Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arthurwill's Laboratory...
mobile9 Forum > ThemeMaking > Showcase: Sony Ericsson Themes
Pages: 1, 2, 3
ArthurWill
I am suppose to study for the coming practical exams...wallbash.gif...but here is my first result from my self-design experiment....

Below is the screenshot of the standby K750 theme...i am new here and hoping that you guys who is much better than i am could have a look and give me some feedback. notworthy.gif
Patrick_Lippe
It is looking good for me.

Mmm immediately going to make a k750 theme, that is hard! Respect bro.

fridgeuk
Welcome to M9 Arthurwill smile.gif

Nice so far, although I'm not sure about the text colour on the softkeys
ArthurWill
QUOTE(fridgeuk @ May 22 2005, 07:10 PM)
Nice so far, although I'm not sure about the text colour on the softkeys
[right][snapback]130857[/snapback][/right]

I tried few others..but they seems hardly match the flag's colour 1.gif ..i will give it another try..
Patrick_Lippe
You can give the softkeys bot an other colour. Try white on the left and leave the black on the right.

Like this

user posted image
dLazaros
Nice Arthur, I respect the effort, and Patrick has some nice solution for the text wink.gif

Keep it up, we are all here for you thumbsup.gif
ArthurWill
I tried and they certainly looks better now... Patrick thumbsup.gif ...by the way do you think i should change it to only Italy's flag?? It seems to me that both Italy and German's flag here are too colourful...also one is vertical and the other horizontal...although the mixture of them is much more meaningful..

@dL...thanks guys!
Patrick_Lippe
Leave it this way! It is looking good.
ArthurWill
Wow...now i know how much effort you guys have to put in to make a theme...i spent 2 hours just to make my desktop... weightlift.gif..any opinions are welcome and much appreciated..i am off to bed now! Finally. sleeping.gif
adonisdemon
Arthur - the desktop is very crowded, the icons are very difficult to see. the key aspects of a theme are visibility and usability, try either fading the desktop pic into a red background or blurring it. should be easier to see.

once you start to make a few themes, it'll take you less time, it's just the fact of getting used to the whole theming idea. smile.gif

*ps don't forget to finish it all, the screens are missing status bars and backgrounds wink.gif
ArthurWill
QUOTE(adonisdemon @ May 23 2005, 12:58 AM)
*ps don't forget to finish it all, the screens are missing status bars and backgrounds wink.gif
[right][snapback]130990[/snapback][/right]

Sorry adonis...i dun get what you mean here... unsure.gif

Here is the one with a mask on top..now the icons are much more visible... clap.gif
Patrick_Lippe
He is meaning that you have to put everywhere a pic! Not only change the background. Like you did in pic 3 (the yellow one). Maybe a pic of a car here? Look at the themes of vinnieza, jas and me to see what he is meaning.

You have a long way to go, theming for this phone is not easy. You have to make a lot pics and to get the right balance of colours in k750 themes is very difficult.

I think you should also try k700 themes, it is easier and you can become fast better.

For now good work!
adonisdemon
Arthur - patrick has pointed it out. the first two screens are complete, now to move onto the other screens, you can just keep them with a plain bg, but it won't get the respect it deserves as a "complete" theme.
ArthurWill
Adonis & Patrick...finally i know what you guys are trying to point out my flaw here... wallbash.gif ...i didn't notice that all the background of my theme will be depended to the picture i import for screen 3.. tongue.gif ...i will get a good one for that!.. laugh.gif
ArthurWill
Here is the preview with "complete" background... weightlift.gif ....please give me some feedback...

@Patrick, I will try out K700 once i finish with this..which would probably take months.. haha.gif
Sade
welcome Arthurwill grouphug.gif
glad to see you here and with good theme..as from the start it's good basis.
keep on working on theme and many great themers for help and companions.

if I may suggest..as what I have done with the new theme for new phone..first take a tour on the site how it works..second test it on it as simple pictures or use colour as black and white and red etc for areas..and you will know all effects

also you could do animations on some more screen besides the standby for K750 too.

Keep on going Arthur clap.gif

byebye.gif
ArthurWill
Thanks Sade....for the encouragement thumbsup.gif ...i will look around and learn from other themers great work...i am new to Photoshop.. sad.gif ..now on my way of learning to use it...so i certainly wouldn't be able to do any animations yet...i will learn them up step by step... haha.gif

Also congratulations Sade...for winning the theme making challenge...you themes are always great..and i like your theme for the giveaway week very much! Very innovative piece of work! notworthy.gif
adonisdemon
Arthur - check out www.good-tutorials.com for photoshop help smile.gif
ArthurWill
Have a quick glance over the website just now...and 10.gif ...it will be very useful one for me..thanks adonis... clap.gif ...

By the way what do you guys think of the following "uncomplete" theme? Is there any flaw in there? Feel free to comment...
adonisdemon
for a first theme, i don't see nothing critically wrong with that, it's a very good effort thumbsup.gif

now all you need is more practice, join the TMC and improve your theming ability, experience will make you better with guidance and knowledge,
...luckily it's all here for you in mobile9 laugh.gif
Patrick_Lippe
Well i think it is time to work on the highlight! The pic is good, but the highlight is too simple and not really fitting. I am sure that you can do this! Use the blending options for getting nice results (just play with the bevel option).
Patrick_Lippe
When is it finished?
ArthurWill
QUOTE(Patrick_Lippe @ Jun 4 2005, 05:01 PM)
When is it finished?
[right][snapback]134411[/snapback][/right]

This lab will be closed till the usual semester examination ends.... laugh.gif....i have to pass...if not will have to retain.... wacko.gif
ArthurWill
user posted image

This is my second attempt. Feel free to drop me comments as they could only make me better. grouphug.gif
Patrick_Lippe
Ok i am going to be hard, sorry for that you want advice and becoming better.

I don't know how it looks on the phone but the standby pic is not of a high quality. To bright imo, not sharp. Also the head of the guy is cut of, just look onder the title.

The softkeys can do some work too, just try thing with blending options-- bevel and give it a little border.

The highs are looking good, but the quality of the little persons is notv very good.

Everything has to be a bit sharper, but i see you are getting it.

Good work and stay theming, i think you have to compete with the challenge because we are giving there many advice. Let's start with a k700 theme so you will not loose much time.

ArthurWill
QUOTE(Patrick_Lippe @ Jun 23 2005, 05:33 PM)
Ok i am going to be hard, sorry for that you want advice and becoming better.

No worries...as i mentioned earlier...they are welcome to improve myself

As for the standby pic....maybe i could find a better one....

I will try on K700 after this....and thanks Patrick for your time looking and correcting me.. notworthy.gif

jasnasto
Apart from previously said, I will add, wrong input 1 colours, overall - it's a nice attempt, with lot of details, which is good.
I agree with Pat - since you don't have k750, it's better to practice with k700... byebye.gif
adonisdemon
Arthur - when resizing pics, try to keep the aspect ratio, this way they won't become stretched or look weird.
for info on keeping images sharp, and correct contrast, try using good-tutorials.com and search for techniques relating to this.

k750 theming is confusing enough to start on, k700 maybe easier as it has less screens to work with. good attempt nonetheless.

when making the theme, keep on previewing it and see how functional it is. also check out other's themes to get ideas and info on hot to make the best out of the space your working with.

a few refferals for your info:
clean functional themes: spawn, simon, gseth
technical themes: patrick, BBT, TT
good balance: augustborn99, zleepy, jasnasto

take a look at how their themes contrast and different approaches to them. and yes joining the TMC will help a LOT.

finally, i think i've said too much wallbash.gif
ArthurWill
wrong input 1 colours

sorry i dun quite get this..would you mind explain them to me?? unsure.gif

i think i've said too much

haha.gif yeah...i need time to digest them...but detail info...helps lot..

Thanks notworthy.gif
Patrick_Lippe
Well she is meaning the colours of your text and back colours. Yellow/orange and black are not the best choices. Just look at the textcolours of jasnasto imo the best with colouring. If you want to be sure you want it right, than you have to look at gseths. He is most of the time using black and white.
augustborn99
AW,

1. do not overwhelm yourself with special effects/techniques yet.

2. start with the basics:
*wallpaper selection.
tip:
-make sure subject of the wallpaper is "in focus"
-avoid contrasting colors (ie, blak and white together) in your wallpaper, as it will be difficult to pick a text color later.
*make sure text is readable (beware the phone displays lighter than the preview)

3. if you want to play, look into "gradients", transparencies" "glassbuttons", and for god's sake do not use "bevel/emboss" on a theme, it is simply overused.

*your efforts are not "beginner" in my eye. it just needs some polishing
ArthurWill
Thanks August for your advice...for now i will have a go on others themes around here in M9...and learn from you guys...i will have to start from real basic of learning...as you said wall chossing...i never realised that it is so important but when i look back...i missed that part...

I am fortunate to have advice from all of you guys here in M9 who is willing to help...i will learn.

QUOTE(augustborn99 @ Jun 24 2005, 02:12 PM)
*your efforts are not "beginner" in my eye. it just needs some polishing
[right][snapback]139007[/snapback][/right]

Thanks a lot notworthy.gif
ArthurWill
user posted image

This is my first TMC entry...and any comments guys?? they are welcome as always...

I got to sleep now....6 am here in Oz...my eyes could barely open.... sleeping.gif
adonisdemon
that is one major jump in improement ohmy.gif

fantastic theme Arthur 10.gif
ArthurWill
QUOTE(adonisdemon @ Jun 26 2005, 07:07 AM)
that is one major jump in improement ohmy.gif

fantastic theme Arthur 10.gif
[right][snapback]139465[/snapback][/right]

Really?? unsure.gif ... thanks a lot adonis...my nearly 24 hours work sound stupid....but at least see some improvement in it....really thanks notworthy.gif
jing0304
I agree with adonis..
It's really fantastic..
Snickers,eh?
Man,I wish I could just take out the snickers from the theme..
ArthurWill
Welcome Jing, and thanks for your compliment... cheers.gif ...

QUOTE(jing0304 @ Jun 26 2005, 11:52 AM)
Snickers,eh?
Man,I wish I could just take out the snickers from the theme..
[right][snapback]139498[/snapback][/right]

haha.gif luckily i was having Crunch while making it...if not probably would have been busy...finding tissues to wipe off saliva on my PC..laugh.gif
elton
Great progress...keep going. thumbsup.gif

The snicker bar is too big for the single title highlight tho? the bottom part is fixed to the background. smile.gif
ArthurWill
Thanks Elton... smile.gif
QUOTE(elton @ Jun 26 2005, 10:35 PM)
The snicker bar is too big for the single title highlight tho? the bottom part is fixed to the background. smile.gif
[right][snapback]139568[/snapback][/right]

Yeah...when i resized it to proper single highlight....it looks small..sad.gif so i "join" it with the background....
elton
But that wont look any good on the phone when using the highlight. sad.gif

It looked small because the highlight was still full size (169x55),i usually make them at 165x48 on a transparent background,this way they you can add shadows and overlaping parts,and they will still be included in the max size 169x55.
Having a small amount of transparency around the HL,also means you have room for small adjustments if you want to incorporate the highlight into the background like in my vortex,neon and galaxy bounce themes. thumbsup.gif
ArthurWill
QUOTE(elton @ Jun 26 2005, 10:57 PM)
But that wont look any good on the phone when using the highlight. sad.gif

:opps: I completely miss that wallbash.gif.....

QUOTE(elton @ Jun 26 2005, 10:57 PM)
Having a small amount of transparency around the HL,also means you have room for small adjustments if you want to incorporate the highlight into the background like in my vortex,neon and galaxy bounce themes. thumbsup.gif
[right][snapback]139573[/snapback][/right]

I am a little confused here....but after looking through your neon theme....is it when we make it precisely the actual 169x55...then we can't include shadows since it will be covered by the upper text (did you ever notice) ??...but if make it with 169x48 on transparent background...we could have some space between the highlight and the upper text to have some shadows....is that what you were trying to explain just now?? unsure.gif
elton
No,
The highlight needs to be saved as a 169x55 image otherwise you will get errors....what i mean is...you dont have to use the whole area....if you make the HL smaller than the max size,you are then free to add shadows and overlapping parts without exeeding the total max size of 169x55,you can then move the highlight around inside the area if you need to fine tune the exact location. thumbsup.gif
Btw: The theme preview screens are not true to all the areas tho,so you need to test on the phone and adjust if needed.

Dont worry about doing this yet tho,there are more important things to practice first. thumbsup.gif

Attached example,
This HL can me moved around a good few pixels (in any direction),to make it fit its location. smile.gif

Edit: Forgot the attachment. wallbash.gif
ArthurWill
notworthy.gif ..its much clearer to me now....thumbsup.gif...yeah long way to go in theme making...but will learn as it goes...and you guys are fantastic in helping me....thanks a lot.. cheers.gif

I am still with phone that dun support theme...sad.gif ....how i wish i could get one soon..
elton
Its not a long way,coz there is no destination. surrender.gif

Everyone is constantly learning. thumbsup.gif
fridgeuk
Excellent work on your entry Arthur. Keep them coming thumbsup.gif
ArthurWill
QUOTE(elton @ Jun 27 2005, 12:00 AM)
Its not a long way,coz there is no destination. surrender.gif

Everyone is constantly learning. thumbsup.gif
[right][snapback]139597[/snapback][/right]

laugh.gif....and its the constant learning that gathers all of us together here...thumbsup.gif...fantastic!
vinnieza
Although i don't usually like the colour yellow in a theme. I still like this theme smile.gif. Nice work thumbsup.gif
Sade
very good indeed Arthur. from the version K700. it's not so hard for your ability from now to try on K750i. it's not so much different imo. some sizing and some more screen. just also have to try and explore on effects with your paint programes.

for the snackers I like the colour scheme and the pics you choose.

for the slam dunk,[added] look nice. maybe set less opacity of the nets,imo.
for K750 softkey. maybe you could do the whole baseketball size. coz imo for K750i some parts are not nessessary to have them.as softkey you also have press left and right that won't show that's all.
just my opinion.

and goodlucks,

regards,
Sade
ArthurWill
Thanks for your comments Sade.. notworthy.gif ...as for the slam dunk theme....its down there in the bin...laugh.gif but yeah you are right bout the softkeys..
ArthurWill
Here is another attempt...but got a problem tho...

user posted image

About the operator text...because my wall is all black in colour in that region.....hence i got the text in black as well....so as to hide them...but then will it be a problem when you actually try them on the phone???

Below is a screen shot of my standby....there isn't any red cross there...does that mean its ok?? unsure.gif

[attachmentid=11917]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.