IPB
> Tutorials For The Beginners, ...learn how to edit and mix mp3s
VanjaT630
post Feb 25 2007, 08:54 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Site Contributor
Member No.: 77716

You want to make a mix or simple ringtone.. and dont know how?

Firstable, go to http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ and download Audacity.

About Audacity

Audacity is a free, easy-to-use audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems. You can use Audacity to:

*Record live audio.
*Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs.
*Edit Ogg Vorbis, MP3, WAV or AIFF sound files.
*Cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together.
*Change the speed or pitch of a recording.
*And more!

After you download audacity - you will also need this http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/lame - Lame MP3 encoder, so you can save your files as mp3's.

And thats it! Free and amazing tool is all you need for start.
Tutorials coming soon :)

This post has been edited by pantoflica: Jul 24 2008, 05:28 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
PG001
post Feb 4 2010, 06:04 AM
Post #2

Group: Super Members
Member No.: 5332564

A Tip :
I Found it In A Pro Dj Site Using Audacity and analogx tap tempo
these tips are simple but EFFECTIVE!!!!!!!

Be an Audacity DJ

Bearing in mind that what I'm going to show you in this post can allow you to make perfect-sounding mixes, but it will never be the same as actually mixing on real decks. And it's not the best way of DJing free, either.

There are programs out there such as Mixxx, which are quite well-known, but since I don't use it, I can't say much about it (it does sound cool, though!).

So, anyway, this post is mainly about doing DJ mixes with the open-source audio editor Audacity. We will also be using AnalogX TapTempo to help you beatmatch easier.

Just in case you didn't know, a DJ mix is whereby two tracks are first beatmatched - This means that the second track must be sped up or slowed down to be at the same speed as the first track. When the first track is about to finish, the second track starts.

The two tracks are supposed to blend together so well that the two tracks sound like one continuous track. That is a DJ Mix.

Part 1 - Choosing Tracks

The first thing we need to do now, is to decide which two tracks you want to use.

Here are some tips for choosing tracks. These tips are not exhaustive, and they aren't always right, either. Feel free to flout any of these depending on your experience and desired effect.

1) The songs should be of a similar tempo. (I'll help you get an accurate reading of the tempo later in this post) - Basically the BPM values of the two tracks should not differ by more than 10 BPM for faster tracks (tracks 100 BPM and above), or 5 BPM for slower tracks (tracks below 100 BPM, especially tracks as slow as 75 BPM)
2) The two tracks should be similar in style and genre. (You wouldn't want to mix an emo song with a rock song, would you? They just wouldn't sound right together)
3) The two tracks should be of a similar key. (This is important when the tracks are playing together, you can optionally shift the key of a track, but it'll sound a little strange)

Part 2 - Getting the BPM of the First Track

Alright, so now you've picked the songs you want, drag and drop the first song into audacity, and follow the steps...

1) Launch TapTempo
2) Play the first track
3) Switch over to TapTempo and let the track play in the background
4) Whenever there's a beat, hit the spacebar
5) In TapTempo, there should be three values, concentrate the most on the first "Tempo". Continue tapping until the value stabilizes. This means that you can take an average value when the tempo fluctuates by about +/- 2.

If you didn't understand step 5, think about this example: I'm tapping to the beat of a track, and after a short while, the "Tempo" field reads between 119.6 and 120.4 BPM (the value will change with each tap). So the average value should be about 120 BPM.

Part 3 - Getting the BPM of the Second Track

So now you've got the tempo of the first track. Our goal now is to match the tempo of the second track with the tempo of the first track.

Before we do that, though. We also need to know the tempo of the second track.

So, repeat the steps in the previous section, to calculate the tempo of the second track. You cannot use the same TapTempo window. You must close that window and open a new one before working on a second track!

Part 4 - Change the speed of the second track

Alright, if you've read this far, I'll assume you've gotten the BPM of both tracks.

1) Now, load the second track into Audacity
2) Go to Effect -> Change Tempo
3) Look for the field that reads "Beats Per Minute (BPM)"
4) In the "From" field, type the BPM of the second track
5) In the "To" field, type the BPM of the first track

Now, the two tracks are quite beatmatched (it's not going to be perfect).

Part 5 - Get the tracks in time

Listen to the ending part of the first track to decide where the second track will start playing. I suggest you find a drum beat near the end of the first track that will be suitable.

Now inspect the starting part of the second track, and find a drum beat that adequately marks the start of the track.

You can use the waveform to help you. Just in case you didn't know, you can quite accurately find drum beats visually by looking for stuff like this:

That is a single beat. Notice how the starting of the beat is very tall, and it falls away quite quickly.

Of course, within songs, we're not going to get beats so nicely shown to us. There's bound to be other instruments that will interfere in the waveform.

So here's a short snippet of a song. See if you can identify the beats!

Done? Using the same segment of the track, I've highlighted where the more significant beats are with red lines. Notice I didn't do up every beat, and that I've actually left some gaps. Also notice that the beats are evenly spaced out - This is supposed to happen since the beats in a song are at regular intervals:

With all the knowledge you've acquired, it is now time to put the two tracks together!

With the two tracks, one on top of the other, you need to now pull the second track, such that the selected beat of the second track plays at the same time as the selected beat of the first track.

To pull any track around, select the time-shift tool from the top left corner of the screen, and then drag the track. Here's the time-shift tool...

What you want is the two beats coinciding like this:

Part 6 - Review

Alright! Now move your cursor near the joint area and play it back. Now is the time to review the mix. Here are a couple of pointers to think about.

1) Are the beats matched? The first beat may match perfectly, but the later beats may slowly slip out of time. This is common, so don't worry. If you get a perfect mix, you're just lucky. I'll come back to solving this problem in a bit.

2) Is your cue point (the two coinciding points I told you to choose earlier) working alright? Are the beats working well together? Use your ears and intuition. All I can say is, they will either sound okay, or sound strange. If they sound strange, try a different cue point.

3) How well do the two tracks work together? This is where the choosing of tracks is important. If one track sounds really awkward because it got sped up too much, you know you've chosen the wrong track.

Part 7 - Pitch Bend saves the day

Let's say the tracks are almost in beat, but the second track is 'sliding' slowly out of beat.

Look at it visually and you'll know what to do...

At the start, the two tracks are synchronised:

But, if we moved down later in time, the beats may appear to have 'slipped' out of sync. In this case, the second track seems to have moved away in the direction of the yellow arrow:

So what we need to do, is to push the track in the direction opposite to the yellow arrow.

But you shouldn't do a time shift, because that will disarrange the first beat. Instead, use pitch bend, which temporarily speeds up or slows down a track.

This is how I do it. Slightly before the beat, select some of the track, and slow it down a little. (To do that, go to Effect -> Change Speed. Enter a small negative value like -0.1%)

What happens is that, when it gets slowed down, the selected area will expand in size, pushing everything to the right of it in the direction of the yellow arrow.

In this example, the second track was too fast, and therefore was slipping towards the left. It is possible the the track is too slow instead, and thus appears to be slipping to the right. That way, you must speed up the track instead. So, in the change speed dialog, enter a small positive percentage like 0.1% instead.

Pitch bending requires practise. Don't do it too the same area too much or it'll sound out of key. If there is a need to pitch bend to a large amount on the same area, use "Change Tempo" instead. However, there should not be such a need unless you didn't tap in your BPM correctly.

Alright, we've covered A LOT in this post. Let's review what we've done.

1) Choose two tracks
2) Get the BPM of the two tracks
3) Match the BPM of the two tracks
4) Find a cue point
5) Match up the cue points
6) Review the mix
7) Pitch bend as necessary

Mixing takes a lot of practise. Mixing with Audacity takes EVEN MORE practise. I'll add on more tips in the future so that your mix will sound even better, but if you've read through this entire post at one go, I applaud you. Go try it out, and remember, practise, practise, practise.
That's The Mantra !!!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 03:05 AM