my first ever SE theme.. so i need comments.. unsure.gif

user posted image

softkeys:
user posted image

any suggestions or comments?
anything needed to be retouched here?
what does functionality means?
shoutout
great work kerohl notdont like the pink and gray on write new screen but apart from that 10.gif 10.gif
kerohl
QUOTE(shoutout @ Dec 14 2006, 12:45 PM)
great work kerohl notdont like the pink and gray  on write new screen but apart from that  10.gif  10.gif
[right][snapback]264008[/snapback][/right]

really? well i'll be afraid if u love the pink, lol! jus kidding.. well for me it looks good on my phone..happy.gif
tnx for the comment.. is that all the write new screen that looks bad to you?
shoutout
yup the theme looks great better than any of my sony themes
thomas_sweden
I'm not a big fan of pink, but it looks really good clap.gif good work, keep themeing smile.gif
simplyjinz
another good themer is born in grouphug.gif
keep it up gurl! thumbsup.gif
kerohl
oh really? i thot it was bad.. huhuh.. it's good to see at least some thinks it's good..happy.gif tnx for the comments guys..happy.gif i'll hope to be better soon.. thumbsup.gif
jasnasto
Looks quite good for a first theme... clap.gif... but functionality is not best of all, you should have brightened the backgrounds a bit, so the text should be readable in all areas... grouphug.gif
dr_megabyte
Agree with Jas (of course..).
You're not new to graphics, that's obvious and you've done it very well, although there are things like functionality that can be improved.

To explain functionality, read tip #1 in here:
http://www.mobile9.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=32148
adonisdemon
Nice to see another girl doing themes, nice and colourful thumbsup.gif
kerohl
tnx for the tips and comments ppl..happy.gif appreciate it a lot.. clapping.gif clapping.gif rockon.gif
kerohl
yeah i understand, its too bright.. some colors are not properly visible..happy.gif that does it for me.. tnx again jas, dr. and adonis for comment..happy.gif
kerohl
the second one..
user posted image

softkeys:
user posted image

how was i?
lazy_yu
Wow~~~~ ur second 1 is fantastic.. keep theming kerohl..... i'll keep my eyes on u hehe~~
vswindtalker
Hi Kerohl, you are doin quite well for the begining.
Two ideas if you want to consider about, first avoid busy backgrounds especially on the navigation menu, and second try to make the dimensions of all the bars inculuding select and unselect in accordance with the other bars. That means if I were you I would make the select highlight a little bit short in the height to make it fit with the tab bar.
I am sure that you will find the best way while you make more themes. To keep an eye with what Doc showed you will be very helpful I think. grouphug.gif byebye.gif
mohammed_intekhab
Hy kerohl.it nice to see your thread.

good start byebye.gif
kerohl
QUOTE(vswindtalker @ Dec 22 2006, 08:23 PM)
Hi Kerohl, you are doin quite well for the begining.
Two ideas if you want to consider about, first avoid busy backgrounds especially on the navigation menu, and second try to make the dimensions of all the bars inculuding select and unselect in accordance with the other bars. That means if I were you I would make the select highlight a little bit short in the height to make it fit with the tab bar.
I am sure that you will find the best way while you make more themes. To keep an eye with what Doc showed you will be very helpful I think. grouphug.gif  byebye.gif
[right][snapback]266733[/snapback][/right]

thnks for the tips..happy.gif i appreciate them, but i just had a hard time understanding it.. hehe.. well if u don't mind can you explain it one more time? thnks...happy.gif and what does busy background mean? and the bars select and unselect? really i appreciate it and i want to understand it all so i could make my themes more better.. wink.gif
kerohl
QUOTE(lazy_yu @ Dec 22 2006, 08:19 PM)
Wow~~~~ ur second 1 is fantastic.. keep theming kerohl..... i'll keep my eyes on u hehe~~
[right][snapback]266731[/snapback][/right]

thanks for that lazy...happy.gif

dr_megabyte
This is what vs meant:

You've put the title border directly under the selection icons and when you then make the tab highlight in its default size it overlaps the border.

I would have either made the selected tab smaller, like the red one I added to the pic, or I would have moved the title border below the title text (Answered) as the arrow suggests.

user posted image

A busy background is where there's lots happening and/or a lot of different colors. The backgrounds usually look better this way, but that's not what makes a great theme. A great theme is where you at no point feel distracted or disturbed by the elements or backgrounds of the theme.

I can add that the borders of the highlights and tabs are a bit jagged. And I think you've taken the easy road to the highlights.. My guess is that you started with the desktop highlight, then resized it to the size of the highlights. The result of that never looks good and that's why you have thick side borders (disturbing the text) and thin top/bottom borders on the highlights. Shortcuts can be good, but this not one of those times.

Three themers that always produce high quality themes with great functionality are Jasnasto, mrklan and Patrick_Lippe. Check their threads and you'll know how a great theme should look like. And take time to look at the technical aspects of their theming, how they use the backgrounds and colors to make it functional.

With all this in mind, I don't think the theme is a disaster, it just needs some work. Keep at it! thumbsup.gif
chunkyvic
I agree about the functionality of the themes however your City Cat theme has some nice stand out touches. Great effort for a newbie. One to watch I think.

Vic
kerohl
ok..happy.gif thnks a lot for these.. happy.gif
thomas_sweden
great theme kerohl thumbsup.gif
jasnasto
I can only agree with all that vs and doc said... just keep on working, you got some very good ideas, kerohl... thumbsup.gif

QUOTE(dr_megabyte @ Dec 22 2006, 08:23 PM)
Three themers that always produce high quality themes with great functionality are Jasnasto, mrklan and Patrick_Lippe. Check their threads and you'll know how a great theme should look like. And take time to look at the technical aspects of their theming, how they use the backgrounds and colors to make it functional.
[right][snapback]266845[/snapback][/right]

Thanx for mentioning me, doc... smile.gif I can only add that your thread has to be checked , too... notworthy.gif
kerohl
hey doc, how bout this one? is it any better?

user posted image
kerohl
Merry Christmas people! happy.gif
zjurina
hi, kerohl byebye.gif

wish you have a Merry Christmas

user posted image

also, sorry to be a little late over here...

wnt to mention it s a nice start in theming you have thumbsup.gif

got already several highly quality themers for adwisers!

listen to them and you ll not miss a success clap.gif

Prefer the second Kitty for now.
kerohl
QUOTE(zjurina @ Dec 26 2006, 05:44 PM)
hi, kerohl  byebye.gif

wish you have a Merry Christmas

user posted image

also, sorry to be a little late over here...

wnt to mention it s a nice start in theming you have  thumbsup.gif

got already several highly quality themers for adwisers!

listen to them and you ll not miss a success  clap.gif

Prefer the second Kitty for now.
[right][snapback]267958[/snapback][/right]

thnks.. notworthy.gif
kerohl
how bout this one?

Destined Theme by Kerohl

user posted image
thomas_sweden
I don't really like those outlines of the softs and status and that thing on the highlights isn't very good looking... and maybe the titles is a bit short... but a great theme, keep them comming thumbsup.gif
kerohl
good to hear from u thomas..happy.gif ok i'll edit those stuffs..happy.gif
shoutout
nice theme kerohl
kerohl
Edited Version..

user posted image

thomas_sweden
looks better, but maybe you could have choosen another outline instead of that you used before... sorry if I only complain, but I really like your theme smile.gif
dr_megabyte
I don't agree with Thomas about your outline.. That's nothing wrong to use and I think it's better to concentrate on what you can improve instead of making you adjust and change everything to suit my personal taste.. Agree about the titles, though. They're a bit on the short side.

I think you need something bordering the soft/status as the transition to the background gets too abrupt without as it is right now.. Imo, it actually looked better with the outline..

The selected tabs and titles could also use some depth. Try a few different drop shadows, and less is often more when using drop shadow. You don't need much to change the look totally.

I think your unselected and selected tabs don't go together. If you assign unselected tabs I think it looks better if you make the selected the same but with some small difference (to make it stand out as selected of course) to it.

Also plenty of examples of this in the elite-themers threads.

What I would have done for your latest theme is this. I suppose you've used a big wallpaper as base for your backgrounds. If you have, then I would use these parts for the menu backgrounds:

user posted image

Or I would use these parts and overlay and/or blend with the standby background. If you select parts from the image with the freehand selection tool and set the feather extremely high and play with the opacity of the different layers you can get blending virtually seamless.

I hope you understand what I mean..

About your previous theme and the second version. I think brightening of the background is the last resort of a desperate mind to make a disfunctional theme functional. It's so much better to have all this in mind when designing your backgrounds instead of making these changes after it's all done.

If you start out thinking that you will make the standby your primary background and the others less busy versions or hints of it I think you're off to a better start with each theme.

Keep it up! But don't rush it, it takes time, especially at this stage! You'll be a champ before you know it! thumbsup.gif
kerohl
on the process.....

user posted image
kerohl
done..

user posted image

link --> Destiny v.2
kerohl
done..
For k700i

user posted image
joefox8869
hey kabayan,

keep up the good themes!!! 10.gif
thomas_sweden
looks great kerohl clap.gif
kerohl
which one thom? and thnks..happy.gif
kerohl
QUOTE(joefox8869 @ Jan 11 2007, 11:36 AM)
hey kabayan,

keep up the good themes!!! 10.gif
[right][snapback]272939[/snapback][/right]

salamat..happy.gif (thnk you)
thomas_sweden
I meant all of them thumbsup.gif especially I like that one that isn't finished thumbsup.gif
bj1605
All of them are amazing Kerhol!!!! Well done youve improved alot since your first theme
kerohl
really?? thnks thom and bj..happy.gif that really uplifts me..happy.gif of course i got inspirations from other m9 themers..happy.gif and i also fantasize zjurina's themes.. wow.gif wonderful..
storm016
good looking themes kerohl ..... smile.gif someone told me oncve ... textures like these ddoesn't look good in the phone I need you to tell me if it is true or not smile.gif
kerohl
QUOTE(storm016 @ Jan 16 2007, 07:28 AM)
good looking themes kerohl ..... smile.gif someone told me oncve ... textures like these ddoesn't look good in the phone I need you to tell me if it is true or not smile.gif
[right][snapback]274638[/snapback][/right]

what textures?
storm016
QUOTE(kerohl @ Jan 25 2007, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE(storm016 @ Jan 16 2007, 07:28 AM)
[right][snapback]274638[/snapback][/right]

what textures?
[right][snapback]278103[/snapback][/right]

oh .. I mean those on DestinyV2 theme bars smile.gif
kerohl
oh... i see.. as far as remember, i looks just fine but i myself feels that something is missing when i would look at it..happy.gif
dina_
Very nice themes and hope you have more to com!!!
jasnasto
Serenade looks very nice, kerohl... thumbsup.gif Some really nice details, but the theme looks a bit busy for my taste ... love the inputs, although the butterflies in the input 1 could make some problems when you write SMS... byebye.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.