Closed TopicStart new topic
> Tour De France, any fans?
boxieblue
post Jul 29 2007, 08:48 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Junior Admin Team
Member No.: 583675

well, the 2007 tour is finally over, and we have a new winner-contador.
but this year's tour wasn't without its twists and turns. a doping scandal, expulsion et al
for the first time in history, the guy with the yellow jersey was expelled-rasmusen, though he was never tested positive for drugs. he was removed for missing the tests-4 times.
news-
Who ever said the Discovery Channel team couldn’t win a Tour de France without Lance Armstrong?

Alberto Contador won the doping-scarred Tour on Sunday, a new, young and unlikely winner for the three-week race shaken to its core by scandals.

Contador, a 24-year-old rider for the American Discovery Channel team, was the youngest champion since Jan Ullrich of Germany in 1997. He also was the first Spaniard to win the crown since the last of Miguel Indurain’s five titles in 1995.

His margin of victory — just 23 seconds ahead of Cadel Evans of Australia — was the second-narrowest in the Tour’s 104-year history, after 2,200 miles of racing through Britain, Belgium, Spain and France.

“It’s an extraordinary joy,” said Contador, who kissed his winner’s yellow jersey on the podium and thrust his arms ecstatically, the Arc de Triomphe in the background. Outside the Discovery team bus, staffers uncorked champagne.

“I think we’ve seen the future of Spanish cycling and perhaps international cycling,” said Armstrong, a seven-time Tour winner.

Another Discovery Channel rider, Levi Leipheimer of the United States, finished third, 31 seconds behind.

Contador, speaking through a translator, called his victory a “dream come true.”

PARIS: All the doping drama at this year's Tour de France may have added to the excitement.

Alexandre Vinokourov and Cristian Moreni both tested positive, Michael Rasmussen was kicked out for allegedly lying about where he was when he missed tests, and German rider Patrik Sinkewitz was caught out by a pre-Tour test.

For 35-year-old American rider Chris Horner of the Predictor-Lotto team, this Tour seemed like a Hollywood-style melodrama.

"It has been a crazy Tour de France, but it has been an exciting one, too, for us as riders and I'm sure for the fans," Horner, who finished 15th, said Sunday. "It's been exciting, the racing and, of course, the drama outside."

The Tour was certainly not short of talking points.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rubg
post Aug 2 2007, 09:49 AM
Post #2

Group: Super Members
Member No.: 1174272

I am not really a fan, this year I forgot to watch it,
and all the rides who take drugs make the race look bad.

+Quote Post
_Abi_
post Apr 21 2010, 02:56 AM
Post #3

Group: Super Members
Member No.: 5797737

yea i like to.............

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 09:19 AM