.

Rudolf Schenker attended some of Dawn Road's rehearsals and ultimately decided to join the band, which consisted of Roth, Francis Buchholz (bass),Achim Kirschning (keyboards) and Jurgen Rosenthal (drums). Roth persuaded Rudolf Schenker to invite Klaus Meine to join, which he did soon after. While there were more members of Dawn Road than Scorpions in the band, they decided to use the Scorpions name because they had released an album and were known in the German hard rock scene. [1]

Rise to popularity (1974-1978)

In 1974 the new line-up of Scorpions released Fly to the Rainbow. The album proved to be more successful than Lonesome Crow and songs such as "Speedy's Coming" and the title track began to establish the band's sound. Achim Kirschning decided to leave after the recordings but subsequently guested on keyboards for the next two albums. Soon after, Jürgen Rosenthal had to leave as he was being drafted into the army, and was replaced by a Belgian drummer, Rudy Lenners. He later joined German progressive rock band called Eloy in 1976 and recorded three albums with them. It wasn't until the following year that the band hit their stride with the release of In Trance. In Trance marked the beginning of Scorpions' long collaboration with German producer Dieter Dierks. The album was a huge step forward for Scorpions and firmly established their hard rock formula, while at the same time garnering a substantial fan base, both at home and abroad. Cuts such as "Dark Lady", "Robot Man" and the title track are still considered classics by fans today.

In 1976, Scorpions released Virgin Killer. The album's cover, which featured a fully nude prepubescent girl, brought the band considerable criticism and was ultimately pulled or replaced in several countries. In spite of the controversy - lead singer Klaus Meine even expressed shock - the album garnered significant praise from critics and fans alike. The following year, Rudy Lenners resigned due to health reasons and was replaced by Herman Rarebell.

The follow-up to Virgin Killer, Taken by Force, was the first Scorpions record to be aggressively promoted in the United States. RCA Records, the band's label, made a determined effort to promote the album in stores and on the radio. The album's single, "Steamrock Fever", was added to some of RCA's radio promotional records. RCA also supervised the album cover design avoiding any controversy by including introduction-type photographs that included the names of each member under individual photos. Roth was not happy with the label's efforts and the commercial direction the band was taking. Although he performed on the band's Japan tour, he departed to form his own band, Electric Sun prior to the release of the resultant double live album Tokyo Tapes. Tokyo Tapes was released in the US and Europe six months after its Japanese release. By that time in mid 1978, after auditioning around 140 guitarists, Scorpions recruited new guitarist Matthias Jabs.

Commercial success (1979-1990)

Following the addition of Jabs, Scorpions left RCA for Mercury Records to record their next album. Just weeks after being evicted from UFO for his alcohol abuse, Michael Schenker also returned to the group for a short period during the recordings of the album, giving the band three guitarists (though Schenker's contributions to the final release was limited to only three songs). The result was Lovedrive, an album which some critics consider to be the pinnacle of their career[2]. Containing such fan favorites as "Loving You Sunday Morning", "Holiday" and the instrumental "Coast to Coast", the "Scorpions formula" of hard rock songs mixed in with melodic ballads was firmly cemented. The album's provocative artwork was named "Best album sleeve of 1979" by Playboy magazine but was ultimately changed for American release. Lovedrive peaked at #55 on the US charts proving that Scorpions were gathering an international following. After the completion and release of the album, the band decided to retain Michael in the band, thus forcing Matthias Jabs to leave. But after a few weeks of the tour, Michael, still coping with alcoholism, kept missing a few gigs (at one point collapsing on stage) and Matthias Jabs was brought back to fill in for him on those occasions when he couldn't perform. In April 1979, during their tour in France, Matthias Jabs was brought in permanently to replace Michael Schenker.

In 1980, the band released Animal Magnetism, again with a provocative cover showing a girl kneeling in front of a man's crotch. While Animal Magnetism contained classics such as "The Zoo" and "Make It Real", it was a critical disappointment when compared with Lovedrive. Soon after the album's release, Meine began experiencing throat problems. He required surgery on his vocal cords and there were doubts as to whether he would ever sing again.

While Meine made a full recovery, the band began working on their next album, Blackout. Don Dokken was brought in to provide guide and backing vocals so that Meine could let his vocal cords completely heal. [2] Meine eventually healed completely and was able to finish the album. Blackout was released in 1982 and quickly became the band's best selling to date, eventually going platinum. Meine's voice showed no signs of weakness and critical response to the album was good. Blackout spawned three hit singles: "Dynamite," "Blackout" and "No One Like You".

It was not until 1984 and the release of Love at First Sting that the band finally cemented their status as rock superstars. Propelled by the single "Rock You Like a Hurricane", Love at First Sting went up the charts and went double platinum a few months after its release. However, Scorpions did manage to stir up controversy once again with their provocative album cover. This time it was a boy kissing a girl and at the same time planting a tattoo on her naked thigh. Some shops refused to sell the album, mimicking a gag from the satire movie This Is Spinal Tap that came out the same year. MTV gave the album's videos "Rock You Like a Hurricane", "Bad Boys Running Wild", "Big City Nights", and the power ballad "Still Loving You" significant airtime, greatly contributing to the album's success. The channel even supplied Scorpions with the nickname "The Ambassadors of Rock".

The band toured extensively behind Love at First Sting and decided to record and release their second live album, World Wide Live. Recorded over a year-long period and released at the height of their popularity, the album was another success for the band, peaking at #17 on the charts.

After their extensive world tours, the band finally returned to the studio to record Savage Amusement. Released in 1988, four years after their previous studio album, Savage Amusement represented a more polished pop sound similar to the style Def Leppard had found success with. The album sold well, but was considered somewhat of a critical disappointment. British heavy rock magazine Kerrang! did award the album 5 K's out of 5 though.

On the Savage Amusement tour in 1988, Scorpions became only the second Western group to play in the Soviet Union (the first being Uriah Heep in December 1987), with a performance in Leningrad. The following year the band returned to perform at the Moscow Music Peace Festival. As a result, Scorpions developed a strong Russian fan base and still return regularly to perform throughout the area. [3]

Wishing to distance themselves from the Savage Amusement style, the band separated from their long-time producer and "Sixth Scorpion," Dieter Dierks, ultimately replacing him with Keith Olsen when they returned to the studio in 1990. Crazy World was released that same year and displayed a less polished sound. The album was a hit, propelled in large part by the massive success of the ballad "Wind of Change". The song muses on the socio-political changes that were occurring in Eastern Europe and in other parts of the world at the end of the Cold War. On July 21, 1990 they joined many other guests for Roger Waters' massive performance of The Wall in Berlin. Scorpions performed both versions of "In the Flesh" from The Wall.

Later days (1991-present)

After the release of Crazy World Francis Buchholz, the band's long-serving bassist, left the group. Replacing him was Ralph Rieckermann who handled bass duties until 2002. There were also rumours that Scorpions were upset by the heavy taxes they paid from royalties of Crazy World. As a result, they fired their manager, feeling that they might have been cheated.[4]

In 1993 Scorpions released Face the Heat. For the recording process, Scorpions brought in producer Bruce Fairbairn. The album's sound was more metallic than melodic and divided the band's fan base somewhat. Many "headbangers" responded positively to the album while many long time fans were put off. Neither the hard-rock single "Alien Nation" nor the ballad "Under The Same Sun" came close to matching the success of "Wind of Change". Face the Heat was a moderate success.

In 1995, a new live album, Live Bites, was produced. The disc documented live performances from their Savage Amusement Tour in 1988, all the way through the Face the Heat Tour in 1994. While the album had a much cleaner sound in comparison to their best-selling live album, World Wide Live, it was not as successful.

Prior to recording their 13th studio album, 1996's Pure Instinct, drummer Herman Rarebell left the band to set up a recording company. Curt Cress took charge of the drumsticks for the album before James Kottak took over permanently. Many feel Pure Instinct is a response to the complaints levied against Face the Heat. The album had many ballads. Still, the album's singles "Wild Child" and the soothing ballad "You and I" both enjoyed moderate success.

1999 saw the release of Eye II Eye and a significant change in the band's style, mixing in elements of pop and techno. While the album was slickly produced, fans were unsure what to make of the band, responding negatively to almost everything from pop-soul backup singers to the electronic drums present on several songs. The video to the album's first European single, "To Be No. 1", featured a Monica Lewinsky lookalike which did little to improve its popularity.

The following year Scorpions had a fairly successful collaboration with the Berlin Philharmonic that resulted in a 10-song album named Moment of Glory. The album went a long way towards rebuilding the band's reputation after the harsh criticism of Eye II Eye. Still, critics accused them of following on the coattails of Metallica's similar collaboration (S&M) with the San Francisco Symphony which had been released the previous year. However, the orchestra had first approached Scorpions with the idea back in 1995.

In 2001, Scorpions released Acoustica, a live unplugged album featuring acoustic reworkings of the band's biggest hits, plus new tracks. While appreciated by fans, the lack of a new studio album was frustrating to some, and Acoustica did little to return the band to the spotlight.

In 2004, the band released Unbreakable, an album that was hailed by critics as a long awaited return to form. The album was the heaviest the band had released since Face the Heat, and fans responded well to tracks such as "New Generation", "Love 'em or Leave 'em" and "Deep and Dark". Whether a result of poor promotion by the band's label or the long time between studio releases, Unbreakable received little airplay and did not chart. Scorpions toured extensively behind the album, and played as special guests with Judas Priest during the 2005 British tour.

In early 2006, Scorpions released the DVD 1 Night in Vienna that included 14 live tracks and a complete rockumentary. In LA, the band spent about 4 months in the studio with producers James Michael and Desmond Child working on their new concept album titled Humanity - Hour I, which was released in the second half of May 2007 [5]. A "Humanity World Tour" has already started. Tour dates are available on the band's official site the-scorpions.com.

On May 14 2007, Scorpions released Humanity - Hour I in Europe. Humanity - Hour I became available in the U.S. on August 28, 2007 on New Door Records, entering the Billboard charts at number #63.

When asked if the band plans to release a Humanity - Hour II, Meine replied:

“ That is what everybody is asking. There might be. Who knows? Right now we are at the beginning of the world tour. It is exciting to play the new songs and they go very well with the classics. It is exciting that there is a whole new audience out there. There are many longtime fans but there are a lot of young kids. We just played in London and in Paris and there were young kids rocking out to songs that were written way before they were born. It is amazing. I don’t want to think about Hour II right now because Hour I is so exciting. It is very inspiring to see how much the audience enjoys this new music.

Band members

Current members of the Scorpions

* Klaus Meine - lead vocals, backing vocals, rhythm guitar, percussion (1970-1981, 1981-present)

* Matthias Jabs - lead & rhythm guitars, 6 & 12 string acoustic guitars, slide guitar, fatbody jazz guitar, talk box, voice box (1978-1979, 1979-present)

* Rudolf Schenker - rhythm & lead guitars, 6 & 12 string acoustic guitars, sitar, ebo, backing vocals (1965-present) rhythm & lead guitars, lead vocals (1965-1970)

* Paweł Mąciwoda - bass (2003-present)

* James Kottak - drums, percussion, backing vocals (1996-present)

Former members

* Francis Buchholz - bass (1973-1983, 1984-1992, 1994)

* Herman Rarebell - drums, percussion (1977-1983, 1984-1995)

* Ralph Rieckermann - bass (1993-2000, 2000-2003)

* Lothar Heimberg - bass (1965-1973)

* Wolfgang Dziony - drums, percussion (1965-1973)

* Joe Wyman - drums, percussion (1973)

* Ulrich Roth - lead & rhythm guitars, backing vocals, lead vocals on "Polar Nights", "Fly to the Rainbow", "Dark Lady" (1973-1978)

* Michael Schenker - lead & rhythm guitars (1970-1973,1979)

* Rudy Lenners - drums, percussion (1975-1977)

* Jürgen Rosenthal - drums, percussion (1973-1975)

* Ken Taylor - bass (2000)

* Curt Cress - drums, percussion (1996)

* Jimmy Bain - bass (1983-1984)

* Neil Murray - bass (1983-1984)

* Bobby Rondinelli - drums, percussion (1983-1984)

* Barry Sparks - bass (2003)

* Ingo Powitzer - bass (2003)

* Don Dokken - lead vocals, backing vocals (1981)

Discography

Albums

* Lonesome Crow (1972)

* Fly to the Rainbow (1974)

* In Trance (1975)

* Virgin Killer (1976)

* Taken by Force (1977)

* Tokyo Tapes (1978, live)

* Lovedrive (1979)

* Animal Magnetism (1980)

* Blackout (1982)

* Love at First Sting (1984)

* World Wide Live (1985, live)

* Savage Amusement (1988)

* Crazy World (1990)

* Face the Heat (1993)

* Live Bites (1995, live)

* Pure Instinct (1996)

* Eye II Eye (1999)

* Moment of Glory (with the Berlin Philarmoniker, 2000)

* Acoustica (acoustic, 2001)

* Unbreakable (2004)

* Humanity: Hour I (2007)
VanjaT630
clapping.gif .... exellent song... clap.gif ...
chrisa21
excellent pick gka!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gka3000
@ vanja & chrisa -

thx guys ... clap.gif
gka3000
Nov 26th, 2007 Tone Of The Day - Monday - Rock - This Weeks Entry

One Step Closer By Linkin Park

user posted image

Linkin Park is a rock band from Agoura Hills, California. Since their formation in 1996, the band has sold more than fifty million albums and won two Grammys. With their debut album, Hybrid Theory, they achieved mainstream success; the album certifying Diamond from the RIAA. Their following studio album, Meteora, continued the band's success, topping the Billboard 200�s album charts in 2003, and was followed by extensive touring and charity work around the world.

Recognized for their adaption of the nu metal genre into a radio-friendly style in Meteora and Hybrid Theory,the band�s latest studio album, Minutes to Midnight had stemmed away from their previous nu metal sound, venturing into a variety of other genres. They are also known for their several collaborations, most notably with rapper Jay-Z in their mash-up album Collision Course, and many other artists on Reanimation.The album topped the Billboard Charts by selling nearly 625,000 copies in its debut week, making it the third best debut week of any album for the year.

Band history

Early years (1996-2000)

Originally consisting of three close high school friends from Agoura High School, Linkin Park�s foundation was anchored by Mike Shinoda, Brad Delson, and Rob Bourdon.[12] After graduating from high school, the California natives later began to take their musical interests more seriously, recruiting Joe Hahn, Dave "Phoenix" Farrell, and Mark Wakefield to perform in their band then titled Xero. Though limited in resources, the band began recording and producing songs within Shinoda�s make-shift bedroom studio in 1996.[12] Tensions and frustration within the band began to increase after they failed to land a record deal. The lack of success and stalemate in progress prompted Wakefield, at that time the band's vocalist, to leave the band in search for other projects.[12] Later, Farrell would also leave the band in order to tour with Tasty Snax, as well as other bands.[13][14]

After spending a considerable time searching for Wakefield's replacement, Xero recruited Arizona vocalist Chester Bennington. Jeff Blue, the vice president of Zomba Music, referred Bennington to the band in March 1999.[15] Bennington, formerly of a band named Grey Daze, became a standout among applicants for his unique and vivid singing style. The newborn vocal chemistry between Shinoda and Bennington helped revive the band, inciting them to work on new material.[12] The band�s renaissance culminated with a change in name; from Hybrid Theory, the band changed their name to Linkin Park, a play on and homage to Santa Monica�s Lincoln Park.[12] However, despite these changes, the band still struggled to sign a record deal. After facing numerous rejections from several major record labels, Linkin Park turned to Jeff Blue for additional help. After failing to catch Warner Bros. Records on three previous reviews, Jeff Blue, now the vice president of Warner Bros. Records, helped the band sign a deal with the company in 1999. Now aside with Warner Bros. Records, the band released their breakthrough album, Hybrid Theory, the following year.[15]

Breakthrough: Hybrid Theory (2000-2002)

Linkin Park released Hybrid Theory on October 24, 2000. The album, which represented half a decade�s worth of the band�s work, was edited and polished by music producer Don Gilmore.[12] Hybrid Theory was well received by music fans; the band sold more than 4.8 million records during its debut year, earning it the status of best-selling album of 2001, while singles such as Crawling and One Step Closer established themselves as staples among alternative rock radio play lists during the year.[13] Additionally, other singles from the album were featured in movies such as Dracula 2000, Little Nicky, and Valentine.[13] Hybrid Theory was also nominated for three Grammy Awards, including best new artist, best rock album, and best hard rock performance (for Crawling).[16] MTV also awarded the band their Best Rock Video and Best Direction awards for In the End.[12] Through the winning of the Grammy for best hard rock performance, and for Best Rock Album, Hybrid Theory�s overall success had catapulted the band into the mainstream's attention.

During this time, Linkin Park received many invitations to perform on many recognized tours and concerts including Ozzfest, Family Values Tour and KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas.[13][17] The band also formed their own tour, Projekt Revolution, which featured other notable artists such as, Cypress Hill, Adema, and Snoop Dogg.[15] Within a year�s stretch, Linkin Park had performed at over 320 concerts.[12] The experiences and performances of the precocious band were documented in their first DVD, Frat Party at the Pankake Festival, which debuted in November 2001. Now reunited with former bassist Dave Farrell, the band began work on a remix album, dubbed Reanimation, which would include works from Hybrid Theory and Hybrid Theory EP.[13] The album Reanimation debuted on July 30, 2002, featuring the likes of Black Thought, Jonathan Davis, Aaron Lewis, and many others.[18] Reanimation claimed the second spot on the Billboard 200, and sold nearly 270,000 copies during its debut week.[19]

Continued success: Meteora (2002-2004)

Following the success of Hybrid Theory and Reanimation, Linkin Park spent a significant amount of time touring around the United States. The band began to work on new material amidst the saturated schedule, spending a sliver of their free time in their tour bus' studio.[20] The band officially announced the production of a new studio album in December 2002, revealing their new work was inspired by the rocky region of Meteora in Greece, where a lot of monasteries have been built on top of the rocks.[21] Meteora featured a mixture of the band's previous nu metal and rapcore styles with newer innovative effects, including the induction of a shakuhachi (a Japanese flute made of bamboo) and other instruments.[12] Linkin Park's second album debuted on March 25, 2003 and instantly earned worldwide recognition.[12]

Meteora sold more than 800,000 copies during its first week, and it ranked as the best selling album on the Billboard charts at the time.[22] Music videos for some of the album's singles, including Somewhere I Belong, Breaking the Habit, Faint and Numb, received significant radio attention.[23] Eventually, Meteora sold nearly three million copies by October 2003.[24] The album's success allowed Linkin Park to form another Projekt Revolution, which featured other bands and artists including, Mudvayne, Blindside, and Xzibit.[12] Additionally, Metallica, a famed heavy metal group, invited Linkin Park to play at the Summer Sanitarium Tour 2003, which included well-known acts such as Limp Bizkit, Mudvayne and Deftones.[25] The band released an album and DVD, entitled Live in Texas, which consisted of audio and video tracks of some of the band's performances in Texas during the tour.[12] In early 2004, Linkin Park started a world tour titled the Meteora World Tour, supporting bands on the tour include Hoobastank, P.O.D and Story of the Year.

Meteora also earned the band additional awards and honors. The band won MTV's awards for Best Rock Video (Somewhere I Belong), Viewer's Choice Award (Breaking the Habit).[26] Linkin Park also received significant recognition during the 2004 Radio Music Awards, winning the Artist of the Year and Song of the Year (Numb) awards.[26] Although Meteora was not nearly as successful as Hybrid Theory, it was the third best selling album in America during 2003.[13] The band spent the first few months of 2004 touring around the world, first with the third Projekt Revolution tour, and later several European concerts.

Following Meteora's success, the band postponed working on a new studio album for the next several years. Instead, Linkin Park continued to tour and work on many side projects. Bennington appeared on DJ Lethal�s State of the Art and other work with Dead By Sunrise, while Shinoda did work with Depeche Mode.[13] In 2004, the band began to work with Jay-Z to produce another remix album, entitled Collision Course. The album, which featured intermixed lyrics and background tracks from both artists' previous albums, debuted in November 2004. Shinoda also formed a new band, Fort Minor, as a side project. With the aid of Jay-Z, Fort Minor released their debut album, The Rising Tied, to critical acclaim.[27][28] On the home front, the band's relationship with Warner Bros. Records was declining rapidly on account of several trust and financial issues.[29] After months of feuding, the band finally negotiated a deal in December 2005.[30]

Additionally, they also participated in numerous charitable events. Linkin Park helped raise money to benefit victims of Hurricane Charley in 2004 and later Hurricane Katrina in 2005.[13] They also helped relief efforts for the 2004 Tsunami victims by staging several charity concerts and setting up an additional fund called "Music for Relief".[31] Most notably, however, the band participated at Live 8, a series of charitable benefit concerts set up to raise global awareness.[32] Alongside Jay-Z, the band performed on Live 8's stage in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to a global audience.[32] The band would later be reunited with Jay-Z at the Grammy Award Ceremony 2006, during which they performed Numb/Encore, en route to winning a Grammy for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration.[33] They would later go on to play at the 2006 Summer Sonic music festival, which was hosted by Metallica, in Japan.[34]

Reemergence: Minutes to Midnight (2006-present)

Linkin Park returned to the recording studios in 2006 to work on new material. To produce the album, the band chose popular producer Rick Rubin. Despite initially stating the album would debut sometime in 2006, the album was pushed off to 2007.[35] The band had recorded thirty to fifty songs in August 2006, when Shinoda stated the album was halfway completed.[36] Bennington later added that the new album would stray away from their previous nu metal sound.[37] Warner Bros. Records officially announced that the band�s third studio album, entitled Minutes to Midnight, would be released on May 15, 2007 in the United States.[38] After spending fourteen months working on the album, the band opted to further refine their album by removing five of the original seventeen tracks.[35] Minutes to Midnight sold over 600,000 copies in its first week, making it one of the most successful debut week albums in recent years. The album also captured the top spot on the Billboard Charts.[11]

The album's first single, "What I've Done" was released on April 2, and later premiered on MTV and Fuse within the same week.[39] The single was acclaimed by listeners, reaching the Billboard Hot 100 days after its debut, and later was the top-ranked song on the Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks and Mainstream Rock Tracks charts.[40] Bleed It Out is the second single from Minutes to Midnight which was released August 20, 2007. Shadow of the Day, the third single, was released in the UK on October 8. The song has also been released in the U.S (October 16)

Linkin Park performed at Live Earth Japan on July 7, 2007.[41] The band recently finished touring on their fourth Projekt Revolution tour.[42]

Style

Both Hybrid Theory and Meteora intertwined the nu metal and rap rock sound with influences and elements from industrial rock, synth rock, electronica, and drum and bass, utilizing programming and synthesizers. All Music Guide regarded it as "a Johnny-come-lately to an already overdone musical style,"[43] whereas Rolling Stone called "Breaking the Habit" "risky, beautiful art."[44]

In Minutes to Midnight the band experiments with their established sound and sees them drawing influences from a wider and more varied range of genres and styles, a process Los Angeles Times compares to a stage in U2's work. [45] In it, only two of the songs feature rapping. It also is their first studio album to feature guitar solos and to feature Mike Shinoda's singing, rather than rapping.

Linkin Park's use of two separate vocalists has become a large part of their music. Chester Bennington is most known for using growling and screaming vocals common in various forms of metal, while also using more melodic singing, and has placed 46th in Hit Paraders list of "Heavy Metal's All-Time Top 100 Vocalists".[2] Mike Shinoda is the group's MC, and does all of the rapping. Mike has also done all of the backing vocals live, and in their latest album, Minutes to Midnight, he sings lead vocals on three songs: In Between, Hands Held High, and the b-side No Roads Left. Shinoda has also been placed in Hit Paraders list of "Heavy Metal's All-Time Top 100 Vocalists" at 72.

Albums and EPs

* Xero Sampler Tape (1997)
* Hybrid Theory EP (1999)
* Hybrid Theory (2000)
* Reanimation (2002)
* Meteora (2003)
* Collision Course (with Jay-Z) (2004)
* Minutes to Midnight (2007)
silverbell86
great pick gka 10.gif wow.gif LP rockon.gif
antonis1978
I like Linking Park bro thumbsup.gif
Nice pick 10.gif
gka3000
Dec 3Rd, 2007 Tone Of The Day - Monday - Rock - This Weeks Entry

Call Me When You're Sober By Evanescence

user posted image

Evanescence

Evanescence is a Grammy Award-winning American alternative rock band founded in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1998 by singer Amy Lee and former guitarist Ben Moody.[1] After recording two private EPs, and a demo CD named Origin with the help of Bigwig Enterprises, the band released their first full-length album, Fallen, on the Wind-up Records label in 2003. Fallen sold more than 15 million copies worldwide and helped the band win two Grammy Awards.[2] After abrupt changes to the band's lineup, Evanescence released their second studio album, The Open Door, in 2006.

Early history

Evanescence was founded by singer, pianist and songwriter Amy Lee and former lead guitarist and songwriter Ben Moody. The two met in 1994 at a youth camp in Little Rock, Arkansas, where Moody heard Lee playing "I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)" by Meat Loaf on the piano.[3] Their first songs were "Solitude" and "Give Unto Me", written by Lee, and "Understanding" and "My Immortal", written by Moody. The songs were edited by both artists, and they shared equal credit.

Two of Lee and Moody's songs found playtime on local radio stations, raising local awareness of the group and demand for a show. The band eventually appeared live, and became one of the most popular acts in the area. After experimenting with band names, such as Childish Intentions and Stricken, they decided on Evanescence, which means "disappearance" or "fading away" (from the word evanesce, which means "to disappear"). Lee has stated she loves the name because "it is mysterious and dark, and places a picture in the listeners' mind."[4][5]

Their first full-length demo CD, Origin (released in 2000), is relatively unknown. The band also released two Extended plays (EPs). First, the self-titled Evanescence EP (1998) of which about 100 copies were made, and second the Sound Asleep EP, also known as the Whisper EP (1999), limited to 50 copies. Origin and the EPs contain demo versions of some of the songs on their debut album, Fallen. For example, the recording of "My Immortal" found on Fallen can also be found on Origin, minus a handful of additional string accompaniments. Only 2500 copies of this record were produced; in response, Lee and Moody encouraged fans to download the band's older songs from the Internet.[6][7]

Fallen

In early 2003, the lineup was completed by Amy Lee and Ben Moody's friends, John LeCompt, Rocky Gray and Will Boyd, all of whom worked on Evanescence's earlier songs. Meanwhile, Evanescence signed on with their first major label, Wind-up Records, and began work on their next album, Fallen. While they were looking to promote Fallen, Evanescence accepted an offer from the video game company Nintendo to perform on the "Nintendo Fusion Tour" which they headlined in 2003.[8]

Fallen spent 43 weeks on the Billboard Top 10;[9] has been certified 6x Platinum;[10] and has sold more than 15 million copies worldwide,[2] including 6.6 million in the United States.[11] The album was listed for 104 weeks on the Billboard top 200, and it was one of eight albums in the history of the chart to spend at least a year on the Billboard Top 50.[11]

Evanescence's major label debut single "Bring Me to Life", which features guest vocals from Paul McCoy of 12 Stones, was a global hit for the band and reached #5 on the American Billboard Hot 100.[12] It provided Evanescence with their first UK #1 listing,[13] where it stayed for four weeks from June-July 2003. The song also became the official theme for WWE No Way Out 2003. The equally popular "My Immortal" peaked at #7 in the U.S. and UK charts,[12] and both songs were featured in the soundtrack for the action movie Daredevil. "Bring Me to Life" garnered recognition for the band at the 46th Grammy Awards in 2004, where they won the Best Hard Rock Performance and Best New Artist awards and were nominated for two others.[14] The two other singles off Fallen are "Going Under" (#5 U.S. Modern Rock Tracks,[12] #8 UK Charts) and "Everybody's Fool" (#36 U.S. Modern Rock Tracks,[12] #23 UK Charts); all were promoted by a music video.

Anywhere but Home

In 2004, Evanescence's new lineup released a DVD/CD compilation entitled Anywhere but Home. The DVD includes a concert in Paris, as well as behind-the-scenes features, including shots of the band backstage, signing autographs, and warming up. The CD contains a previously unreleased song entitled "Missing", which was internationally released as a single and reached #1 in Spain. Also on the CD are the live songs "Breathe No More" (from the Elektra movie soundtrack), "Farther Away", and the band's cover of Korn's "Thoughtless".

The Open Door

To promote the band's second album, The Open Door, Amy Lee and John LeCompt visited cities in Europe including London, England on September 6, 2006; Barcelona, Spain on September 8, 2006; and Paris, France on Monday, September 11, 2006. At the previews, the new album was played to fans who won various competitions, Lee and LeCompt answered questions and performed acoustic versions of songs from the album before signing autographs. On October 2, 2006, the day before the album was released in the United States, Evanescence appeared on Late Night with Conan O'Brien and performed the song "Call Me When You're Sober". The band also spent time in New York City for press and a photo shoot for Metal Edge magazine.[15]

The 13-track album was released in Canada and the United States on October 3, 2006;[9] the United Kingdom on October 2, 2006; and Australia on September 30, 2006.[16] The album sold 447,000 copies in the United States in its first week of sales and earned their first #1 ranking on the Billboard 200 album chart, becoming the 700th #1 album in Billboard since the chart became a weekly feature in 1956.

The album progressed slowly for several reasons, including Amy Lee's desire to maximize the creative process and not rush production, other band members' side projects, guitarist Terry Balsamo's stroke, and the loss of their former manager.[17] Although Lee stated on the fan forum Evboard that Evanescence's new album would be completed in March 2006,[18] the release was pushed to October 3, 2006, allegedly because "Wind-up Records...wanted to make a few changes to the upcoming single "Call Me When You're Sober", which hit modern rock and alternative rock radio on August 7, 2006.[19] The music video for "Call Me When You're Sober" was shot in Los Angeles and is based on the fairy tale Little Red Riding Hood. The Open Door became available for pre-order on the iTunes Store on August 15, 2006; the music video for "Call Me When You're Sober" was also made available.

Lee claimed that she wrote a song for the 2005 film The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but that it was rejected due to its dark sound. Lee went on to state that it was just "more great stuff for [The Open Door]".[20] Another song supposedly written for Narnia was the Mozart-inspired "Lacrymosa".[15] The producers of Narnia, however, refuted her claim, stating this information was "news to them" and that no Evanescence music had been planned for inclusion in the soundtrack.[21]

The tour for The Open Door began on October 5, 2006 in Toronto and included locations in Canada, the U.S. and Europe during that year. This first tour continued on January 5, 2007 and included stops in Canada (alongside band Stone Sour), Japan and Australia (alongside band Shihad) and then returned to the U.S. for a second tour in the spring (alongside bands Chevelle and Finger Eleven).[22][23] As part of their tour, Evanescence performed on April 15, 2007 on the Argentinan festival Quilmes Rock 07 along with Aerosmith, Velvet Revolver and other local bands.[24] They also co-headlined on the Family Values Tour 2007 along with Korn and other bands.[25][26] The group closed their European tour with a sell-out concert at the Amphi in Ra'anana, Israel, on June 26, 2007[27].

Lineup changes

, Moody left the band during the European tour for Fallen, reportedly because of creative differences.[28][29] In an interview several months later, Amy Lee said: "...we'd gotten to a point that if something didn't change, we wouldn't have been able to make a second record." This became a point of confusion for some people, as Moody and Lee stated on the Fallen album liner notes that they were best friends.[30] Since then, Lee has said it was almost a relief that he left because of tensions created within the band.[30] Moody was replaced by Terry Balsamo from Cold.[31]

On July 14, 2006, it was confirmed by a spokesperson for the band's label that bassist Will Boyd had left the band for "not wanting to do another big tour" and wanting "to be close to his family." Amy Lee originally broke the news to the fans in a post on an unofficial Evanescence site, EvBoard.com.[32] In an interview with MTV, posted on their website on August 10, 2006, Lee announced that Tim McCord, former Revolution Smile guitarist, would switch instruments and play bass for the band.[33]

On May 4, 2007, John LeCompt announced that he had been fired from Evanescence, and also stated that drummer Rocky Gray had decided to quit.[34] On his MySpace blog, LeCompt stated that Lee called his cellphone to fire him, and that no warning had previously been given nor were any negotiations made available.[35] Gray later released a statement on his MySpace stating that he was served a gag order by label Wind-up which prevents him from discussing the reasons for his departure from the band.[36] On the band's official website, Lee wrote that the band was still alive and that no tour events had been canceled or changed.[37]

On May 17, 2007, Wind-up issued a press release stating that two Dark New Day members, drummer Will Hunt and guitarist Troy McLawhorn, would be joining the band to replace LeCompt and Gray.[38] However, Lee wrote on the EvThreads.com forum that "We're just borrowing Will and Troy for a while" and that they would not be leaving Dark New Day.[39] It was initially stated that Hunt and McLawhorn would tour with Evanescence until the end of the Family Values Tour in September 2007.[40] As of October 2007, however, both continue to play with the band.

Labeling controversy

Originally promoted in Christian stores, the band eventually made it clear they did not want to be considered as part of the Christian rock genre. Wind-up Records chairman Alan Meltzer issued a press release in April 2003 asking for the band's music to be removed from Christian retail outlets.[41]

During a 2003 interview with Entertainment Weekly, Ben Moody stated, "We're actually high on the Christian charts, and I'm like, What the f--k are we even doing there?"[42] This seemed to go against earlier sentiments by Moody that "We hope to express in our music that Christianity is not a rigid list of rules to follow..." and also "The message we as a band want to convey more than anything is simple—God is Love."[43] This has led to criticism of the band within the Christian community, even more so given that the band themselves approved of the plan to distribute Fallen to the Christian market.[44] Terry Hemmings, CEO of Christian music distributor Provident, expressed puzzlement at the band's about-face, saying "They clearly understood the album would be sold in these [Christian music] channels."[45] In the wake of the controversy, "Bring Me To Life" was dropped by many Christian radio stations; the song was Top 5 on Radio & Records' Christian Rock Top 30 one week, and completely gone the next. Ex-vocalist and keyboardist David Hodges eventually left the band over the controversy, with other members stating that he had been pulling them in more of a Christian direction than Lee and Moody were comfortable with.

When asked by Billboard in 2006 if Evanescence was a "Christian band," Amy Lee responded, "Can we please skip the Christian thing? I'm so over it. It's the lamest thing. I fought that from the beginning; I never wanted to be associated with it. It was a Ben thing. It's over."[46]

References in other media

* In American military sci-fi author John Ringo's novel Cally's War, Evanescence and their debut album Fallen are mentioned twice, along with a brief consideration of writing styles and the impact the album had on youth in 2003.
* Professional wrestler Christian Cage's theme song is an instrumental version of "My Last Breath" by Evanescence covered by Dale Oliver entitled "Take Over". It is featured on the 3rd Degree Burns album.
* In the Gilmore Girls episode "The Lorelais' First Day at Yale", Lorelai says "Bring some music, but if it's Evanescence, you will be severely mocked."

Band members

Current

* Amy Lee – lead vocals, piano, keyboard (co-founder, 1998–present)
* Terry Balsamo – guitar (November 16, 2003–present)
* Tim McCord – bass guitar (August 10, 2006–present)

Touring

* Troy McLawhorn – guitar (May 17, 2007–present)
* Will Hunt – drums (May 17, 2007–present)

Former

* Will Boyd – bass guitar (June 2003–July 14, 2006)
* Rocky Gray – drums (2002–May 4, 2007)
* David Hodges – keyboard, piano, backing vocals (1999–December 19, 2002)
* John LeCompt – guitar, vocals on live "Bring Me to Life" performances(2002–May 4, 2007)
* Ben Moody – lead guitar (co-founder, 1998–October 22, 2003)

ahodarkar
brilliant choice....the only good song from that album clap.gif
gka3000
QUOTE(ahodarkar @ Dec 3 2007, 03:01 AM)
brilliant choice....the only good song from that album clap.gif
[right][snapback]448210[/snapback][/right]

thankyou bro i also like there older albums than new albums " fallen "

which was released in 2003 was a masterpiece ... anyway they

still got the talent and the fans ...

10.gif
ahodarkar
i loved fallen...but the success was more because of ben moody...amy lee was just a singer...he was the backbone of evan....the outcome was obvious in open door

firin moody from evan was a catastrophe....kinda like wat wud happen to linkin park if they fire mike shinoda and joe han

and now amy has even lost the other two dudes(dunno their names)...its a downward spiral accordin to me...but yes call me wen ur sober mite just be last ever good song from evan thumbsup.gif
gka3000
QUOTE(ahodarkar @ Dec 3 2007, 04:43 AM)
i loved fallen...but the success was more because of ben moody...amy lee was just a singer...he was the backbone of evan....the outcome was obvious in open door

firin moody from evan was a catastrophe....kinda like wat wud happen to linkin park if they fire mike shinoda and joe han

and now amy has even lost the other two dudes(dunno their names)...its a downward spiral accordin to me...but yes call me wen ur sober mite just be last ever good song from evan thumbsup.gif
[right][snapback]448267[/snapback][/right]

bro do u feel anything strange in the minutes to midnight (2007) album by lp ? ...

its also a bit out of style from the lp albums we have heard before ...

also i dont hear much rap by mike shinoda in that album ...

but i gotta say there are some really kool tunes in that album

like " what ive done " & " in between " and some other songs those

took my breath away ...

10.gif
ahodarkar
they thot they wud get typecast probably....so they moved from nu metal to a more "pop"ish genre....was nice but not half as good as hybrid theory!! sad.gif
shinoda cud not have done much in pop songs....he has done nicely in bleed it out and hands held high...those 2 are my favs from m2m....wat was strikin that there wasn a single song wit han solo....like lp instrumental or cure for the itch
silverbell86
sounds cool! rockon.gif clap.gif
i haven't listen that album so i can't tell you my opinion but i agree that "Fallen" was really really great walkman.gif
gka what does those [numbers] means? tongue.gif wink.gif
gka3000
QUOTE(silverbell86 @ Dec 3 2007, 03:24 PM)
sounds cool! rockon.gif  clap.gif

i haven't listen that album so i can't tell you my opinion but

i agree that "Fallen" was really really great walkman.gif

gka what does those [numbers] means? tongue.gif wink.gif
[right][snapback]448490[/snapback][/right]

the numbers sis oh yes he he he ... tongue.gif

i didnt type all that by my own ... tongue.gif

i took that bio from a web site so those are the numbers

of related web pages (links) ... laugh.gif
silverbell86
QUOTE(gka3000 @ Dec 4 2007, 03:23 AM)

the numbers sis oh yes he he he ...  tongue.gif

i didnt type all that by my own ...  tongue.gif

i took that bio from a web site so those are the numbers

of related web pages (links) ...  laugh.gif
[right][snapback]448535[/snapback][/right]

now i understand haha.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.