Closed TopicStart new topic
> Qwerty+touchscreen Within $420
boxieblue
post Oct 12 2009, 08:32 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Junior Admin Team
Member No.: 583675

i know, i know! i ask too many of these questions. but u guys are the best (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

this time, i am looking for a phone for myself. my budget is supposed to be Rs. 15k, but i am sure i can convince my "sponsors" to increase it by a little (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

i would like to have a touch screen phone with a slide out QWERTY keypad. but most of the phones i like (N97, N900(yet to be launched), etc) are well beyond my budget (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

the option i am looking at currently is the 5800 xpress music phone, but it doesn't have any sort of keypad. and i am not sure if i will like that too much....but then again, if anyone gives me a comprehensive, first-hand experience, i will consider.

if nothing else works out, i might even go back to the N81 i previously had (and was stolen). it at least had a usable ngage in landscape mode.
but the N81 now seems pretty boring to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

so, i am sure u have the idea. sth like the N97, but only, cheaper. a lot cheaper! within Rs. 20000 (approx $420)

EDIT: i will outline my main requirements: fast processor, enough RAM so that it doesn't keep hanging (oh...i love to fool around with the phone software...), great music playback (means high storage as well), and a good camera preferably with auto-focus

thanks guys

P.S. not a huge fan of windows mobile....

This post has been edited by boxieblue: Oct 12 2009, 08:45 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
boxieblue
post Oct 12 2009, 09:46 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

i am mainly stuck between the nokia 5800 and Samsung jet.
5800 has symbian....which means a wider range of apps. the apps on the jet...?!?!?

+Quote Post
adonisdemon
post Oct 12 2009, 02:00 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Admin Team
Member No.: 6549

HTC Dream (aka T-Mobile G1) would be my suggestion, although it's camera is pretty rubbish. But if you can live with a 3.2mp camera, with no auto-focus and flash then the Touchscreen, physical QWERTY keyboard and the Android OS with it's marketplace is a pretty good overall experience. It should also be affordable and in your budget?

Or try looking at a few other Android powered handsets with physical qwerty keyboards, such as the Motorola DEXT - not sure if this is available in your region. This has a 5MP auto-focus camera too.

+Quote Post
blade87
post Oct 12 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #4

Group: Partial Members
Member No.: 973649

It isn't a good idea to buy a phone without an OS so the Samsung Jet is out. I'd offer you to go for a device with Windows Mobile. I have a Samsung i900 flashed with Windows Mobile 6.5 Touch FLO v2 and I can tell you it's much better than Symbian . Also the camera of the i900 is pretty good. Search for some photos taken with it and you'll see. In my opinion you'll be better without a QWERTY keyboard, because it will only shrink your display to accommodate the keypad (if it is under the screen like the E-Series from Nokia). But also there are many HTC's that have a N97-like slide-out keyboard. Browse some of the HTC products. I can only tell you that the camera of most of HTC's isn't very good.
Here are my offers:
Number 1
Number 2
Number 3 (I recommend you this!) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

After you choose something, please share it with us.

This post has been edited by blade87: Oct 12 2009, 02:56 PM

+Quote Post
boxieblue
post Oct 12 2009, 10:09 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE (adonisdemon @ Oct 13 2009, 02:30 AM) *
HTC Dream (aka T-Mobile G1) would be my suggestion, although it's camera is pretty rubbish. But if you can live with a 3.2mp camera, with no auto-focus and flash then the Touchscreen, physical QWERTY keyboard and the Android OS with it's marketplace is a pretty good overall experience. It should also be affordable and in your budget?

Or try looking at a few other Android powered handsets with physical qwerty keyboards, such as the Motorola DEXT - not sure if this is available in your region. This has a 5MP auto-focus camera too.

thanks for the suggestions Adonis (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) not sure if the Dream is available in India. besides, i will have to find out the viability of using Android in India.
but will definitely take a look at the handsets u mentioned

QUOTE (blade87 @ Oct 13 2009, 03:20 AM) *
It isn't a good idea to buy a phone without an OS so the Samsung Jet is out. I'd offer you to go for a device with Windows Mobile. I have a Samsung i900 flashed with Windows Mobile 6.5 Touch FLO v2 and I can tell you it's much better than Symbian . Also the camera of the i900 is pretty good. Search for some photos taken with it and you'll see. In my opinion you'll be better without a QWERTY keyboard, because it will only shrink your display to accommodate the keypad (if it is under the screen like the E-Series from Nokia). But also there are many HTC's that have a N97-like slide-out keyboard. Browse some of the HTC products. I can only tell you that the camera of most of HTC's isn't very good.
Here are my offers:
Number 1
Number 2
Number 3 (I recommend you this!) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

After you choose something, please share it with us.

i rejected touch diamond already....will take a look at the cruise and the i900 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

i have never liked using windows mobile OS....

thanks a lot blade (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

+Quote Post
blade87
post Oct 13 2009, 02:43 AM
Post #6

I'm glad that I can help! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)
Here are a some more suggestions, but I don't know if they fit in your budget:
Number One
Number Two
Number Three

The first two have a Full QWERTY keyboard.

This post has been edited by blade87: Oct 13 2009, 02:36 AM

+Quote Post
boxieblue
post Oct 13 2009, 04:13 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

what if i were to suddenly change my requirements and say i need a phone like the N95 with a normal slide-out keypad? (candybar is out)

TV out would be a great feature to have.
Ngage in landscape mode would be even better!
a good camera is a bonus, but not a necessity.

what phone would u recommend me now?? something other than the N86 pls. it is already on the list

P.S. this, of course, means that the phone won't have a touch screen....

This post has been edited by boxieblue: Oct 13 2009, 04:15 AM

+Quote Post
blade87
post Oct 13 2009, 05:07 AM
Post #8

You don't know what you want, do you? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
If I were you, I'd go for a touch-screen, because that the future of mobile phones.

I'd go for N85 then! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Others include:
First
Second
Third
Fourth
Fifth
Sixth
How Could I Forget (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
My Favorite From Those

This post has been edited by blade87: Oct 13 2009, 05:25 AM

+Quote Post
adonisdemon
post Oct 13 2009, 07:00 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Group: Admin Team
Member No.: 6549

N85 or the N76 would be the other alternative. N86 would still be my choice if that were the case.

QUOTE (boxieblue @ Oct 13 2009, 12:13 PM) *
what if i were to suddenly change my requirements and say i need a phone like the N95 with a normal slide-out keypad? (candybar is out)

what phone would u recommend me now?? something other than the N86 pls. it is already on the list

+Quote Post
boxieblue
post Oct 13 2009, 08:07 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (blade87 @ Oct 13 2009, 05:37 PM) *
If I were you, I'd go for a touch-screen, because that the future of mobile phones.

Others include:
First
Second
Third
Fourth
Fifth
Sixth
My Favorite From Those

QUOTE (adonisdemon @ Oct 13 2009, 07:30 PM) *
N85 or the N76 would be the other alternative. N86 would still be my choice if that were the case.

QUOTE (boxieblue @ Oct 13 2009, 12:13 PM) *

thanks for all the suggestions, again

and yes, i DO know what i want. the only problem is that i can't AFFORD what i want (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) what i want is the N900, but when it is launched, it would be wayyyy beyond my budget. even if it was about Rs. 25k i would have considered waiting, but the estimated Rs. 35k is a bit too much

so my next best option is to go for a phone that at least has a S60v5 OS and is cheap, so i can trade it in for a better phone later, instead of stretching my budget and buying sth that i will only be half-content with

thanks again
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/byebye.gif)

+Quote Post
boxieblue
post Oct 13 2009, 08:18 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (blade87 @ Oct 13 2009, 05:37 PM) *

Others include:
First
Second
Third
Fourth
Fifth
Sixth
My Favorite From Those

those are some pretty good options u have for me there :D

N81, N85 and N86 were already considered (not much of a difference between them anywayz, in terms of hardware)

from among your recommendations, here are my feelings on each one of them:
SE c905: nah...remember i want S60. this seems to be java only.
N81: already on list (but have already had this once...)
Samsung 810: very very interesting. specs look GREAT. price seems TOO cheap. gotta look deeper into this one
6210: nice....
e series: e75 looks interesting...will check this out as well
N95: seems too boring now. but will def consider it
i8590: wayyyyyyy beyond my budget. my budget is this much: (|||) you stretched it to this much: (||||||||||||||||) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
boxieblue
post Oct 13 2009, 08:25 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

ok, sorry for so many diff posts, but i want the content to be different.

blade77: the samsung G810 looks too good to be true. a 5MP cam with auto focus and Xenon flash? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) S60v3 (samsung has to pay nokia for it...)? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) and all the features i'd expect from a high end nokia phone.
but the specs are not the unbelievable part....the PRICE is. it is so darn cheap that i am amazed that people even buy the N81. surely it has some negatives? i wanna find them out

plus, there is one more question i wanted to ask you. my brother has a Samsung, and it seems he cant install games by transferring jar files from PC to phone. it has to be downloaded to the phone directly.
does the same problem exist on the G810? and any dark secrets about it i should know?? :D

EDIT: here is my shortlist:
Samsung G810
N81
N95

after having gone thru all specs, i don't see any major difference between 5530 and 5800 (except for screen size and battery life). need help here. what does the 5800 have that 5530 doesnt?

This post has been edited by boxieblue: Oct 13 2009, 08:50 AM

+Quote Post
boxieblue
post Oct 13 2009, 09:47 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

http://in.samsungmobile.com/mobile-phones/phone-search.do

y cant i find G810 on the official site?

+Quote Post
blade87
post Oct 13 2009, 10:09 AM
Post #14

Here's review of the G810. Check it out!

The differences as far as I can see between 5800 and 5530 are:
5530:
Main disadvantages:
*No 3G support
*No built-in GPS receiver
*No TV-out functionality
(These are the things that 5800 has and 5530 doesn't)

So the 5530 is out of the race.

I was joking about the N95, but if you want you can choose it as well!

What kind of Samsung? (I must warn you that i900 is my first Samsung phone that I have and it has Windows Mobile, not the Samsung OS. I'm not really familiar with it.) I've heard that you have to transfer the jad file with the jar to the phone. The other option as you mentioned is to download it directly to the phone. That should work!

And it's blade87, not 77. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
boxieblue
post Oct 14 2009, 08:36 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

sorry, did i make u 10 years older? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

i cant find Samsung G810 in any local shp (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

This post has been edited by boxieblue: Oct 14 2009, 08:36 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 02:59 PM