IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Search!
HansJam
post Apr 16 2012, 01:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Partial Members
Member No.: 8004875

Would it be possible to change the search engine so it can look for tags as well?

It is not so much a problem for me, but for the people looking for downloads. There are thousands of books on the site now, and unless you know the name of the author or exact title of the book you'll have a hard time finding anything. Moreover, many people actually don't know what they are looking for and search for suitable books by genres.

Let me expand on this. I've started to upload a selection of African-American Authors. Different authors, different titles; few of them known to anybody except maybe a few experts. I am tagging all my uploads in a consistent way and if the search engine would respond to tags a client could find a whole genre like African-American, Street Lit, Romance or Historical without having to have any prior knowledge. Few people have the leisure to spend hours to search though the site and I'm sure you're aware that uploads made today will be almost impossible to find three days from now, unless you know exactly what you're looking for. Intelligent use of tags could change that.

I believe this is something that should be taken under consideration and could go a long way to make the site more user friendly, especially in view of the fact that - at least on busy sections - many uploads don't turn up in the public galleries.

But you may want to limit the availability of a thorough search function to registered users to try to keep it off-limits for automated bots, or else we'll have the uploads featured on Google soon.

HJ

This post has been edited by HansJam: Apr 18 2012, 04:27 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 05:47 AM