Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: N73 Cant Install Themes
mobile9 Forum > > User Support
swiss210
I just installed some themes on my memory card on the n73, i went to remove card and didnt remove properly, had to re-format card, now themes wont install.I re-installed applications fine. Can anybody help would be grateful.
EchoZulu
Welcome to M9!

I'm working on finding this out myself. I had this happen to a few of my games and some themes on my N80. After some serious searching on my memory card I took care of the games but there's 1 theme that I can't reinstall - and of course it's my favorite theme!!

Hopefully someone can help us both otherwise I'll post up once I figure it out. thumbsup.gif
mr g
To re-install themes on to your phones again you have to format the phone and the sd card,other wise they wont install.
I've now done both at least 6 or 7 times now as sometimes i install a new theme and it takes place of another,which is always one of my favourites.
I then have to go through all the formating of phone and sd card and then install everything again.
It's a pain in the arse but it has to be done sometimes to get back what you want.
swiss210
QUOTE(mr g @ Oct 21 2006, 02:49 PM)
To re-install themes on to your phones again you have to format the phone and the sd card,other wise they wont install.
I've now done both at least 6 or 7 times now as sometimes i install a new theme and it takes place of another,which is always one of my favourites.
I then have to go through all the formating of phone and sd card and then install everything again.
It's a pain in the arse but it has to be done sometimes to get back what you want.
[right][snapback]246245[/snapback][/right]
10.gif
Yep your right i had to reset the phone. I lost all the updates and plugins, does anyone know where i can get these from for the n73. Before reseting the phone i had a search engine on the main menu and the overall look of the menu and sub-menu's were different.
EchoZulu
Have you guys examined the Z drive before you formatted? I haven't had time lately but any references left behind by installed themes are probably in there somewhere.

I'll report any findings. thumbsup.gif
EchoZulu
OK guys I figured it out!! smile.gif

It wasn't easy but it worked! I'll post what I did here but you'll have to find the software yourself unfortunately (warez) and hopefully it will work. I was afraid that I had lost my favorite theme forever!! (Silver Groove by Dingo).

disclaimer: This method worked for me but try at your own risk. Use this guide ONLY for your own purposes and DO NOT post any edited files on this site without the consent of the original creator. Even though you are not editing the contect of the theme it is still the property of the creator and must not be shared without permission!

Tools:

uNsIs v2.5
WinSiS Pro v1.31

Guide:

1. Open uNsIs and load the theme by pressing 'Open SIS'.

2. Press the 'Extract' button. 3-4 files will be unpacked into a new folder with the directory C:\uNsIs\temp\private\10207114\import. There will be 1 MBM file, 1 MIF file, 1 SKN file, and possibly 1 INI file.

Before you exit uNsIs, highlight and copy the path as shown below:

user posted image

3. Close uNsIs and open WinSiS Pro.

4. Click the '...' button next to UID. A windows browser window will open. Browse to C:\uNsIs\temp\private\10207114\import and go into the new folder that was created when you unpacked the theme. Select the SKN file and click 'Open'.

5. Enter a version number in the 'Version' field. This should be a number other than the original theme and the format is "00,00,00". Example: version 1.01 would be 01,01,00.

6. Enter a name for the theme in the 'Name of SIS eXtra file' field. This should also be different than the original.

7. Check the box next to '7, other path' and in the field to the right paste the path that you copied in step 2.

8. Click the open space under '7, other path' and browse to the 3-4 files in C:\uNsIs\temp\private\10207114\import\[folderX]. Select them 1 at a time.

9. Click the 'Save PKG' button.

10. Once the program is done thinking click the 'MakeSiS' button. Don't do anything until an "OK" pop up appears. Then you can exit the program.

Now if you browse to C:\WinSiS you'll find the newly packaged theme ready to be installed!

thumbsup.gif
madhumani
QUOTE(EchoZulu @ Oct 25 2006, 12:26 AM)
uNsIs v2.5
WinSiS Pro v1.31

Hi Echo,

I managed to install unisys, but can't find winsis pro anywhere (google,etc). Mind pointing me to where i could find it?

Just lost my favourite theme, arghh!

Thanks
dennis91
i believe, even though the theme was installed to the memory card which was removed in an improper way, certain 'data file(s)' was saved onto the phone still.

the presence of this 'data file(s)' seems to cause to phone to think that the theme is still there though it isn't, thus we are unable to reinstall the theme, as there will be a clash in the 'data file(s)'.

changing the version and the filename of the theme will prevent this clash.

however, i believe, this problem can also be solved by finding out where these 'data file(s)' were installed to. Deleting them manually thereafter would prevent a clash should we choose to reinstall the theme. However, I couldn't seem to be able to find such files, even when using a file manager on the phone. Thus I may be wrong, or I just didn't know how to identify those 'data file(s)'.

Would anyone more experienced offer help?
EchoZulu
QUOTE(madhumani @ Oct 29 2006, 04:38 AM)
Hi Echo,

I managed to install unisys, but can't find winsis pro anywhere (google,etc). Mind pointing me to where i could find it?

Just lost my favourite theme, arghh!

Thanks
[right][snapback]248541[/snapback][/right]

I wish I could my friend but I've said all I can say in accordance with forum rules. Keep searching and you will find it. Include the version number in your search and that might help. thumbsup.gif
samar1001
hi madhumani,

well cut n paste the foll link in ur browser n u can get it
<url snipped, pirates>/mobile_phone/showthread.php?p=123083

hope u will b able to download cos i dl it 4m hr

N thnx Echozulu

will surely tru out ur solution n try n get my fav theme back

samar
samar1001
ooops sorry
<url snipped, pirates>/mobile_phone/showthread.php?p=123083
ths is the link
samar1001
i don knw y the link is changing

<url snipped, pirates>/mobile_phone

newys try the above site u will def find it thr

or find the link on yahoo search

all the best

samar1001
<URL snipped>

the site name is <snip> ok

i hv prob in post the link here
EchoZulu
@samar

It is not allowed to post that site on this forum, that is why you were having trouble. Please do not bypass the autofilter, it is there for a reason.

Forum Rules

6) Don't ask for w****, no links to w**** please.

That site is nothing but warez, and that is why it's banned.
samar1001
sorry...had no idea abt it ...ws jus tryin to help sum1 who might need it...thts alll
newys m sorry

wont do it again...
EchoZulu
It's no problem. We appreciate you helping other members and thanks for your understanding. thumbsup.gif
Evrae
Has this bug been fixed by a Nokia update yet?
EchoZulu
No, unfortunately it hasn't been addressed in any fw updates as of yet. The real issue is the installation/removal of themes. If a theme is not properly removed by the phone, the security measures of OS 9.1 prevent it's reinstallation without taking the steps outlined in my earlier post in this topic.
mrcreativity
I tried the procedure that was illustrated earlier.

However, I'm having trouble at step 9. When i click on Save PKG, nothing happens.

I'm using Winsis v.1.31.

Any suggestions?
EchoZulu
Hey mrcreativity, welcome to the forum! smile.gif

Have a look in the directory C:\winsis and you may find that the packed sis is there even though no confirmation was displayed. This program is a bit buggy...

If not, please let me know what OS you're using. Thx.
mrcreativity
QUOTE(EchoZulu @ Jan 21 2007, 05:28 AM)
Hey mrcreativity, welcome to the forum! smile.gif

Have a look in the directory C:\winsis and you may find that the packed sis is there even though no confirmation was displayed.  This program is a bit buggy...

If not, please let me know what OS you're using.  Thx.
[right][snapback]276516[/snapback][/right]

Nope, not there. It appears to be really buggy, not to mention how hard it is to find.

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition SP2.
EchoZulu
Hmm. Why don't you link me to the theme that you're trying to repackage and I'll have a look. Please just make sure that the theme is not on a site conatining warez (against the rules). Thx thumbsup.gif
mr g
QUOTE(EchoZulu @ Oct 24 2006, 05:26 PM)
OK guys I figured it out!! smile.gif

It wasn't easy but it worked!  I'll post what I did here but you'll have to find the software yourself unfortunately (warez) and hopefully it will work.  I was afraid that I had lost my favorite theme forever!!  (Silver Groove by Dingo).

disclaimer: This method worked for me but try at your own risk.  Use this guide ONLY for your own purposes and DO NOT post any edited files on this site without the consent of the original creator.  Even though you are not editing the contect of the theme it is still the property of the creator and must not be shared without permission!

Tools:

uNsIs v2.5
WinSiS Pro v1.31

Guide:

1. Open uNsIs and load the theme by pressing 'Open SIS'.

2. Press the 'Extract' button.  3-4 files will be unpacked into a new folder with the directory C:\uNsIs\temp\private\10207114\import.  There will be 1 MBM file, 1 MIF file, 1 SKN file, and possibly 1 INI file.

Before you exit uNsIs, highlight and copy the path as shown below:

user posted image

3. Close uNsIs and open WinSiS Pro.

4. Click the '...' button next to UID.  A windows browser window will open.  Browse to C:\uNsIs\temp\private\10207114\import and go into the new folder that was created when you unpacked the theme.  Select the SKN file and click 'Open'.

5. Enter a version number in the 'Version' field.  This should be a number other than the original theme and the format is "00,00,00". Example: version 1.01 would be 01,01,00.

6. Enter a name for the theme in the 'Name of SIS eXtra file' field.  This should also be different than the original.

7. Check the box next to '7, other path' and in the field to the right paste the path that you copied in step 2.

8. Click the open space under '7, other path' and browse to the 3-4 files in C:\uNsIs\temp\private\10207114\import\[folderX].  Select them 1 at a time.

9. Click the 'Save PKG' button.

10. Once the program is done thinking click the 'MakeSiS' button.  Don't do anything until an "OK" pop up appears.  Then you can exit the program.

Now if you browse to C:\WinSiS you'll find the newly packaged theme ready to be installed!

thumbsup.gif
[right][snapback]247176[/snapback][/right]

I dont why you use the winsis app EZ,i just use the unsis app,open sis,select everything,extract it,then i find the theme in c/unsis,i then copy and paste it into the theme folder 10207114 via mass storage mode.
No need for installing or anything that way.
EchoZulu
That'll work too. smile.gif

All the sis does is automatically copy the files to the appropriate folder. thumbsup.gif
EchoZulu
QUOTE(mrcreativity @ Jan 20 2007, 10:29 AM)
However, I'm having trouble at step 9. When i click on Save PKG, nothing happens.

Ah!

I just reread your post and now I see the problem. smile.gif You will not see anything happen until step 10 after you press the make sis button. Then after a few seconds you will see the pop up and your sis will be in the c:\unsis directory.
mrcreativity
Mr g's method worked perfectly. I think its the best to use this method. But this assumes that the USB cable is available on hand.

Echozulu, i,ve tried it both ways, and after numerous attempts, I'm using the one mrg uses.

I'm still struggling on step 9. Nothing happens, and even when i click on make sis, a small window pops up and then disappears.

Thanks agiain you guys.
EchoZulu
Once that window disappears after you press make sis, within about 10 seconds you should find the sis in your winsis folder.

But just copying the folder to your card will accomplish the same thing. Glad it's working though! thumbsup.gif

pachi81
QUOTE(EchoZulu @ Jan 21 2007, 10:49 PM)
Once that window disappears after you press make sis, within about 10 seconds you should find the sis in your winsis folder.

But just copying the folder to your card will accomplish the same thing.  Glad it's working though! thumbsup.gif
[right][snapback]276797[/snapback][/right]

Hey!
I tried your guide and made the sis-file. But when I tried to install the sis with the nokia PC Suite, my N73 tell me after the security warning and the program details: "Unable to install protected application from a untrusted supplier!" sad.gif

The theme is still installed on my memory card and I want to install the theme on my phone, so to copy over the mass storage connection doesn´t work for me sad.gif

Can you help me?

Michel
pachi81
QUOTE(elton @ Feb 19 2007, 08:33 PM)

Thank you for the little information, but when you refer to:

Go to Application Manager>select the application that you are trying to install, click on Options>Settings. You will see two options:
1) Software Installation (set this to "All")
2) Online Certificate. (set this to "Off")

These options are set on my phone!!! But I can´t install the theme I´ve created with unsis and winsis!!!
Or is there any other option to set??? I couldn´t find one! If it was my fault, I´m sorry! unsure.gif
elton
You need to create a certificate key, search the nokia sections, i tried but failed to find anything.
Why dont you use theme studio?
mr g
Heres how to make a certificate,but this is for FExplorer though i cant see it being different for a theme
http://www.gosymbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757

I have done this myself for my FExplorer 3rd edition beta and it's not too difficult but as i said i dont know if it's any different doing it for a theme.
ymqslss
Thank!!!!!!!!!
skaiserz
i cant find the theme folder. any help?
mr g
QUOTE(skaiserz @ May 20 2007, 08:07 AM)
i cant find the theme folder. any help?
[right][snapback]333319[/snapback][/right]

Theme folder where?
AdrianDizon
Hi, I'm sorry for the thread necromancing but I would to give my thanks to mr g for his straight forward theme installation solution.

I was googling for a solution of the problem in question (with an N73ME) and this really worked well. With this, not only is the Unable to Install! problem solved, but I am also able to install multiple themes in one copy+paste move.

My only woe is that I wish there was a better program that could extract .sis files' contents, particularly one with a feature that can extract batches of .sis files (like WinRar's Extract Here/All function), Unsis 2.5's one by one extracting is the only hard part in the process.

Anyway, thanks again, sir.
The_b7_Guy
Hi , i have an n73 and i can't install themes-whi?
what can i do? are the themes expired?
i don't think so,but the phone believes that:) please answer
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.