EDIT: Please note that Motorola Skins can be installed via data cable only. They do not support installation via WAP.
Jan 19 - Updated Skins Manager link. Now supports V3x.
Skins Manager - This program is included in my software suite installer (in my sig) but the latest version is linked here.
RSD Lite 2.7 - May be needed in order for Skins Manager to recognize your phone. Latest stable build as of today is 2.7.
WinRAR - Or any other utility to extract rar and zip files.
*Note: Please ensure that you use skins compatible with your phone model!
Once you have found and downloaded a skin that you like, extract it to a new folder. This folder should now contain AT LEAST one .JPG or .GIF file (wallpaper), one .SKI file, and several .DAT files. To explain what those files are:
.SKI File: This file is basically the "skin map". It contains all of the skin information such as font colors, object references, and object positions.
.DAT Files: These files contain all of the images that make up the skin excluding the wallpaper.
1. Connect your phone to your PC using any standard mini-USB -> USB cable.
2. Open Skins Manager. Skins Manager will take some time to initialize and read the skin contents on your phone. Once a list of skins appears and "Ready" is displayed in the lower left corner, Skins Manager is ready.
2a. NOTE: If Skins Manager does not recognize your phone, RSD Lite is required. First connect your phone to your PC, then open RSD Lite. Once RSD Lite is connected, then you can open Skins Manager.
3. Click the [Install] button. On the window that pops up, DO NOT check any boxes.
4. Click the [OK] button. Now browse to the skin folder on your PC and select the appropriate .SKI file. Now click the [Open] button.
5. Your skin will now begin installing. DO NOT disconnect your phone while data is being transferred.
6. Once the transfer is complete the list of skins will be refreshed in the main window of Skins Manager. You should now see your new skin in that list. The name of the skin in this list (and on your phone) will be the same as the .SKI file. DO NOT change this file name manually or errors will occur.
7. Now click the [More] button and then click on [Restart]. Wait until your phone shuts off and then you can disconnect the USB cable.
7a. If you are installing more than one skin, you can do so without restarting your phone after each skin. Just make sure that you restart when you are finished.
7b. To delete skins from your phone, highlight the skin in the main window of Skins Manager and click the [Delete] button. Remember to restart your phone as described in 7 above once you are done. DO NOT EVER delete the Moto skin from your phone or serious errors will occur.
To apply the skin on your phone, just browse to Menu -> Settings -> Personalize -> Skins.