Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sony Ericsson Theme - Highlights, Theme Creator
mobile9 Forum > ThemeMaking > Chat, Tutorials & Resources > Tutorials
Pages: 1, 2
Tyronne
Tutorial for SE theme Creator.

This tutorial only tackles about the basics in SE theme Creator. Other tutorial such as how to make bars, highlights and titles in SE Theme Creator will be tackled in the second post.

To start: First of all, you need the Sony Ericsson Theme Creator. Download it here: SE Theme Creator Download

When you open SE Theme Creator, it will lead you to a window where you can see all the SE phone models.
user posted image
Choose your phone model. Scroll down to see other phone models. For this tutorial, we will use K800.

This will be the look of the main screen:
user posted image

Here you can drag and drop images. Just be sure to match the sizes written in boxes in SE Theme Creator. The one shown in the image is the Standby screen. after you're done with the standby screen, you can go to desktop, navigation, etc. drag and drop images or just click the import button and select the image you want. It's pretty much that easy. After you're done with everything, click the preview button to see the theme preview of course.

Now, with the coloring.. Sometimes, even if you finished putting images to all the screens and applying colors. Your theme can't be save for reason that it has this error.
user posted image
It just means that a color overlaps a same color marked by x in the picture shown. try to avoid colors that will overlap the same color. Basically, use a different color for your text and the background of that text. You can not see the background color when the "show images" is checked. so basically, to avoid errors like the in the picture above, uncheck the "show images" found beside the Preview button on the upper right corner of the screen and check for overlapping same colors. or search for "x" marks and change those colors.

After doing all, just save your theme. hook a cable to your phone and enjoy your theme. smile.gif
I really don't know if this tutorial is helpful. hehe.
That's it. Pretty easy huh? then let's start doing some highlights and bars.
Tyronne
Softkey Tutorial for Beginners

This tutorial mainly focuses on creating Basic softkeys for your Sony Ericsson themes.

From this tutorial, you can also get the idea on how to create bars and highlights too because it uses the

same concept.

First of all, you need an image editing software like Adobe Photoshop. In this tutorial, i will be using

Adobe Photoshop 7.0. it is almost identical to Photoshop CS2. so anyone using CS2 will find this tutorial

useful.
Also, obviously, you need the SE theme Creator. download link:

SE Theme Creator Download

Let's Start:In this tutorial, i will be dealing with K800 softkey. k800 softkeys size is 240x30. Open a new

document

with the size of 240x30 pixels with a transparent background.
user posted image

Now, right-click the rectangle tool found in your toolbar and select rounded rectangle tool.
user posted image
and make sure to have this settings first.

user posted image

Select a color of your choice. mine is blue. zoom in to about 300% (press ctrl+ + twice)
Trace your cursor to look much alike in the picture.

user posted image
and the result will be much like this.

user posted image

Right after this, you can either 1.) Select a preset type of style to make the plain blue rounded rectangle a

bit glamorous, or 2.) create your own style to make the softkey glamorous.

1st Option: Preset type
--Right click and select blending options. select styles. and choose whatever you like that you think will

look nice in your theme. I selected Brushed Metal.
user posted image
and the finished product looks like this when zoomed out to 100%
user posted image
Notice that the blue color we chose didn't matter. I will explain in 2nd option why the blue color didn't

exist in the final image.

or 2nd Option: Create your own style
--right click and select blending options. select style and choose anything you like. Let's use Brushed

Metal again. But before you click "OK", let's uncheck the Pattern overlay and check Texture under Bevel

and Emboss .
user posted image
Under the Texture category, change the pattern to "Optical Squares" as the same image shown below.

change the scale to 25%. and click Ok.
user posted image
The final result should be something like this:
user posted image

Notice that it has the blue color we pick. the reason that the blue color was absent on 1st option is

because of the pattern overlay which resembles the brushed metal. since i uncheck it and put textures

instead, the blue color is visible but now, with optical square texture.

Noticeably, you can create many softkey images through the use of blending options. Just experiment and

see what you can do.

IMPORTANT: always save your work in png format to retain its quality. and to retain the

transparency of the background. if you save your work in jpg or bmp, the transparent background will

change into white.

For the results, Let's see how our two softkeys look in SE theme Creator:

1st Option:
user posted image

2nd Option:
user posted image

TIPS: the above tutorial is just the BASIC of creating softkeys, highlights and title bars.

always experiment with blending options. try to check and uncheck all the options and see what happens. it will give you an idea on how each option works. it will give you so much good results. try to vary your softkey

shapes not just to rounded rectangles, you can use rectangles, or custom shapes. Just remember that

functionality comes first. When you use to creating this basic softkeys, you can now experiment to add

frames and borders, etc. and you should learn "Layering".

That's it. I think... tongue.gif
ssivic
Very nice...thanks Tyrone....maybe I will think of making themes....! laugh.gif
wildpalms
thank you for this tutorial. it is very helpful clap.gif
bj1605
This goes well with Doc's theming tips for begginers that have photoshop instead of psp
Batusai5
i wished there is a program tat can transfer bigger theme res to smaller themes res.... haiz..
Batusai5
i wished there is a program tat can transfer bigger theme res to smaller themes res.... haiz..

i have 176x220 themes but i wan then in 128x160 res..
michael5472
Wow thanks there is so much more i can do smile.gif
your_mother
Is there any way to change the icons for a theme??
JAIR32
[COLOR=blue][SIZE=14][FONT=Impact] Any probelm with the themes creator, you can contact ne; my account is crawlink<email snipped>.com
xD
your_mother
QUOTE(JAIR32 @ Jan 13 2008, 01:06 PM)
[COLOR=blue][SIZE=14][FONT=Impact] Any probelm with the themes creator, you can contact ne; my account is crawlink<email snipped>.com
xD
[right][snapback]463567[/snapback][/right]

WOW! I don't get anything! :-))
That looks more like HTML Code to me...? Well, I'll try to find out more and ask again when I can be more specific with my questions...
Thanx!!
komalash
I made a theme for my K750i fone..n when i tranferred it to my fone it got aved in the 'other' folder...why is dat???did i do sumthing rong?
Reply asap..!Thnx
Niyaz_14_k610i_2k8
As your saying that'll you need ADOBE, well i cannot use it for a reason so can someone just send me a softkey as i am an noob in this kind of stuff.
Thanks PM me if your going to help me or post it here, it'll help alot, thanks.
Liccle-Loz18
Hello . I need help because i have tryed to download the theme creator and it wont download can u help me surrender.gif
antonis1978
QUOTE(Liccle-Loz18 @ Feb 16 2008, 10:00 PM)
Hello . I need help because i have tryed to download the theme creator and it wont download can u help me  surrender.gif
[right][snapback]475103[/snapback][/right]

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Sony...load-16868.html
Fubbz
nice tutorial. thx for the efforts
fffrankthetankkk
QUOTE(antonis1978 @ Feb 16 2008, 01:20 PM)
QUOTE(Liccle-Loz18 @ Feb 16 2008, 10:00 PM)
Hello . I need help because i have tryed to download the theme creator and it wont download can u help meĀ   surrender.gif
[right][snapback]475103[/snapback][/right]

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Sony...load-16868.html
[right][snapback]475106[/snapback][/right]

thanks dude that link helped me too thumbsup.gif
CallidusMacedonian
I've got a question...when I create a theme,how can I make screenshots? (as the ones let's say in the Completed Requests forum)
Examples
vinnieza
How to make screenshots:

http://www.skorpan.dk/tut/preview/preview.html

thumbsup.gif
CallidusMacedonian
Very helpful.Thanks smile.gif
akash_mihir84

clap.gif

GR9 MAN GR9
obed_james
Thanka for the tutorial notworthy.gif clap.gif
It was really helpful. 10.gif clap.gif
solankiankit16
thanks
solankiankit16
using the tutorials I made some thm.
not very good but atleast started. by practice i think i will get better.......
thanks again wub.gif mf_type.gif
zumar1111
I USE GIMP.CAN ANY1 HELP ME MAKE SOFTKEYS AND HIGHLIGHTS WITH IT.I WOULD B VERY THANKFUL byebye.gif
mohammed_intekhab
QUOTE(zumar1111 @ Sep 13 2008, 09:24 PM)
I USE GIMP.CAN ANY1 HELP ME MAKE SOFTKEYS AND HIGHLIGHTS WITH IT.I WOULD B VERY THANKFUL byebye.gif
[right][snapback]517614[/snapback][/right]

See if it help you ..
http://www.mobile9.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=32771
zumar1111
I DIDNT FIND ANYTHING REGARDING MAKING SOFTKEYS AND HIGHLIGHTS IN THIS LINK MI.CAN ANY1 HELP ME WITH GIMP PLZ
Atalantos
This might help you http://www.gimp-tutorials.com/category/Gim...ttons-10-1.html thumbsup.gif
mohammed_intekhab
QUOTE(Atalantos @ Sep 14 2008, 04:53 PM)
This might help you http://www.gimp-tutorials.com/category/Gim...ttons-10-1.html thumbsup.gif
[right][snapback]517731[/snapback][/right]

Good work atlantos smile.gif
clap.gif clap.gif
drtyhnds
nice tutorials very help full
zumar1111
THANX A LOT ATLANTOS.COULD U HELP ME WITH TRANSPARENT HIGHLIGHTS PLZ
zumar1111
THANX A LOT ATLANTOS.COULD U HELP ME WITH TRANSPARENT HIGHLIGHTS PLZ
Atalantos
When prompted to create a new image in GIMP, set the "Fill With" Property as "Transparency" wink.gif
and then play with the Opacity of the layer you want to be transparent and save the result only in .png format byebye.gif
zumar1111
THANX DUDE
zumar1111
SOME MORE QUESTIONS.HOW 2 SPLIT A SOFTKEY INTO 2 PARTS AND CREATE A TRANSPARENCY BETWEEN THE 2.HOW 2 CREATE AN IMAGE IN BETWEEN A SOFTKEY.EXAMPLE,A VISTA LOGO IN A VISTA THEME.HOW 2 CLEAR BACKGROUND OF A PICTURE AND MAKE IT TRANSPARENT.
zumar1111
SOME MORE QUESTIONS.HOW 2 SPLIT A SOFTKEY INTO 2 PARTS AND CREATE A TRANSPARENCY BETWEEN THE 2.HOW 2 CREATE AN IMAGE IN BETWEEN A SOFTKEY.EXAMPLE,A VISTA LOGO IN A VISTA THEME.HOW 2 CLEAR BACKGROUND OF A PICTURE AND MAKE IT TRANSPARENT. surrender.gif
Atalantos
1st of all the capitals are against the rules.gif wink.gif

Actually I don't use GIMP. I have used it for a very short time long time ago sleep.gif

HOW 2 SPLIT A SOFTKEY INTO 2 PARTS AND CREATE A TRANSPARENCY BETWEEN THE 2

Here is a tip... you don't have to split the softkey because
1. you can make the half of it
2. copy it and paste it in a different layer
3.1 move it at the opposite site and there, now you have 2 parts wink.gif
3.2 if you leave a space between them in a transparent layer... you have also a transparency between them smile.gif
HOW 2 CREATE AN IMAGE IN BETWEEN A SOFTKEY.EXAMPLE,A VISTA LOGO IN A VISTA THEME

just copy the logo or whatever you want to... and paste it in a different layer and place it above the softkey layer so that it can be visible wink.gif
HOW 2 CLEAR BACKGROUND OF A PICTURE AND MAKE IT TRANSPARENT

This you can see it here ---> link <--- byebye.gif
zumar1111
Thanxxxxxx
Atalantos
You're welcome byebye.gif grouphug.gif
sob_henry
please help me how to download themes,games and another else program in my mobile
-Flash-
QUOTE(Tyronne @ May 14 2007, 01:13 AM)
Softkey Tutorial for Beginners

This tutorial mainly focuses on creating Basic softkeys for your Sony Ericsson themes.

From this tutorial, you can also get the idea on how to create bars and highlights too because it uses the

same concept.

First of all, you need an image editing software like Adobe Photoshop. In this tutorial, i will be using

Adobe Photoshop 7.0. it is almost identical to Photoshop CS2. so anyone using CS2 will find this tutorial

useful.
Also, obviously, you need the SE theme Creator. download link:

SE Theme Creator Download

Let's Start:In this tutorial, i will be dealing with K800 softkey. k800 softkeys size is 240x30. Open a new

document

with the size of 240x30 pixels with a transparent background.
user posted image

Now, right-click the rectangle tool found in your toolbar and select rounded rectangle tool.
user posted image
and make sure to have this settings first.

user posted image

Select a color of your choice. mine is blue. zoom in to about 300% (press ctrl+ + twice)
Trace your cursor to look much alike in the picture.

user posted image
and the result will be much like this.

user posted image

Right after this, you can either 1.) Select a preset type of style to make the plain blue rounded rectangle a

bit glamorous, or 2.) create your own style to make the softkey glamorous.

1st Option: Preset type
--Right click and select blending options. select styles. and choose whatever you like that you think will

look nice in your theme. I selected Brushed Metal.
user posted image
and the finished product looks like this when zoomed out to 100%
user posted image
Notice that the blue color we chose didn't matter. I will explain in 2nd option why the blue color didn't

exist in the final image.

or 2nd Option: Create your own style
--right click  and select blending options. select style and choose anything you like. Let's use Brushed

Metal again. But before you click "OK", let's uncheck the Pattern overlay and check Texture under Bevel

and Emboss .
user posted image
Under the Texture category, change the pattern to "Optical Squares" as the same image shown below.

change the scale to 25%. and click Ok.
user posted image
The final result should be something like this:
user posted image

Notice that it has the blue color we pick. the reason that the blue color was absent on 1st option is

because of the pattern overlay which resembles the brushed metal. since i uncheck it and put textures

instead, the blue color is visible but now, with optical square texture.

Noticeably, you can create many softkey images through the use of blending options. Just experiment and

see what you can do.

IMPORTANT: always save your work in png format to retain its quality. and to retain the

transparency of the background. if you save your work in jpg or bmp, the transparent background will

change into white.

For the results, Let's see how our two softkeys look in SE theme Creator:

1st Option:
user posted image

2nd Option:
user posted image

TIPS: the above tutorial is just the BASIC of creating softkeys, highlights and title bars.

always experiment with blending options. try to check and uncheck all the options and see what happens. it will give you an idea on how each option works. it will give you so much good results. try to vary your softkey

shapes not just to rounded rectangles, you can use rectangles, or custom shapes. Just remember that

functionality comes first. When you use to creating this basic softkeys, you can now experiment to add

frames and borders, etc. and you should learn "Layering".

That's it. I think... tongue.gif
[right][snapback]329552[/snapback][/right]

Thanks A lot for this ive just started making themes and it really helps.
nophex
Hey, how about to change the icon??

please give me the way to change the icon on themes.
Atalantos
Welcome nophex to grouphug.gif

for which brand you want to change the icons unsure.gif
sam1374
really nice lessons
ntinii
just needed some help ... i hv created some wallpapers with gif but i cant use them in the SE creator. is there any restriction to it?

this is one of it ... http://gallery.mobile9.com/f/721834/

Thanks in advance ...
jeator
You're a GOD notworthy.gif : notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif I have download it and I am trying it. 10.gif 10.gif
Atalantos
QUOTE (ntinii @ Apr 13 2009, 12:07 PM) *
just needed some help ... i hv created some wallpapers with gif but i cant use them in the SE creator. is there any restriction to it?

this is one of it ... http://gallery.mobile9.com/f/721834/

Thanks in advance ...

SE Theme Creator supports gif files, but "animated" gif files are visible only on standby and highlights wink.gif
hope this will help you byebye.gif
abhisuper
can u help me? whenever i create themes the wording for the walkman player does not show up. how to fix?
Emina35
ooowwwww man, that's really useful........ clap.gif
thank's bro....... grouphug.gif
johnnyl
hi. could someone please tell me how to make the more list transparent? i have tried with no image or with a transparent empty image but still nothing.
i get something like this:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x291/lu...tc/untitled.jpg

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.