Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Get More Space On Your Mmc
mobile9 Forum > Mobile Phone > Accessories
shoutout
Your files in MMC are stored in multiple (disk) blocks.
So if you format using 16K block, the space used will be 16K even though your file is just 1K.

If you buy MMC, it is usually pre formatted with 16K block. Therefore alot of space is wasted as most installed program files are usually less than 2K.

You will need a card reader to do this:-

1. Connect card reader and copy all your files in the MMC to computer disk.
(Make sure you set the show all/hidden/os files to "on")
2. Do a format of the MMC using command line "format" and use the /A=size option.
Alternative, you can use the Disk Management in Adminstrative Tools to format.
Make sure you select FAT. For 256MB MMC, smallest block you can use is 4K, 128MB is 2K, 64Mb is 1K and 32MB is 512B.

(Note: You cannot use the phone "format MMC" to do this as the format just clear the allocation table and does not change the block size)

3. Copy back all files to MMC.

Now you will find that you will have more space.
256mb MMC you will get about back 30+ mbs
ssivic
This sounds cool, but is there a chance doing that on Memory Stick pro duo, size 512 MB?
shoutout
yes just do as is said works on all mmc
SKITSOfranic
thanks for that advice i have a 512 sd mini and if i ever forget the password this will be helpful but do u know of any programs that will lock files for the nokia 6265i user posted image
it's series 40v3 i hate the fact that just anyone can go in my phone and look at any thing i mean i can put a password on the memory card but the only time it asks me for a password is when i take the memory card out of the phone and put it back in again

user posted image
SKITSOfranic
does it work on sd mini cards as well
adonisdemon
it's series 40v3

I'm going to say no. As it's not a smartphone running on Symbian, UIQ or Windows Mobile, there won't be any sort of expandability on it via software.
Atalantos
Hm interesting!!!

does it work also for 2G MS pro duo?
and what is the smallest block for it if so?
Atalantos
Does it? dry.gif
adonisdemon
QUOTE(Atalantos @ Apr 30 2007, 07:59 AM)
Hm interesting!!!

does it work also for 2G MS pro duo?
and what is the smallest block for it if so?
[right][snapback]322450[/snapback][/right]

Don't see why it wouldn't?
kike14luis
i card a card reader and a 2GB mini sd i plugg it in and everything but nothing will pop up on my screen can any one help me because i lost my password
gcarl6600
QUOTE (shoutout @ Feb 6 2007, 08:43 PM) *
Your files in MMC are stored in multiple (disk) blocks.
So if you format using 16K block, the space used will be 16K even though your file is just 1K.

If you buy MMC, it is usually pre formatted with 16K block. Therefore alot of space is wasted as most installed program files are usually less than 2K.

You will need a card reader to do this:-

1. Connect card reader and copy all your files in the MMC to computer disk.
(Make sure you set the show all/hidden/os files to "on")
2. Do a format of the MMC using command line "format" and use the /A=size option.
Alternative, you can use the Disk Management in Adminstrative Tools to format.
Make sure you select FAT. For 256MB MMC, smallest block you can use is 4K, 128MB is 2K, 64Mb is 1K and 32MB is 512B.

(Note: You cannot use the phone "format MMC" to do this as the format just clear the allocation table and does not change the block size)

3. Copy back all files to MMC.

Now you will find that you will have more space.
256mb MMC you will get about back 30+ mbs

gud day, i tried to format my 256mb mmc using disk management but the smallest allocation size is 16k,there is no 4k.could you help me with it? and can u teach me what's the exact command in using the command prompt when formatting?thanks a lot!
bipul_3112
thanx...i'll try it
mohib-rameen
is it realy works? weightlift.gif
kleenex69
THANKS DUDE, I WILL TRY clap.gif
kochaji
Ok Thanx..Let me try first
al-sagban
i will try to do it
Benn900
Ki karba bhai
heart_locker
thank u......
Kennydante
NICE POST. 10.gif 10.gif 10.gif
nihalsameer12
what about 2gb cards, will they gain any space, coz i'm using a 2 gb card..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.