Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doc's Tips For Newbie Themers
mobile9 Forum > ThemeMaking > Chat, Tutorials & Resources > Tutorials
Pages: 1, 2
dr_megabyte
I will try to compress all of it into one post..

First off you will need the Sony Ericsson Theme Creator. The latest version can be downloaded HERE!

Alternative link

You will need some graphics software and the one I think is the best for beginners is Jasc/Corel Paint Shop Pro. Any version above 8 (I use 9). Adobe Photoshop also works but it's far more advanced than Paint Shop Pro and not as easy to get started with. Gimp is another good one and it's free. Use Google as always..

Now you have all that is needed to make a brilliant theme. Only your mind sets the limitations of your creations.

These are just my personal opinions and I'm sure there are themers that disagree with some parts, but these are the most important parts imo:

Tip #1: Make it as functional as possible! Meaning don't use bright backgrounds with bright text. Everything has to be readable throughout the theme. Also, try to avoid too high contrasts in the background image for the navigation screens, because that will make it hard to get a text-color that works on all areas.

Tip #2: Use high quality images. When selecting backgrounds use no highly compressed jpg's and don't use gif at all unless you're animating! And try to use more than one background image in a theme.

Tip #3: Practice! There's no shortcuts to a good theme (unless you steal it..). Practice in your graphics software is an absolute must!

Tip #4: Variation. The key to progress imo! When you think you made a great theme, don't repeat the same process again although this is very common especially with beginners.

Tip #5: Attention to detail. Don't leave anything with a "that will do"-attitude. Make it as good as you can and use this mentality to all parts of the theme.

Tip #6: Research. Just to see what is possible, check some of our great themers threads for inspiration and ideas.

Tip #7: Originality. Make everything yourself! No themers like when people rip their softbars or highlights.

Tip #8: Patience. Both when it comes to the work in your graphics program and in the theme maker. Don't rush it, making a theme will take some time but in the end it will be worth it!

Tip #9: Patience.. Can't have enough of that!

Tip #10: Skill. You'll need some if you want to make really good themes. Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro are recommended since most themers use those programs and tutorials are easy to come by. Things like layers and transparency are things I think you have to know about.

To help out Alien Skin has some really good filters that fits both Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro. Those made by Alien Skin that I use are; Eye Candy 4000, Eye Candy 5: Nature, Eye Candy 5: Impact, Eye Candy 5: Textures and Xenofex.

I have written a few tutorials to guide you step by step:

Making a theme in Paint Shop Pro:
http://www.skorpan.dk/tut/theme.html

Softbar creation:
http://www.skorpan.dk/tut/softbar.html

Making a theme preview:
http://www.skorpan.dk/tut/preview/preview.html

Functionality:
http://www.skorpan.dk/tut/function/function.html

That's it! Now visit some of the threads of the M9-themers and you WILL get inspired! Once you've started making your themes, set up your own thread in the SE section and the comments and suggestions will start pouring in.
jasnasto
Finally... clap.gif notworthy.gif 10.gif
Patrick_Lippe
Great doc, i can only add try to make your own styles, patterns and brushes. There are loads of tuts on the net how to make them.
mohammed_intekhab
finaly doc clap.gif you do it it helps us mostly
I really like tip 8 .I will give time to make theme
10.gif 10.gif
Oopsession
Great work Doc clapping.gif clapping.gif 10.gif grouphug.gif
maampia
Nice one Doc! thumbs_up.gif
CrystalEYE
notworthy.gif

And just to add:

Tip #11: Do NEVER stretch an image!!!! Resizing is okay, but keep the proportions of the original image.
beano
Don't resize up - only resize down. If you have to resize down, don't go too far, or the image quality will suffer.
Lucas66
Does anyone have or know of any tutorials on making icons?

dr_megabyte
Added another one to the first post:

Functionality:
jasnasto
This is great, doc... notworthy.gif clap.gif
mohammed_intekhab
@doc:-great doc
its help me more byebye.gif
thomas_sweden
that functionality tut is great... even though I don't follow it laugh.gif great tips too!
rabz6969
QUOTE(dr_megabyte @ Nov 15 2006, 05:37 AM)

First off you will need the Sony Ericsson Theme Creator. The latest version can be downloaded HERE!

You will need some graphics software and the one I think is the best for beginners is Jasc/Corel Paint Shop Pro. Any version above 8 (I use 9). Adobe Photoshop also works but it's far more advanced than Paint Shop Pro and not as easy to get started with. Gimp is another good one and it's free. Use Google as always..

Now you have all that is needed to make a brilliant theme. Only your mind sets the limitations of your creations.

These are just my personal opinions and I'm sure there are themers that disagree with some parts, but these are the most important parts imo:

Tip #1: Make it as functional as possible! Meaning don't use bright backgrounds with bright text. Everything has to be readable throughout the theme. Also, try to avoid too high contrasts in the background image for the navigation screens, because that will make it hard to get a text-color that works on all areas.

Tip #2: Use high quality images. When selecting backgrounds use no highly compressed jpg's and don't use gif at all unless you're animating! And try to use more than one background image in a theme.

Tip #3: Practice! There's no shortcuts to a good theme (unless you steal it..). Practice in your graphics software is an absolute must!

Tip #4: Variation. The key to progress imo! When you think you made a great theme, don't repeat the same process again although this is very common especially with beginners.

Tip #5: Attention to detail. Don't leave anything with a "that will do"-attitude. Make it as good as you can and use this mentality to all parts of the theme.

Tip #6: Research. Just to see what is possible, check some of our great themers threads for inspiration and ideas.

Tip #7: Originality. Make everything yourself! No themers like when people rip their softbars or highlights.

Tip #8: Patience. Both when it comes to the work in your graphics program and in the theme maker. Don't rush it, making a theme will take some time but in the end it will be worth it!

Tip #10: Skill. You'll need some if you want to make really good themes. Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro are recommended since most themers use those programs and tutorials are easy to come by. Things like layers and transparency are things I think you have to know about.

To help out Alien Skin has some really good filters that fits both Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro. Those made by Alien Skin that I use are; Eye Candy 4000, Eye Candy 5: Nature, Eye Candy 5: Impact, Eye Candy 5: Textures and Xenofex.

Softbar creation:

Making a theme preview:

Functionality:

That's it! Now visit some of the threads of the M9-themers and you WILL get inspired! Once you've started making your themes, set up your own thread in the SE section and the comments and suggestions will start pouring in.
[right][snapback]254700[/snapback][/right]

Hey i really appreciate the link but the site says that the page is unavailable. Do you know if the particular site is still running and if it isnt is there anyway that you could tell me another theme making software site. Thanks

dr_megabyte
@rabz6969
It may have been down temporarily..

This is SE's site and it works for me:
http://developer.sonyericsson.com/site/glo..._multimedia.jsp
simplyjinz
this is the thing that i was looking for! thanks doc! it could really help me a lot..thumbsup.gif smile.gif
baby_oink
this is great doc!!!
jacoke
This finally gets me started, thanks Doc.

Just for my Topic in Thememaking.

What about animated themes?

Like a rotating icon in the menu tab?

Kinda like the shields in the Match of the Day intro film.

Could you check on this?

Thx a lot
aapaii
[FONT=Optima][quote=dr_megabyte,Jan 17 2007, 05:23 PM]

[COLOR=blue]
do u know how can I create / design bars with photoshop?
AzureSephiroth
Thank you doc for answering my prayers.
AzureSephiroth
Hey, I can't download the creator from the link you gave. Any other alternatives?
dr_megabyte
Thanx for the comments, guys! byebye.gif

Alternative site for SE theme creator:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Mobile-Phone-...s-Creator.shtml

@aapaii
The steps in Photoshop are basically the same, of course the tools and stuff isn't identical but the process is the same. To find Photoshop tutorials use google and search for "photoshop tutorial" and "photoshop tutorial button" and you'll find more than you could ever use.

@jacoke
When I find the time I'll make a tutorial for animating titles and/or highlights.
aapaii

thankx for the info.. u were right.. there were too many for me and my level.. great stuff! Thankx!
janzokris
thanks for the links for the tuts, i found them a great help. Ive seen were Im going wrong with my themes, getting the colours right to be able to red the text is tricky but with you help I`ll be able to get them to work now. thumbsup.gif 10.gif
sammeke
Thank for the help. I's verry usefull. clap.gif
ting123
hmmm what if i dont have any software like paint shop pro?then have to download from the website?
dr_megabyte
@ting123
Like everything else (that's not downloaded illegaly) it costs. Paint Shop Pro 9 can be found at Amazon for about $100. There is however a trial-version of Paint shop pro 11 to download from corel.com. Adobe Photoshop CS2 is far more powerful but also far more expensive, like $650 or so..
bj1605
Thanks doc, even though I am not a new themer, this is still useful!! wink.gif
boxieblue
thanks doc. that was vvveeeerrrry useful, esp. for a beginner like me
DChete
this is a great thread. I thought I was doing something by uploading .jpg's I created on PSP9...*holding up the loser sign* I was sooo wrong! I had no idea what a theme was until just now. Thanks a lot Doc!
Deathzone_xen
I have a problem with the themes that I make...
I'm using Sony Ericsson theme creator 3.11, making themes for W810i...

the problem is that every time I finish doing the "Activity menu"
When I send the theme to the phone and set it up, I go to the activity menu, in the New Events, the color of the back ground gets wider to the sides and it's awful..
I don't know why this happens, can Anyone help me with that??
cosycat
10.gif This tutorial has been invaluable, many thanks for taking the time to do this notworthy.gif
colzy_15
doc i can't download that sony ericsson theme maker it downloads then starts loading then it says that it cannot complet it what do i do ? wb byebye.gif

QUOTE(dr_megabyte @ Nov 15 2006, 04:37 AM)

Alternative link

Softbar creation:

Making a theme preview:

Functionality:

negawolf
can somebody help me with my problem?

i'm making a S40 nokia theme using the S40 studio...

i got a problem when trying to make the loading bar (the bar that moving when the phone processing sumthin)..

actually i got no problem on making the animation on macromedia flash...

the problem is after i saved the animation on swf format...the S40 studio still can't play it on the preview...

did i make the wrong format?since S40 actually can accept swf file?

Or maybe u guys using the different program to make the loading bar animation? thanx for suggestion..
happylass
Hi negawolf,your right that nokia s40 supports swf flash but only if made with flashlite 1.1.As for the loading bar you can get just as good affects using animation shop which is what i use for my loading bars and a lot easier than using flash. smile.gif hope this helps smile.gif
milkmang
Thank you dr_megabyte

this has really helped me, in more then one way 3 thumbs up

Depest Graitude from your neighbour hood milk mang
riz83
Hey doc!!!

u have told everything to sony ericson newbie themers but nothing for nokia themers

i m new here.. n i m having some problems while creating theme from "carbide UI S60 3.1 for symbian OS". i m making themes for nokia 3230 but it is not working proper.. i cant change forlder icons and highlighters on menu screen in nokia 3230.. so plz plz tell me whether i m using the wrong software or there is any mistake in making the theme...

i will wait for ur reply...

veronica734
May i know where to download photoshop ??? unsure.gif
DeZal
@ Veronica - you can download a trial version from www.adobe.com then you will need to buy it.
aoze
Hi there, is there any tutorial for creating flash theme for SE phones?
adonisdemon
QUOTE(aoze @ Dec 6 2007, 01:22 PM)
Hi there, is there any tutorial for creating flash theme for SE phones?
[right][snapback]450049[/snapback][/right]

Have you tried reading through the guides in the Sony Ericsson Developer site? It gives instructions on Creating Flash Themes.

http://developer.sonyericsson.com/site/glo..._multimedia.jsp
Cool_G5
Good tut.
Will consider the points,while making one.
happylass
If anyone is interested i have made a tutorial for making soft key buttons for sony ericsson mobile themes. Its for paint shop pro users.

You can see it here.
axelek93
user posted image
freyworks
exuse me i have a question iam new here so i dont know much. is it ok to post the same theme for a different types of phone for example a theme for w910i and a theme for w580i?
tdavie83
Do you have a link for a nokia theme creator ?

QUOTE(dr_megabyte @ Nov 15 2006, 04:37 AM)

Alternative link

Softbar creation:

Making a theme preview:

Functionality:

Nemesis101
Carbide UI Theme Edition

ph1ll
morning all, dont know if this has been covered, but when i try to upload a get a message that says "incorrect preview" exuse my ignorance but what does that mean?

thanx for the help
Nemesis101
QUOTE (ph1ll @ Jan 9 2009, 10:07 PM) *
morning all, dont know if this has been covered, but when i try to upload a get a message that says "incorrect preview" exuse my ignorance but what does that mean?

thanx for the help

If you mean you get "incorrect preview" when uploading your screenshots for example, it could mean something like... wrong file type, wrong file size or wrong screenshot size...
check what ever your trying to upload with the requirements fields in the upload section.
NVDVS1
Not a newbie but didn't want to start a new topic - Help with Travis icon pack. Can someone tell me how to implement this pack into carbide 3.4? I am going freeking NUTS! Can't read italian for a start.
I followed the instructions via translator and I can't find the directory mentioned. Here is the included instructions.

Il file "icons.xml" e' un file di configurazione di Carbide,compatibile con tutte le versioni,contenente il listato di tutte le icone 3rd party.

Per utilizzarlo,copiarlo in

C:\Programmi\Nokia\Carbide.ui Theme Edition 3.2.1.0\Eclipse\plugins\com.nokia.tools.theme.s60_3.2.1.0\data\config

assicurandosi di aver prima effettuato una copia di backup del file esistente.

What folder do I copy or cut the icons.xml to.

help appreciated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.