Closed TopicStart new topic
> Network Software Differences On The Same Handset
macgyver1macgyve...
post Oct 13 2009, 04:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Partial Members
Member No.: 2901414

Hi all

I've recently done a comparison between two Nokia 3120classic handsets (one with Optus software, the other with Vodafone software) and noticed a big difference between the quality of the pictures taken on the cameras. They are both operating on version 9.41 of the firmware, so I figured they would perform exactly the same. Is it just luck of the draw as to why there is such a difference betwen the two cameras, or can one network provider's variation on a firmware be better than another?

To provide further detail, the Optus handset managed really well in low light situations, automatically increasing the light exposure level and managing to produce a crisper image than appears on the screen once the picture has been processed. The Vodafone handset produced grainy and green tinted pictures in low light, but otherwise performed really well in all other lighting conditions. I noticed the Optus camera lens had a slight blue tint to it, compared to the Vodafone handset's lens, which seemed completely clear, but I figure the tinting would perhaps affect the white-balance more than light exposure levels.

The Optus hanset is my one. I've unlocked it and used 'Nemesis' to change the product code so that next time I use the Nokia Software Update, all the Optus stuff will be taken off the phone. I might change the code back to the Optus one if it turns out that it is this network software that is to thank for the excellent picture quality.

Anyone out there know much about this stuff to advise me?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 05:39 PM