Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do You Ever Switch Off Your Phone?
mobile9 Forum > Mobile Phone > Polls
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
ArthurWill
Tomi suggests that mobile phone is the first always-on mass media. Research shown that 7 out of 10 people sleep with the phone within arm's reach.

I find this rather interesting, come to think of it I never had my mobile turned off as well. ohmy.gif Well, unless it runs out of power, but thats another question.

Question of the day is: Do you ever switch off your phone, manually?

If yes, why? Let the gathering.gif begins shall we?
adonisdemon
In the last few months i've switched it off a few times, but mainly to change sim cards and stuff, but once because it was playing up.

It's always arm's length away when I sleep, so I can turn the snooze on without having to get up tongue.gif
ArthurWill
It's always arm's length away when I sleep, so I can turn the snooze on without having to get up

laugh.gif Thats exactly the reason why I always put my phone away.

Having to walk before reaching the phone (which acts as alarm) prevent me from getting back to the bed again. tongue.gif

Do you ever switch off your phone, manually?

No. Unless it requires a soft reset, and that happens at least once a month for a heavy use pocket pc. 1.gif
EchoZulu
As you guys said, the only time my phone is off is for a few seconds while I'm rebooting it. Thanks to call managers, it doesn't even wake me up with calls in the middle of the night anymore either - unless the caller is on my white list of course... smile.gif
ssivic
Realy freaky question, makes me think of me as some kind of addict for mobiles ( I have 3 mobiles)!?!?!?

Well I allways put my phone on the little table right top my bed, and about turning it off NEVER, unless it want work so I have to restart it...

shoutout
switch mine of after 8 pm ever day but it doent help house phone then start to ring doh
itchy11jr
I Turn my phone off 1 time a week ( cingular reps tell me it helps keep the phone up to date, I think is crap but I got into a habit of doing it). I also keep my phone next to my bed (arms length) on My multi phone charging station. It works great and doesn't cost very much.
thomas_sweden
I agree with arthurs post 100 %

if I need to get up early(which I need monday-friday because of school wallbash.gif) I use the mobile and I place it as long away as I can(just to be up and running) laugh.gif
vinnieza
It's always on unless i do a restart on it. It never runs outta battery cause i always put it in it's cradle when i get home.

The only reason i won't respond straight a way is either i have no reception (orange is poor where i live). It's upstairs in the pc desktop charger thingy and i'm downstairs (i don't get a reception downstairs anyway) or i'm busy or at work.

My room and the PC is not in the same room so it's not next to me at night, but it would be if i was on holiday or i needed the alarm for example. It's always on silent though, i need it on silent for college, but i turn silent off when i go out and weekends
ArthurWill
QUOTE( Shoutout)
switch mine of after 8 pm ever day

For any specific reason? blink.gif

QUOTE( itchy11jr)
I also keep my phone next to my bed (arms length) on My multi phone charging station. It works great and doesn't cost very much.

The charging station looks neat. You should see my electronic charging place. It is a mess. tongue.gif
luisleal
I have a Nokia 6280 and in six months i only switched off twice, 1st before entering in the aerocraft to come from Portugal to Australia and the other to change the SIM cards.
Im available 24/7... dots.gif

LuisLeal

cheers.gif
boxieblue
i switch it off once in a while, but then again, its only bcoz i dun want to talk to anybody surrender.gif
RazBGD
since 1995. ive svitched it off only few times when i was in the plane...freaky... laugh.gif sometimes i try to remember-how the hell did we live before mobiles appeared?!
ssivic
@razbgd
And this was youst a 12 years ago when first DANCAL Logic comed to my country...
sexysaraz2
I hardly ever switch mine off, I have had my phone about six months and would say I have only shut it off twice manually. My phone is also always within my reach especially at night so if there is any emergency I can reach right over to answer it. wacko.gif
RazBGD
@sivi-a bre? blink.gif smile.gif
goronking
ever since i got my phone it has never been turned off. also it is within arms reach when i go to sleep

DtJ
BlkDragonone
Only shut mine off in Hospitals or on airplanes. Sometimes I wish I could lose it if even only for a minute but, it may as well be surgically implanted.
ssivic
@razbgd
Nadovezao sam se na tebe kad si rekao kako smo zivjeli kad nije bilo mobitela, pa kazem da prije 12 ili malo vise godina su dosli prvi mobiteli!

I was comenting your post about how did we live before mobiles! So I say that first mobiles comed to my country not so far away as we think...
l3lanlc
Am i the only one who turns the phone off, puts it on the other side of the room when sleeping then?

I thought everyone would do that, why would you want someone awaking you whilst you sleep with a dodgy text?

Just must be me, but i will turn phone off if i dont want to be disturbed, so during films etc..

vinnieza
I think shoutout als does the same

My friends won't contact me at night unless it was important so i'm in no danger of getting a call at night unless it's important in which i'd wanna pick up smile.gif (well they may if in a group but then the chances are i'd be with them anyway tongue.gif).

I do get texts from orange at 7am in the mornings though, but i'm usually up due to work or college so no worries about that. No other spam as i'm x-directory.

I do switch my phone of when on a plane though.
adonisdemon
I thought everyone would do that, why would you want someone awaking you whilst you sleep with a dodgy text?

There are plenty of reasons! devil2.gif
RazBGD
QUOTE(ssivic @ Mar 7 2007, 08:59 AM)
@razbgd
Nadovezao sam se na tebe kad si rekao kako smo zivjeli kad nije bilo mobitela, pa kazem da prije 12 ili malo vise godina su dosli prvi mobiteli!

I was comenting your post about how did we live before mobiles! So I say that first mobiles comed to my country not so far away as we think...
[right][snapback]293231[/snapback][/right]

prvi mobilni su u Srbiju dosli `92. godine.tada su bili privilegija za funkcionere.u upotrebu za narodne mase su usli negde izmedju zime `93. i proleca `94...ali moras shvatiti da je mene vec poceo da hvata klimaks,skleroza,itd...a ko ti ono bese? tongue.gif laugh.gif
first mobiles came to Serbia in `92.back then they were for governement officials only.commercial use started somewhere between winter `93. and spring `94...but u must understand that im near my climax,already suffering from first symptoms of sclerosis,etc..btw-cant remember-who ru? tongue.gif laugh.gif
anthomeyer
Question of the day is: Do you ever switch off your phone, manually?

No. I tend to restart my N80 after every successful recharged. Other than that, it is always ON. smile.gif

I actually use another phone, the SE K700 to serve as an alarm, so as to conserve the battery life of my N80. I can actually snooze the alarm for a couple of times every morning. wacko.gif
coolguy6415
nvr switched off my mobile ....
DeZal
Only time I switch mine off is when I'm at the cinema or in a meetig etc, otherwise it's left on, but that doesn't mean I always answer it lol.
ftcpln
I switch it off every day at 10PM till 9AM. No calls in the nite, please! smile.gif
l3lanlc
I actually find it really strange that you people dont turn off the mobile!
ArthurWill
I actually find it really strange that you people dont turn off the mobile!

Humn, why? unsure.gif

If I need to stay away from calls, a change to silent mode will do. Doing this ensure myself not to miss a single call from anyone all the time. smile.gif
technokid1974
I switch mine off when i go 2 sleep! sleepysmileyanim.gif
ssivic
well congrats to all ppl who can turn off your mobile...I have become mobile sddicted! 1.gif
Aeroe
Just like others that switches off their phones, I do too. I switch off before heading to bed. Um.. it's not like I'm gonna answer a call when I'm asleep laugh.gif if anything, they'll just have to wait until morning =P
Totogasm
I never turn off my mobile. During the night I just put it on silent mode, because I wouldn't want to wake up because of my ringtone tongue.gif

Besides, my phone also acts as my mp3 player, so I listen to music while I'm in bed at night, and turning it off would be a no-no XD
Sticky Mick
I leave mine on 24/7 as well.
Ok I respect areas where their are signs stating "Mobile Phones Must Be Switched Off"
And if I go into a bar I always look for those signs.
No point being an ignorrent git wink.gif
ladyharley
clap.gif I never turn mine off just reboot it from time to time- I went from a LG flip phone to treo 700w and its a whole lot bigger deal- still learning
chipica
funny question...I also hardly turn off my cellphone
ginock
If I have my mobile on my desk I usually turn it off at night, I don't know enough people to justify needing it on over night, if leave it in my bag after work I will very often forget to or even turn it off silent.
vegeta_sa
i dont ever turn my phone off, i just reboot it once in a while
amaway
clap.gif The only time mine goes off is if i forget to charge it wallbash.gif laugh.gif
giacjr
Yeah, mine's an arm length away from me when I sleep aswell. I rarely turn mine off unless I'm trying to preserve a tiny little bit of battery left.
hlteq
Never turn it off, just cause I have "offline" profile for a case if I don't wonna be disturbed. Totally addicted to it, even put it near while sleeping. More than that, I created personal profile, named "night", with the minimum level of ringing volume, so I would wake up even at night to pick up the phone..awful 1.gif
Mgade
i always sleep,by keeping my mobile under my pillow ..
tongue.gif

user posted image
Atalantos
ohmy.gif I didn't know that my phone had this function tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
bloodmage
I only off my phone when it needs to; when the battery is low. Actually there is a setting in the phone which allows you to block calls from certain contacts.
gka3000
well i do turn off my phone when im sleeping but in the morning i turn it on ... and if i get a miss call alert from any number i call em back ...
SKITSOfranic
QUOTE(Atalantos @ Apr 12 2007, 12:53 AM)
ohmy.gif I didn't know that my phone had this function  tongue.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif
[right][snapback]311564[/snapback][/right]

i feel the same way i have the nokia 6265i and the only time my turns off is if it's acting up or it crashes but other than that never never never ever turn my phone off not in hospitals plans trains wherever school church don't care it's always on 10.gif
StevieB
I'm the same, i would never turn it off.....except i have a nokia n80 so am forced to restart every other day due to it crashing! censored.gif
bloodmage
When going to school just turn on the silent mode sleeping.gif
aer4
QUOTE(bloodmage @ Apr 27 2007, 08:49 PM)
When going to school just turn on the silent mode  sleeping.gif
[right][snapback]321267[/snapback][/right]

yeah me2, yesterday it rings in english lesson -.- whistle.gif
yamvim
Nice topic.... but i am not with the face with the people who switch off their mobile...
From the time i have bought ,till this sec i have never seen my mobile as switched off...lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.