IPB
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Doc's Tips For Newbie Themers, Primarily SE of course..
dr_megabyte
post Nov 15 2006, 04:37 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: TMC Manager
Member No.: 102261

I will try to compress all of it into one post..

First off you will need the Sony Ericsson Theme Creator. The latest version can be downloaded HERE!

Alternative link

You will need some graphics software and the one I think is the best for beginners is Jasc/Corel Paint Shop Pro. Any version above 8 (I use 9). Adobe Photoshop also works but it's far more advanced than Paint Shop Pro and not as easy to get started with. Gimp is another good one and it's free. Use Google as always..

Now you have all that is needed to make a brilliant theme. Only your mind sets the limitations of your creations.

These are just my personal opinions and I'm sure there are themers that disagree with some parts, but these are the most important parts imo:

Tip #1: Make it as functional as possible! Meaning don't use bright backgrounds with bright text. Everything has to be readable throughout the theme. Also, try to avoid too high contrasts in the background image for the navigation screens, because that will make it hard to get a text-color that works on all areas.

Tip #2: Use high quality images. When selecting backgrounds use no highly compressed jpg's and don't use gif at all unless you're animating! And try to use more than one background image in a theme.

Tip #3: Practice! There's no shortcuts to a good theme (unless you steal it..). Practice in your graphics software is an absolute must!

Tip #4: Variation. The key to progress imo! When you think you made a great theme, don't repeat the same process again although this is very common especially with beginners.

Tip #5: Attention to detail. Don't leave anything with a "that will do"-attitude. Make it as good as you can and use this mentality to all parts of the theme.

Tip #6: Research. Just to see what is possible, check some of our great themers threads for inspiration and ideas.

Tip #7: Originality. Make everything yourself! No themers like when people rip their softbars or highlights.

Tip #8: Patience. Both when it comes to the work in your graphics program and in the theme maker. Don't rush it, making a theme will take some time but in the end it will be worth it!

Tip #9: Patience.. Can't have enough of that!

Tip #10: Skill. You'll need some if you want to make really good themes. Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro are recommended since most themers use those programs and tutorials are easy to come by. Things like layers and transparency are things I think you have to know about.

To help out Alien Skin has some really good filters that fits both Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro. Those made by Alien Skin that I use are; Eye Candy 4000, Eye Candy 5: Nature, Eye Candy 5: Impact, Eye Candy 5: Textures and Xenofex.

I have written a few tutorials to guide you step by step:

Making a theme in Paint Shop Pro:
http://www.skorpan.dk/tut/theme.html

Softbar creation:
http://www.skorpan.dk/tut/softbar.html

Making a theme preview:
http://www.skorpan.dk/tut/preview/preview.html

Functionality:
http://www.skorpan.dk/tut/function/function.html

That's it! Now visit some of the threads of the M9-themers and you WILL get inspired! Once you've started making your themes, set up your own thread in the SE section and the comments and suggestions will start pouring in.

This post has been edited by dr_megabyte: Feb 4 2007, 04:18 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jasnasto
post Nov 15 2006, 05:04 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 6981

Finally... :clap2: :pray: :10:

+Quote Post
Patrick_Lippe
post Nov 15 2006, 05:10 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Certified Themer
Member No.: 51414

Great doc, i can only add try to make your own styles, patterns and brushes. There are loads of tuts on the net how to make them.

+Quote Post
mohammed_intekha...
post Nov 15 2006, 07:17 AM
Post #4

Group: Super Members
Member No.: 263860

finaly doc :clap2: you do it it helps us mostly
I really like tip 8 .I will give time to make theme
:10: :10:

+Quote Post
Oopsession
post Nov 15 2006, 07:27 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: Gifted Themer
Member No.: 210063

Great work Doc :clap: :clap: :10: :grouphug:

+Quote Post
maampia
post Nov 15 2006, 09:17 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 1209

Nice one Doc! :thumbs_up:

+Quote Post
CrystalEYE
post Nov 16 2006, 11:35 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Group: Gifted Themer
Member No.: 95794

:pray:

And just to add:

Tip #11: Do NEVER stretch an image!!!! Resizing is okay, but keep the proportions of the original image.

+Quote Post
beano
post Nov 28 2006, 06:50 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 1387

Don't resize up - only resize down. If you have to resize down, don't go too far, or the image quality will suffer.

+Quote Post
Lucas66
post Nov 28 2006, 11:26 AM
Post #9

Group: Partial Members
Member No.: 723195

Does anyone have or know of any tutorials on making icons?

+Quote Post
dr_megabyte
post Nov 29 2006, 02:02 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Added another one to the first post:

Functionality:

+Quote Post
jasnasto
post Nov 29 2006, 11:38 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 6981

This is great, doc... :pray: :clap2:

+Quote Post
mohammed_intekha...
post Nov 30 2006, 12:34 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 263860

@doc:-great doc
its help me more :byebye:

+Quote Post
thomas_sweden
post Dec 2 2006, 06:56 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 248520

that functionality tut is great... even though I don't follow it :lol: great tips too!

This post has been edited by thomas_sweden: Dec 2 2006, 06:56 AM

+Quote Post
rabz6969
post Jan 16 2007, 05:28 PM
Post #14

Group: Partial Members
Member No.: 944550

QUOTE(dr_megabyte @ Nov 15 2006, 05:37 AM)
I will try to compress all of it into one post..

First off you will need the Sony Ericsson Theme Creator. The latest version can be downloaded HERE!

You will need some graphics software and the one I think is the best for beginners is Jasc/Corel Paint Shop Pro. Any version above 8 (I use 9). Adobe Photoshop also works but it's far more advanced than Paint Shop Pro and not as easy to get started with. Gimp is another good one and it's free. Use Google as always..

Now you have all that is needed to make a brilliant theme. Only your mind sets the limitations of your creations.

These are just my personal opinions and I'm sure there are themers that disagree with some parts, but these are the most important parts imo:

Tip #1: Make it as functional as possible! Meaning don't use bright backgrounds with bright text. Everything has to be readable throughout the theme. Also, try to avoid too high contrasts in the background image for the navigation screens, because that will make it hard to get a text-color that works on all areas.

Tip #2: Use high quality images. When selecting backgrounds use no highly compressed jpg's and don't use gif at all unless you're animating! And try to use more than one background image in a theme.

Tip #3: Practice! There's no shortcuts to a good theme (unless you steal it..). Practice in your graphics software is an absolute must!

Tip #4: Variation. The key to progress imo! When you think you made a great theme, don't repeat the same process again although this is very common especially with beginners.

Tip #5: Attention to detail. Don't leave anything with a "that will do"-attitude. Make it as good as you can and use this mentality to all parts of the theme.

Tip #6: Research. Just to see what is possible, check some of our great themers threads for inspiration and ideas.

Tip #7: Originality. Make everything yourself! No themers like when people rip their softbars or highlights.

Tip #8: Patience. Both when it comes to the work in your graphics program and in the theme maker. Don't rush it, making a theme will take some time but in the end it will be worth it!

Tip #9: Patience.. Can't have enough of that!

Tip #10: Skill. You'll need some if you want to make really good themes. Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro are recommended since most themers use those programs and tutorials are easy to come by. Things like layers and transparency are things I think you have to know about.

To help out Alien Skin has some really good filters that fits both Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro. Those made by Alien Skin that I use are; Eye Candy 4000, Eye Candy 5: Nature, Eye Candy 5: Impact, Eye Candy 5: Textures and Xenofex.

I have written a few tutorials to guide you step by step:

Making a theme in Paint Shop Pro:
http://www.skorpan.dk/tut/theme.html

Softbar creation:
http://www.skorpan.dk/tut/softbar.html

Making a theme preview:
http://www.skorpan.dk/tut/preview/preview.html

Functionality:

That's it! Now visit some of the threads of the M9-themers and you WILL get inspired! Once you've started making your themes, set up your own thread in the SE section and the comments and suggestions will start pouring in.
[right][snapback]254700[/snapback][/right]

Hey i really appreciate the link but the site says that the page is unavailable. Do you know if the particular site is still running and if it isnt is there anyway that you could tell me another theme making software site. Thanks

+Quote Post
dr_megabyte
post Jan 17 2007, 02:23 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

@rabz6969
It may have been down temporarily..

This is SE's site and it works for me:
http://developer.sonyericsson.com/site/glo..._multimedia.jsp